Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone. Our 5 month old Maltese, Tiny, has really bad tear stains on his beautiful face.
We have tried everything and there is no improvement.
He eats grain free kibbles, Wellness Core Complete Health to be exact. He drinks bottled water on a stainless steel bowl. He is taking chewables from Angel Eyes. We wipe his eye area with aloe vera wipes specifically for eye tear staining.
As you guys can see we have many different methods for preventing and treating them but they won鈥檛 go away.
We are looking to change his kibbles to see if that will help but with so many different options we don鈥檛 know which one to choose.
Has anybody had this problem and if so how did you solve this big issue?
Any help and tips will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Registered
A while back I started a thread about what I was doing for Zita's tear stains. Here's a link to that thread:

I have changed one thing since then. I discontinued the Tylosan after a couple months because she was still staining. Granted, Zita looks pretty good in those photos, but that was because I had just cut and shaved all the red fur off. I'm still using all the things I mentioned for cleaning and wiping her eyes (because I have it, I figure it's not harming her, and maybe it's better than nothing). But honestly, the only thing that really helps is to keep the fur trimmed super short. Otherwise her face would be very dark red.

Just today I had a thought, and was wondering if massage to the tear ducts might help. I googled that, and learned that tear duct massage is recommended for humans (especially babies) with clogged ducts. I watched a video on how to do it (very simple) so starting today will be trying that 2-3 times a day. I'll post again in a few weeks as to whether or not it helped.

Registered
Your pup is precious! At 5-6 months, it may still be teething, and tear stains would be common. Choosing a high quality food can help too, as you mentioned. I鈥檓 not a fan of Angel Eyes, or the like, but others may disagree. I just prefer a holistic / natural approach. If you browse the search engine on this site, you鈥檒l find lots of info. Best wishes.

Premium Member
I agree with teething being a potential cause. I use Always Bright Eyes and had good sucess after my baby stopped teething. I found you need to really rub the solution into the fur with your fingers and then comb through with fine comb. Hope this helps.

Registered
Good evening everyone. Our 5 month old Maltese, Tiny, has really bad tear stains on his beautiful face.
We have tried everything and there is no improvement.
He eats grain free kibbles, Wellness Core Complete Health to be exact. He drinks bottled water on a stainless steel bowl. He is taking chewables from Angel Eyes. We wipe his eye area with aloe vera wipes specifically for eye tear staining.
As you guys can see we have many different methods for preventing and treating them but they won鈥檛 go away.
We are looking to change his kibbles to see if that will help but with so many different options we don鈥檛 know which one to choose.
Has anybody had this problem and if so how did you solve this big issue?
Any help and tips will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. View attachment 274259

Registered
Always bright eyes. Is natural . I just bought some . They have a video on there web site it shows you how to use it. my bubbles just past about 2months ago. He got those stains too. I keep him short, I would cut it off. But I just decided I wanted to get another baby Maltese I miss him so much. But with this next puppy I want to see if I can grow him out. So I started looking on line and this product looks really good. Check it out in line. Hope that helps you. Have fun with your cute baby.

Registered
I have a question . My other Maltese was cut short. I want to grow out my new puppy. I was looking on line how to wrap there hair with papers. 1 do you know we鈥檙e to get them? Plus 2 do I need to take them out every day to brush or every ? Thanks

Registered
My Lucy was prescribed Temaril P last September it did not help and she was tired all the time. Now she is 17 months old and I was her eyes and face daily with Blueberry Facial and Spa pet shampoos that and trimming around her eyes helps I also rub her tear ducts daily. The only thing that works is consistency! Hope this helps

Premium Member
I have a question . My other Maltese was cut short. I want to grow out my new puppy. I was looking on line how to wrap there hair with papers. 1 do you know we鈥檙e to get them? Plus 2 do I need to take them out every day to brush or every ? Thanks
I do not recommend wrapping your dog in papers. That is a lot of work and for show dogs and if done incorrectly can cause damage to the coat. Abella has a long coat and I never have wrapped her in papers.

IMG_0521.jpg

Premium Member
I do not recommend wrapping your dog in papers. That is a lot of work and for show dogs and if done incorrectly can cause damage to the coat. Abella has a long coat and I never have wrapped her in papers.

View attachment 274308
Abella's Mommy, she is beautiful. How old is she? I am letting Nani's coat grow out also and she is 10 months old. Just wondering how long it took to get hers that long.

Registered
To prevent tear stains I use distilled water in her stainless bowl. I clean her eyes with a contact lens solution containing hydrogen peroxide. I do not put in eyes but wipe with soaked cotton pad. Frequent drying of the face and eyes 3 times daily.

Registered
Kobe, 3 months, Maltese
To prevent tear stains I use distilled water in her stainless bowl. I clean her eyes with a contact lens solution containing hydrogen peroxide. I do not put in eyes but wipe with soaked cotton pad. Frequent drying of the face and eyes 3 times daily.
Contact solution and hydrogen peroxide sounds so smart. What quantity is your mixture? Is it equal quantity? 1:1? That would be more affordable than these things for year stand online. And proven obviously. 馃槵馃槝

Registered
Hi, when I got Cody as a pup my Cody had the same eye stain as Tiny. I gave and still do with all my pets give Poland spring water in their bowl no tap water. As soon as I changed to that within a few months the tear stains stopped. Kindly never use straight hydrogen peroxide close to the eyes if any get in it can burn tinys eyes. Tiny is soooooooo super Cute!!!!!!!! Dee.

Premium Member
I would have to say that I bet most of us have gone thru this.
I know for me, it felt like it wold never get better. I can assure you, if your feeding good food, giving spring water, probiotics can鈥檛 hurt, clean eyes with saline eye wash several times a day and keep dry, they will clear up once teething is done.
Imo, this is one of those things that鈥檚 completely out of our control, but it will pass and it will get better.
BTW...your baby is adorable 馃挄

Registered
grain free EVERYTHING and Eye Envy. Miracle worker. like someone else said, allergies. sometimes stress. cut as much as you can and keep it as dry as you can ALL the time. seriously though, grain free free, allergies and Eye Envy work the best. I'm ordering my third bottle of the stuff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts