Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the weather is nicer we've been going outdoors for walks daily. When I bring her in her paws are dirty and black. Should I be washing her every time or use a good quality wipe. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Hahaha....I know just what you are talking about. When our Boyz go out to play in the yard their legs and feet are a mess. I just dip them into the sink of warm water, knee deep, and dry them off.
Spring is so much fun!!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I won't let Rylee walk on the city sidewalks, I use a stroller for that. I think they can step into something really icky:brownbag: on the areas outside of our house. That being said we have a large house and backyard for her to run and romp in.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
We have shoes, but they always come off her feet and she' not a big fan of them either. Welcome to owning a long-haired white doggie. :)

'Dirty, what's wrong with dirty?' ~ Gigi check out the grass, leaves, dust and twiggs that Gigi's hair mops up, and nope she's not white anymore. (before she had a half bath and blow dry for 30 mins when we got home) LOL Wonder why this(last week) was her first walk since November!:w00t: Bad thing is, she STILL wasn't white AFTER the bath. :angry:

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
That is one of the reasons why I keep my two in short coat. Besides, it fits their active lifestyle better. Of course, they can live active with long coats, but it makes my job much easier :p

When they still get dirty and filthy on their paws/legs (of course, less than how dirty they would get if they were in long coats), this is what I also do: "I just dip them into the sink of warm water (no shampoo), knee deep, and dry them off" then brush them - then they look all fluffy again ^_^ Nothing beats seeing them happy; even if it means that they can get dirty while going crazy. I LOVE IT

Have fun outdoors with your cutie pie ;)

Kat

·
Registered
257 Posts
I fill the tub up with about 2 inches of water, put a little bit of diluted shampoo on his paws and let him walk around in the tub for a lil bit and his feet are nice and clean again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wash Charlie's paws everytime he goes out which is a 2-3 times a week. I'm not sure how bad it is for him as I'm using puppy shampoo which I hope isn't too harsh on his skin. He gets so dirty that I doubt not shampoo'ing will work. I almost bought him boots but Charlie isn't one to wear stuff.

·
Premium Member
13,437 Posts
I fill the tub up with about 2 inches of water, put a little bit of diluted shampoo on his paws and let him walk around in the tub for a lil bit and his feet are nice and clean again.

same with me, and sometimes I use a very soft nail brush to scrub his paws.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
LOL we are going thru the same thing right now too! I don't walk B&E in the winter but now that the weather is warming up we have been going for long walks. B&E are not in full coat but they arent' exactly short. They get filthy. Black bellies and feet. I have made it a point to get a walk in before their bath...I let them get really dirty and have a blast since they are getting a bath anyway, but on non bath days I put them in the sink and wash their feet & bellies off. It's a pain but they need the exercise and they love going out. I think I may cut Benny down in a shorter coat for summer. Ironic b/c he is shorter than Emma but always is the one to get dirtier. LOL must be b/c he is a boy.

Seeing how happy the walks make them I just deal w/the aftermath of cleaning them up!

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I have only let Delilah run lose in the backyard three times since she came to live with us. She picked up EVERY leaf,grass and twig. Was not fun to clean up. I am super paranoid about her running free in the backyard. Even when we are outside. I see waaayyyy to many hawks around. I have heard/read to many instances where these birds have swipped small dogs and kittens. Even my late Dixie's mother was attacked by a hawk and she is a pretty good size malt.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
my dolce gets black when we go out , n mind u he doesnt even like walking. lol

·
Registered
257 Posts
I forget to mention that I usually have louis is a t shirt when hes outside, especially when his hair is longer cause his belly picks up twigs and leaves. I really like the american apparel ones cause it feel like it covers more fur even though it isnt the cutest. Im not too worried if they get dirty cause its easy to wash.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Every time we bring Poppy in I have to dry his face (it gets soaked when he plays hard), dry his feet in the morning or at night when the grass is wet, and usually brush his legs and belly to get out any leaves and twigs. He has such a great time out there, and I don't mind the extra work ... but he does. If I could just convince him that it's all a part of having fun ... and that clean is a good thing. LOL

I didn't think about the Shamwows ... I think we have some here ... I'll have to look!

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I try to take Aolani outside at least 3 times a week and several times during the weekend (even in the winter) cause I feel that he gets anxious and bored if he doesn't have his walk. Even with that he's still not doing too good around other dogs and people, but we're just gonna keep trying. Anyway, we've both gotten used to cleaning up after the walk - both im and I are very patient about it. I use a little bit of puppy shampoo on his paws and belly if that gets dirty too, then dry him up with a towel and he's off again. I also don't leave him outside in the backyard by himself for fear that a bigger animal might attack him.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

May I interest you in some dirt, my darling?

Why yes, Mom...I'd like a little dirt please.

BWAHAHAHA
That's fantastic JMM ... love the shots!!! :aktion033:

HUGz! Jules

1 - 20 of 29 Posts