Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow is the day! I am nervous, excited, scared, etc. We have only taken Rex to the Petsmart groomer and he hasn't been since his shaving in July, I have just been grooming him myself at home. Well, I found this new place called "Doggy Stylin' Salon" It is a cute little place, everything inside pink, including the owners 2 giant PINK poodles! It doesn't look like the typical groomer set up.
The other owner owns 2 of the cutest Maltese that are very well groomed, thus I figured I would take Rex there and see how they do compared to Petsmart. He is just getting a mini-trim, nails, sanitary areas and she is going to work on his face. She has a product she swears works and is easy to use that she picked up at a dog show. She is going to write down some websites for me tomorrow on where to get the stuff. Anyway I have to drop him off between 8 and 10 tomorrow morning. It is $25 for the minigroom, which is a lot less than we have been paying. I can't find the previous post where someone asked whether it is customary to tip or not, is it? Anyway wish us luck!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Good luck!

Brink is going to the groomer tomorrow too. It is only his second time. The first time she just did his face. This time she is doing a full groom....

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Good luck- post pics when he is all done!

Wilson is going to the groomers tomorrow as well. He doesn't need a cut, he just needs a good bath, his face cleaned up ,and the hair trimmed in his ears , the hair trimmed around his pads, and the sanitary trim, and his nails clipped.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay that is 3 of us missing our babies right now

I feel like crying. When we got there, Rex tried holding on to me and he was shaking. There were 8 large crates in the wall and they put Rex in one, he looked at me so worried like and sad. At Petsmart I have never seen what happens, they just take him behind the door. At this new place everything is out in the open and I am sad now. I almost told the lady to give him back to me. Now I have to wait for them to call me. I guess I am a big baby because even typing this post has made me cry.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Aww Christina, It will be ok!! He will be so happy when he sees you- and once you find a groomer you like and start going to regularly, he will get used to it.

I say that all big and tough, because Wilson doesn't go for another 4 hrs.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Deanna@Nov 4 2005, 08:15 AM
  Aww Christina, It will be ok!! He will be so happy when he sees you- and once you find a groomer you like and start going to regularly, he will get used to it.

I say that all big and tough, because Wilson doesn't go for another 4 hrs.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=116504
[/QUOTE]

I hope this groomer will be the one. He used to leave Petsmart scared. I dont want him to be scared. I am walking around with the phone. I hope they call soon. Good luck at your appointment!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I am taking Brink at 3:30. I get to stay....
Sorry you are so worried. I am sure all will fine. Big hugs!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I think they're always scared when they miss their Momma.... Don't worry, their memory is short once you're back!!!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am still waiting...I don't want to call and start bugging them...but I am ready to start calling and bugging them. I will give them another 1/2 hour. They have had him for 4-1/2 hours now

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Gee that seems a long time for a mini trim, but then they may be busy too. I would just call the once and ask how things are going.
Scooby is never away more than 1½ to 2 hours, and we usually go do some shopping or something then pick him up on the way back and he is always finished on time.
We always tip our groomer because she is so kind to Scooby and does a wonderful job, and the important part is he adores her

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

They are busy every day they said. Nikki, the owner who has the Malteses', groomed Rex. She only does the Malteses'. Anyway this was Rex's best groom ever. They said he was perfect on the table and stuff and just stood there. Of course, my baby is perfect! Anyway I hate to brag, but isnt he gorgeous?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay I just can't shut up...at the groomers they told me about a weekly maintenance plan that would trim if needed at bathe him weekly for $10 a week or $17 everyother week. Should I do it or would that be too much for Rex?

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Firstly Rex looks gorgeous

We have Scooby groomed once a month and that is the works, trim, bath, ears sanitary stuff like anal glands and we are happy with that. We pay $28 for all that.
I think it is up to you if you don't think you can manage his coat in between then once every 2 weeks would be probably better than every week. You can wash his face and ears etc and brush in between.
He does look great, I keep looking at his picture where he had his shave and he looks so different now

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Nov 4 2005, 03:06 PM
Firstly Rex looks gorgeous

We have Scooby groomed once a month and that is the works, trim, bath, ears sanitary stuff like anal glands and we are happy with that. We pay $28 for all that.
I think it is up to you if you don't think you can manage his coat in between then once every 2 weeks would be probably better than every week. You can wash his face and ears etc and brush in between.
He does look great, I keep looking at his picture where he had his shave and he looks so different now

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=116646
[/QUOTE]

I can manage his coat for now, it isnt that long yet! He just looks so good when he comes home. I don't really need to spend anymore on him than I do know, so I think I will pass on the weekly and biweekly.
He has his bow crooked now
First thing he did after we got home was rolled in the grass, that is why his eyes are a little puffy in the pictures. When his hair was long the one time, well about the length it is now he got mattes and it got shaved. It doesnt seem to mat like it used to though, his hair is a different texture now.
I paid $25 and then tipped $5. There was only $2 in the tip jar, but I was paying with credit card, so didnt want to say, hey, add a dollar to that! She seemed very grateful for $5. I guess that was more than she expected. She gave me a sticky note with the 2 things she recommends for the eyes, one was the powder stuff you guys are always talking about that sprinkles on food and the other I can't remember, ....dumb me can't find the note now, I put it in my pocket when I got out of the car and now I can't find it! She said his stains were from tears not food, by where they were. Anyway if I ever find that paper I will let you all know.
He does look like a totally different dog, from his first pictures, to the shave, and then now!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
He looks great!!! I am so glad it went well!!

Wilson is back from the groomer. Sadly, they had to shave him
- he had a lot of teeny tiny super tight mats under his legs, under his chin, and under his tail- and there were too many and they were too tight for the groomer to get them out. So we decided it was best to shave him down and start growing it back out. She did a nice job, and he looks so cute-but like a totally different dog!

I can't wait until it grows back out- so he looks like a Maltese again!

The groomer was so nice and gave him lots of love- he was her last client of the day and she hung around and carried him all over the shop until I got there to pick him up. Then she helped me fit him for a harness and gave him a free Greenie chew to take home.

It must have worn him out because he has been zonked out all evening!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I love the way they groomed Rex. He looks absolutely fabulous. I'm getting more and more tempted to go for something like this. Troubel is you can bring a picture of Rex, but is that what I will get when I go back? They did a fantastic job. I love it.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Rex looks wonderful! So glad that you were thrilled with the groomer. My girls also go to a groomer who owns maltese and I think this makes a huge difference!

Unless you plan to groom him yourself always, then I think you are doing the right thing to let him get used to the groomer. If he is really nervous you might try the 2 week thing just to let him be accustomed to going. Maybe you could ask if he will have to stay as long if he is coming more often. Seems like the regular customers would get special attention. We had a cocker that we groomed (because we couldn't afford groomers) and she hated grooming and we hated it too. When we got our bichon we made sure that she got used to being groomed and she likes going. The puppies seem to like it too. The groomers just love them and they do me a huge favor and let me make an appointment and then they get both of them out in 2 hours. I have lunch and wait for them to call me so I can pick them up the second they are ready. I pay $28 each and then tip the groomer $15 for the two girls. It is worth it to me for them to give me special treatment and get them in and out quick.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Well, here are some before and afters of Brink.
I think she did a pretty good job. His feet and belly/butt were my major concern as those were the parts he was not cooperative with when I clipped him. She said he was "wiggly" but acted fine...I guess that is a good report.

Anyway, there is not a HUGE difference b/c it was more his legs/feet that needed the trim. I wish she had clipped a little more of his beard/face to round it out more, but I think I may trim it up a little today. That was his first time to have a bath and the whole works away from home....and it only took her about 45 minutes. I dropped him off, took a short trip next door to Walmart and came back and she was done. 25$ for the whole thing. I thought it was a good deal.

Ok, so here are the best shots that i could get. He is a very uncooperative subject for pictures. Little turkey butt has to be bribed with treats...thus the "licking" after shot.

BERFORE!
[attachment=953:attachment]

AFTER!
[attachment=954:attachment]

[attachment=955:attachment]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Deanna@Nov 4 2005, 09:48 PM
I can't wait until it grows back out- so he looks like a Maltese again!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=116778
[/QUOTE]

Wilson looks cute! It took me awhile to get used to Rex when he got shaved. It will be quicker than you can imagine for it to grow back. Rex was shaved in July, you can see in the picture in my signature, 4 months later, he is back to where he started. Rex was zonked out all evening and then kept waking me up all night.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by tlunn@Nov 5 2005, 08:43 AM
Well, here are some before and afters of Brink.
I think she did a pretty good job. His feet and belly/butt were my major concern as those were the parts he was not cooperative with when I clipped him. She said he was "wiggly" but acted fine...I guess that is a good report.

Anyway, there is not a HUGE difference b/c it was more his legs/feet that needed the trim. I wish she had clipped a little more of his beard/face to round it out more, but I think I may trim it up a little today. That was his first time to have a bath and the whole works away from home....and it only took her about 45 minutes. I dropped him off, took a short trip next door to Walmart and came back and she was done. 25$ for the whole thing. I thought it was a good deal.

Ok, so here are the best shots that i could get. He is a very uncooperative subject for pictures. Little turkey butt has to be bribed with treats...thus the "licking" after shot.

BERFORE!
[attachment=953:attachment]

AFTER!
[attachment=954:attachment]

[attachment=955:attachment]
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=116885
[/QUOTE]

Hehehe! We had to bribe Rex with treats yesterday too to get him to cooperate for the pictures, he was wanting to roll around and act crazy! It was just Rex's legs, feet, face, and privates that needed cutting too. I groom him myself in between, but I am not comfortable grooming his face, I am too scared to hurt his eyes. Ever since he scratched his cornea when we got him I have been an extra protective mommy. Brink "turkey
butt" looks great!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts