Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dixie does this licking thing. She is excessively licking her nose. Over and over :new_Eyecrazy: . The vet said maybe her eyes were irritated from the teething [6.5 month old now], but I am not so sure. She gave me a tetraciclyne ointment, but she won't let me put it in. She squirms and fights it. Her nose doesn't drip from allergies. I am concerned that she is going to lick it raw! She also licks us a lot. Any ideas? Her tounge [sp?] must get tired from all this licking. This has been going on for a long time.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I am not sure why she is licking her nose, but if she is teething her little mouth could be sore and that is perhaps her way of comforting herself. I have noticed when Scooby gets something stuck in his teeth he too licks his nose a lot till I clean the offending matter out of his teeth.
As for the licking you that is a Maltese thing and the way they show their affection, they shower us with their kisses, also they sometimes love the taste of face and hand lotions so they will lick it all off if you let them.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Little C used to be a half-crazed licker. Felt like I was getting a scrub down after every shower. Then, I switched soaps and lotions. She lost interest. :D I just have to be careful with my chapstick now.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Oh yes I forgot to mention the lip balm, Scooby would lick that off completely if we let him. It's so funny because I always put some on before bed and he climbs right up on my chest and fights with me to get at it, it's like a game we play every night, tooooooo funny

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Fach@Oct 14 2005, 06:41 AM
Dixie does this licking thing. She is excessively licking her nose. Over and over :new_Eyecrazy: . The vet said maybe her eyes were irritated from the teething [6.5 month old now], but I am not so sure. She gave me a tetraciclyne ointment, but she won't let me put it in. She squirms and fights it. Her nose doesn't drip from allergies. I am concerned that she is going to lick it raw! She also licks us a lot. Any ideas? Her tounge [sp?] must get tired from all this licking. This has been going on for a long time.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=109554
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the in put. I'll ask the vet to look farther into it. hopefully it is just teething as suggested. I hope she doesn't lick her little nose raw. ouch. I figured the licking me part was normal. Only mentioned it b/c it might have been rellevent. If I have some major revelation I'll be sure to share. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Oct 14 2005, 08:58 AM
Oh yes I forgot to mention the lip balm, Scooby would lick that off completely if we let him. It's so funny because I always put some on before bed and he climbs right up on my chest and fights with me to get at it, it's like a game we play every night, tooooooo funny

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=109597
[/QUOTE]

OH MY GOSH!!

Jack and I play this EXACT same game every night before bed!!!
:D
I put the chapstick on, and he clambers all over me trying to lick it off my lips!! Sometimes I'll smear a little on his nose just to watch him try to lick it all off his own face

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by JMM@Oct 14 2005, 07:23 PM
Is she nauseous?

Is there hair in her mouth?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=109816
[/QUOTE]
No I don't think that is it. I don't know if it might be like a thumb sucking/comforting thing for her. She does it without fail when she is nervous like meeting new people. She just does it an awful lot regardless.

[she is not high strung. She is very outgoing]

·
Registered
88 Posts
My 14 week old Malt also licks things... he'll just get into a weird mood and lick whatever is in front of his face repeatedly. The floor, the bedsheets, the couch, my husband or me. We thought it was very odd and try to make him stop (the floor, bedsheets and couch at least.)

Has he always done this or just recently started?

After going to the beach Koa likes to lick the salt off my body. hehe.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My buddy did the same thing when I first got him from rescue. He needed 9 teeth pulled then,so I attributed it to that.

However, he started up again several weeks later, but outgrew it for the most part.

ONCE IN A WHILE, he will go thru a 10 minute bout of this (no hair or foreign object in his mouth) and then will stop.

I never found the reason, but since it is so infrequent now, I just let him do it till he stops.

Good luck with a solution! I hope you find one soon!!!!

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Lori_G@Oct 17 2005, 03:42 AM
My buddy did the same thing when I first got him from rescue.  He needed 9 teeth pulled then,so I attributed it to that.

However, he started up again several weeks later, but outgrew it for the most part.

ONCE IN A WHILE, he will go thru a 10 minute bout of this (no hair or foreign object in his mouth) and then will stop.

I never found the reason, but since it is so infrequent now, I just let him do it till he stops.

Good luck with a solution!  I hope  you find one soon!!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110430
[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I'll let you know if she stops. maybe it is the teeth that need to come out. I hate to put her under again. Wish i knew to do it when she was spayed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts