Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots.

What does her stool look like? What are you feeding her? What meds is she on? What treats does she get?

I would pick one bland, high fiber diet and stick with it for a couple of weeks for starters. No treats, no switching food around, etc.

Depending on what meds were tried, there may be others available...

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I don't know if this is the same in dogs as it is in cats, but our cat had a terrible problem with soft and runny stools. Finally the vet called for blood work and figured out that she had hypothyroid disease. She had an over active thyroid and was given tapizol. Almost immediately, her stools returned to normal.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I had the exact same thing with my first Maltese, Rosebud. Everything was tried and the thing that worked for 10 years was a high fiber dog food. I started feeding her Hill's Prescription Diet w/d. It was a total miracle! I had been keeping records of her BMs and what she ate, etc. and no luck. With w/d she had firm stools the rest of her life. I could not give her anything other than w/d.. any thing else and she had loose stools with mucous. Here is what the site says:Prescription Diet w/d

"Excess weight, diabetes and digestive troubles can cause problems for your dog. Feeding the right food can help your pet live a healthier lifestyle. Prescription Diet® Canine w/d®, with its fiber rich formula, may be useful as a nutritional aid for dogs with fiber responsive diseases such as diabetes mellitus, colitis, diarrhea, constipation, and to help manage overweight dogs, including those with struvite urolithiasis. The nutritional formulation of Prescription Diet® w/d® may also be useful for pets with a variety of conditions."

Canned Prescription Diet w/d
The canned version is rather innocuous as far as the ingredients are concerned. Nothing horrible:
"Water, egg product, corn meal, chicken, cracked pearled barley, pork liver, powdered cellulose, chicken liver flavor, vegetable oil, taurine, L-tryptophan, L-carnitine, minerals (calcium sulfate, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, salt, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), beta-carotene, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin D3 supplement vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid(a source of vitamin C), thiamine mononitrate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement)."

The dry has ingredients I would not want in the food and would not use the dry because of this:(red=ingredients I don't care for)

Prescription Diet Canned w/d
"Corn meal, peanut hulls 26.0% (a source of fiber), chicken by-product meal, chicken liver flavor, dried egg product, vegetable oil, L-lysine, L-tryptophan, taurine, L-carnitine, preserved with BHT, BHA and ethoxyquin, minerals (potassium chloride, salt, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), beta-carotene, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement)."

Good luck... keep us posted!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts