Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was just wondering how much exercise a Maltese needs dring the day so he'll sleep at night.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Alex never had a sleeping problem and we don't exercise like going on walks. He gets his exercise from running from one window to the other trying to chase birds and squirrels away. He will jump up and down a couch to see outside and then try to see if the people walking in front of the house don't come inside the yard. We play fetch with him 2 to 3 times a day. He will run back and forth 3 - 4 times and then play by himself. That's about all the exercise he will get. As long as he does not hear something during the night, he will be quiet.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Honestly even if my boys don't get much exercise (besides their normal playing) they sleep just fine! It's amazing how much time they spend sleeping. I do usually (weather permitting) take them for walks and play outside a few times a day.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i know that i walk my maltese more than a lot of people on here. some people dont even let their dogs in the backyard....

i do 2 1-hr walks everyday. a hike is best because they get REALLY tired doing that. and do a lot of fetch.
maybe like 90 min before bed.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
All of my previous adult Malts have needed to walk a mile or more a day and then play fetch. I bought older pups so they got into that long of a walk pretty fast. Only one dog, Jonathan, is not much for exercise. He'd rather lay on the couch all day! Mikey has only not needed that much exercise (we use to do at least 2 miles/day) since he got really sick.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
We to play with Puddles a lot in the house. I think he gets more excerside that way, running up and down the hall, fetching and even chasing hubby.

When were out side, he's to busy sniffing or trying to eat something. The ashpalt is to hot on his paws and I have not been lucky enough to get those dang boots on him yet.

Most of the time, I play with him around 10 pm for 30 mins. We then go potty and he's ready for bed, don't hear any thing out of him all night.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley gets most of his exercise in the house. We play fetch with him several times a day, he wrestles with Spencer cat, and plays hide and seek with Littles Cat...there is usually a wrestling/chasing match with the kids thrown in there somewhere.

He potties inside, but when I am outside with the kids, or big dogs, I put him on his leash and he torments Abbey and Annie...

When the kids have a ballgame, he goes with us to the park...that really wears him out!

Since my foot is finally feeling better after my surgery in the spring, I have been taking walks more...so he goes with me on those and I walk him until he just falls over when we come home...

He really has never had a problem sleeping through the night. I think once they are trained and used to a routine, it all works out.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
K, thanks. I take him for a 40 min walk a day and 2 walks a day on the weekends. Plus we play with his toys for about a half hour a day. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't depriving him. But still, when he starts barking at those voices in his head at night I could just about scream!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Jun 7 2005, 09:19 PM
All of my previous adult Malts have needed to walk a mile or more a day and then play fetch. I bought older pups so they got into that long of a walk pretty fast. Only one dog, Jonathan, is not much for exercise. He'd rather lay on the couch all day! Mikey has only not needed that much exercise (we use to do at least 2 miles/day) since he got really sick.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70323
[/QUOTE]
How is Mikey feeling these days?
Quincymom

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Quincymom@Jun 16 2005, 01:16 PM
Quincymom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73108
[/QUOTE]

We just got home from Cornell last night. His ultrasound looked good other than kidney changes (he has early kidney disease in addition to everything else, but not a big deal right now). They tweaked his meds and after a week of the steroid dose change we're reducing the fat in his food by replacing a portion of kibble with tofu (or if he doesn't tolerate that eggs or pasta or something). He had a bad day today with nausea and a rumbling tummy, but is sleeping comfortably now. He also strained his back last week on top of everything else. He is doing better since he got acupuncture and will go in again for that next week.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by JMM+Jun 16 2005, 08:06 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Quincymom
@Jun 16 2005, 01:16 PM

Quincymom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73108
We just got home from Cornell last night. His ultrasound looked good other than kidney changes (he has early kidney disease in addition to everything else, but not a big deal right now). They tweaked his meds and after a week of the steroid dose change we're reducing the fat in his food by replacing a portion of kibble with tofu (or if he doesn't tolerate that eggs or pasta or something). He had a bad day today with nausea and a rumbling tummy, but is sleeping comfortably now. He also strained his back last week on top of everything else. He is doing better since he got acupuncture and will go in again for that next week.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73226
[/B][/QUOTE]
Poor guy,I hope he feels much better very soon.He is so lucky to have someone like you to love him & take care of his needs.Prayers for only good things for him & you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts