Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to take Adele to the vet tomorrow morning for a dire anal expression but I was wondering for those Malt owners who need to constantly clean their fluff's anal glands... do you do it yourself or let the vet/groomer take care it?

She seems to need it regularly. I remember after her first one, she was still scooting a bit (not as much as before though). I've read on here that some ppl do it as often as twice a month for their dogs....

If so, how do you do it and how often?

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Both my Naddie and Quincy need to have them done about every 3 months... sometimes a bit sooner. I always have the vet do it.
Previously my Missy needed them on reg basis too and I tried to learn but her's were very difficult... vet said sometimes even a "challenge" to her so felt best to have it done at office. Missy had to go to vets a lot due to other health issues so when anals needed to be done they just did them at one of those visits for the most part.
I feel more comfortable having them do them and same time they can see that all is well there.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
When needed, I have the vet do it. So far so good with Mia and Leo. But my Flakey (RIP) had to go in every so often to have the vet do it.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I've never had to do it with my Nadia but Lily I have to about 3-4 times a month. Google a search and you will find a good video or have your vet show you. There are two ways to do it, by inserting on of the fingers into the anus (the best way) or external pressure. I did not have good success with the first method so I stick with the latter.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
I've never had to do it with my Nadia but Lily I have to about 3-4 times a month. Google a search and you will find a good video or have your vet show you. There are two ways to do it, by inserting on of the fingers into the anus (the best way) or external pressure. I did not have good success with the first method so I stick with the latter.
Eueeeew! I did Stars every bath day - sometmes there wasn't any matter, other times quite a bit. He never did scoot on the carpets, so I guess he was OK.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Both Dora and my cat have theirs done by the vet, Dora's seems to be just an occasional problem but the cat needs it regularly. The vet offered to show me how to do it but I haven't taken her up on the offer yet. :)

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
i do it when needed ,its not hard to do ..best done while bathing express by pressing the sides thats were the glands are -think of a clock and press at 5 0clock ,they should pop and deposit contents,rinse away with warm water .

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Bailey has to get his done every month or so. I have the vet do it but I'm thinking of asking her to show me how to do it so I don't have to keep taking him in.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
This is something I never wanted to learn how to do. But Abbey needs it done way too often. And my vet charges for a full office visit to do it! The last time they charged me $75!!!! :w00t::blink::smilie_tischkante: Can't be doing that every month!!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mika just turned 3, and she has never had it done. I don't see her scoot very often, she does it briefly about twice a month which according to the vet is pretty normal so I am happy about that ! I couldn't do it myself that is for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
What are the signs that it needs done? Just scooting on the ground?
And does it have something to do with their diet?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts