Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few threads on tear staining. Although from the pictures I see here, most of you don't seem to have the same problems that I do. I see so many beautiful snowy white faces here.

Angel does not have tear ducts. When she was about a year old I had my vet try to flush her tear ducts in case they were clogged. She definitely does not have any, so this will always be an issue with her.

Her eyes run constantly. I do keep the hair trimmed. The less hair to stain the better.

J

·
0 Posts
I am hoping that Lacey doesn't have a problem with tearstaining. I have had her for over 6 weeks now (she is a little over 5 months old) and up until a few days ago she had no tearstaining, but that last couple of days she is tearing. I am hoping that this is from teething. I am washing her little face and trying to keep it dry. Has anyone had tearstaining while their dog was teething and then stop?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jami -

I would think that most likely it is from teething, especially if it just started. Make sure that stray hairs are not rubbing in her eye.

I did a lot of reading when Angel was a puppy and most of the information said it should clear up some time after a year old. Angel's just got worse and worse.

Please don't worry, I would think it would be pretty rare not to have tear ducts. If you still have concerns after she's a year old I would wait until she needs a dental and have them check while under anesthesia (they can also flush them if clogged.)

By the way, she's adorable!

Kristy

·
Registered
24 Posts
yes i have had my female checked, i wash her face with water every night seems to make her feel better and it looks better i keep her hair short around her eyes,i have a male no tearstain problem,the vet said it is common in maltese could be allergies or alot of other reasons as you have learned.thanks for the info if i learn anything more i will let you know sweetpeas mom

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Sweetpea's Mom, the tearstaining kind of comes and goes with Pico and my vet says probably allergies from time to time. I'm going to start with the baby cornstarch with aloe and apply it in the morning with a q-tip since I don't think night-time is much of a problem because he is sleeping. Sometimes it gets so bad he gets crusty red spots and then I know it's time for the eye drops from the vet.

I'm going to get more diligent now that my travel schedule has slowed considerably. I think it really helps to clean and keep the area dry because sometimes he has very little discoloration and then it kicks up again.

Angel will need more frequent attention to the eye area since she doesn't have tear ducts. You may need to clean the under and between eyes area several times daily and I think the cornstarch idea helps absorb or repel the moisture somehow.

Pico didn't always have the staining so I'm going with the allergies theory.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
I just don't get why vets either don't know or won't tell people that tear (and siliva) stains are caused by bacteria. In the 12 years of Frosty's life so far, he has had it 3 times. Eveytime he has had Amoxicilin tabs for a week and it is gone! Of course the hair then has to either grow out or be cut off to get white again. It can come from almost any small infection or irritation. Eye infections (lack of tearducts would cause the eyes to be so irritated they could be infected easily), teething, ear infections, tonsils, allergies that irritate, etc.....One of his started when he had his teeth cleaned at the vets which spreads bateria.

Obviously it helps to keep the hair out of the eyes and keep the little goobers out of the corners of the eye and frequent face washing. I use the little pads that come in a jar and are damp with a solution for cleaning under his eyes, and a mustasche or human eyebrow comb to keep the area clean.

All the wonder products for bleaching the red out or covering it up would not be necessary if the cause is cured. Not curing the problem sure makes a market for products.

I realize the danger of using too many anti-biotics and would not do it often. I haven't had to. The first vet Frosty had 12 years ago wanted him to have Terramyicin in his drinking water continually! Forget that! That was with his first staining, which was when he was teething. I am so glad I found out early how to take care of him so he always has a pretty white face. After I did, I had to find a new vet and then when the staining happened after the teeth cleaning I went to 3 different vets in the same office (it took 3 mo., none of them believed me it would work) before finally getting one that said, O.K. I'll give him the Amoxicilin. Within days the hair was starting to grow out white. If I wasn't convinced before that, I sure was then.
Dee

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Dee (Frosty's Mom)

You have hit on something that has been rolling around in my head, unformed, for some time. When Pico gets sugar, he starts staining. Sugar+bacteria=infection!

My vet suggested antibiotics periodically (every 3 months) to prevent gum disease after Pico got periodontitis last year. I didn't say anything at the time but I was horrified. Now, I'm going to discuss it further with him.

Thank you for the alert!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts