Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found that piece of paper from the groomers. She recommends Eve Envy and Angel Glow. She has used both for her Maltese and says they both really work. I know a lot of you have used Angel Glow, but has anyone heard of Eye Envy? Eye Envy is supposed to treat stains you already have and Angel Glow is supposed to prevent them I think.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've used both with Deni. The Eye Envy does work, but it's "labor intensive." When I wasn't working, it was fine, but now that I'm back at work I just don't have the time for upkeep. (I had to put her in a puppy cut rather than long since I couldn't do the once a week bathing and extended time brushing anymore.
) I'm now using the Angel's Glow which is working wonders. She's been on it for a little over two months now and no stains at all!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Eye envy didn't work for us. It made him have a yellowish tint or something. I didn't like it. I have been tempted to try the angel's glow. But for now I am seeing if some extra attention to washing eye boogers and collyrium works. Angel's Glow is on my list to try though.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Puddles was on the Angel Glow with great success. After 3 week I look him off for 3 weeks. The last week of being off it , his stains started to return. But he also was in need of his allergy shot. We went back on it this week and i'm treating the stains to clean them up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
After reading about all the great results from Angel Glow in an older topic I purchased some 2 days ago and got my girls started on it tonight. Kiwi wasn't very happy about the taste but she did finish her supper after picking at it for a while. Tassy ate it quickly and didn't seem to notice that it was in her food. I sure hope it works.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Couldn't stand it. I just ordered some Angel's Glow. Hopefully it works..

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Nov 6 2005, 09:42 PM
I am tempted to try Angels' Glow on the puppies and I saw a little disclaimer on the bottom of their page about Angels' Eyes.  Has anyone tried or heard of them - http://www.angelseyesonline.com ??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117388
[/QUOTE]

It has the same ingredient (tylosin as tartrate) as the Angel's Glow. Looks like basically the same stuff except the Angel's Glow has more "stuff" in it. They are both the same price. I guess maybe they are just through two different companies.
I looked into just gettin they Tylan 50 powder. You can get it online for like 8 bucks. I read on a show cat site that they often use that to help with cat tear stains as well. I figured I would splurge and try this Angel's Glow since some on here had already seen success with it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone actually know if there are any long term health side effects to the Angel Glow? I keep thinking about it more and more and I am kind of leary on having Rex ingest something like this. He has a lot of allergies too and now I am thinking maybe this is a can of worms I dont even want to open up. I know everyone says it works, but what is it doing to the rest of the body?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by RexsMom@Nov 6 2005, 10:29 PM
Does anyone actually know if there are any long term health side effects to the Angel Glow?  I keep thinking about it more and more and I am kind of leary on having Rex ingest something like this.  He has a lot of allergies too and now I am thinking maybe this is a can of worms I dont even want to open up.  I know everyone says it works, but what is it doing to the rest of the body?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117393
[/QUOTE]

Here are some parts from the FAQ page...

Q. What’s the difference in between Tetracycline and Tylosin?
A.  Tetracycline is a broad spectrum antibiotic used to treat various conditions
caused by susceptible bacteria. It is not for use in pregnant, nursing or growing
animals. It may damage developing teeth and cause permanent discoloration.
More common side effects may include: anemia, blood disorders, diarrhea,
difficult or painful swallowing, dizziness, extreme allergic reactions, genital or anal
sores or rash, hives, inflammation of large bowel, inflammation of the tongue,
inflammation of the upper digestive tract, increased sensitivity to light, loss of
appetite, nausea, rash, ringing in the ears, swelling due to fluid accumulation,
vision disturbance and or vomiting. Less common or rare side effects may
include: inflamed skin, inflammation of the penis, liver poisoning, muscle
weakness, peeling, skin eruptions, throat sores and inflammation. Food and drug
interactions can occur; it is especially important to check with your vet before
administrating tetracycline.

Tylosin is a macrolide antibiotic considered as narrow-spectrum because it is
active against only a few specific bacteria, therefore it will not develop imbalance
or resistance in the animal’s immune system. 
It is important to take the macrolide antibiotic exactly as directed to make sure
the infection goes away completely, even if symptoms resolve sooner. Failing to
take the macrolide for the entire period can cause the infection to return or can
cause the bacteria to become resistant to the macrolide the next time it is taken.
A macrolide antibiotic might cause falsely elevated values of AST and ALT just
when using colormetric assay. It is important to tell your vet you are using
Angels’ Glow. Macrolide antibiotics work best when a constant amount is
maintained in the blood.

Q: Are there any possible side effects related to Angels’ Glow? 
A: Angels’ Glow is very safe in dogs. There are no reports of toxicity with long
term use and Angels’ Glow is safe short term even if overdosed.

Q: Do you have any toxicological research on Angels’ Glow?
A: Yes.
Target Organ Effects: No effects identified in animal studies
Reproduction: No effects identified in animal studies.

[/B]
I didn't copy all of it...just the stuff about the differences in antibiotics and the side effects.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
As a side note, the Vet prescribed Sparkle with Tyolsin when she had a tummy ache. Although she never stained much, it totally cleared it up completely after a week.

Now I am having second thoughts ... what if the pups really need it and it doesn't work for them anymore.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Nov 6 2005, 10:52 PM
As a side note, the Vet prescribed Sparkle with Tyolsin when she had a tummy ache.  Although she never stained much, it totally cleared it up completely after a week.

Now I am having second thoughts ... what if the pups really need it and it doesn't work for them anymore.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117401
[/QUOTE]

My thinking is this...if I can get it under control and try to keep it up...maybe I would not have to use it as often as it says...but if they build up a resistance to it, you woul dknow b/c the product would stop working too, right?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Miko doesn't have any tearstaining and for a long time I was convinced that its because I switched to a different food half a year ago. Recently, I realized though that he has been on various antibiotics for one reason or another (ear infection, UTI, skin infections) in the last half a year. They were all different antibiotics and none of them were what's in that Angel stuff. We mostly used amoxicillin, keflex and now he is on another cephalosporin for a conjuctivitis. But other than the greenish eye **** from his eye infection, he really has no tear stains. I don't know but if he did, I think I would use this Angel's glow (or whatever that stuff is) because I don't think that its that easy to develop resistance and the likelihood of needing to use that particular antibiotic for an ailment is pretty low.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I tried Eye Envy and all it did was lighten the stain. Kind of a pink tinge. It also made her face smell like a dirty sponge. I won't use that again!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Here is the link to their breeder's special: http://www.angelsglow.com/email_breeders

Buy 2 bottles of ANGELS' GLOW for the special introductory price
of US$31.50.

Has anyone tried the Angels Eyes? It only has liver and doesn't have all the dyes. Does that make it better? I know my kids love liver flavour food.

I have used Eye Envy but I find that it doesn't work for all of my furkids. I use it every day but it doesn't seem enough
I never see a difference.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rex doesnt have many stains. Just a few light tan stains now since he went to the groomer. Since Sparkle got a tummy ache, I think I will just stay away from it for now. Anything that isnt Rex's normal food seems to give him diarrea or bad gas. He has a few treats that are okay for him in moderation, like once or twice a day and he is very picky with his food, so if this stuff makes it seem any different he wont eat it. I guess I will keep debating on this for awhile. Thank you all for your information and experiences.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I don't think Sparkle's tummy ache was from the Angel's Glow...I think the vet prescribed the same antibiotic that is in Angel's Glow for her tummy ache. I called my vet this morning regarding Angel's Glow ingredients.....her response was that there is nothing in the product that can cause harm to a healthy dog. She did caution about over dosing, and that Tylan (I guess the generic form of the antibiotic?) can throw off some blood test results so always mention it to the vet. Over all, her conclusion was that it was most likely ok to use long term (as the website instructs). She also said that the staining is caused by yeast. Finally, she said not to waste money on topical treatments because they don't work or work no better than daily face cleaning. I might have to try this because, while Valletta's tear stains aren't bad, I do have to trim right around her eye to keep her looking really nice. I'd prefer not to have to trim as I am always afraid I'm going to poke her in the eye while I'm doing it. Plus the little hairs then grow back and start to poke even more.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by saltymalty@Nov 7 2005, 09:09 AM
I don't think Sparkle's tummy ache was from the Angel's Glow...I think the vet prescribed the same antibiotic that is in Angel's Glow for her tummy ache.  I called my vet this morning regarding Angel's Glow ingredients.....her response was that there is nothing in the product that can cause harm to a healthy dog.  She did caution about over dosing, and that Tylan (I guess the generic form of the antibiotic?) can throw off some blood test results so always mention it to the vet.  Over all, her conclusion was that it was most likely ok to use long term (as the website instructs).  She also said that the staining is caused by yeast.  Finally, she said not to waste money on topical treatments because they don't work or work no better than daily face cleaning.  I might have to try this because, while Valletta's tear stains aren't bad, I do have to trim right around her eye to keep her looking really nice.  I'd prefer not to have to trim as I am always afraid I'm going to poke her in the eye while I'm doing it.  Plus the little hairs then grow back and start to poke even more.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117476
[/QUOTE]

This is a powder right? How does this work on dry food or do you have to use can food? Does it taste?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by RexsMom+Nov 7 2005, 10:11 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-saltymalty
@Nov 7 2005, 09:09 AM
I don't think Sparkle's tummy ache was from the Angel's Glow...I think the vet prescribed the same antibiotic that is in Angel's Glow for her tummy ache.  I called my vet this morning regarding Angel's Glow ingredients.....her response was that there is nothing in the product that can cause harm to a healthy dog.  She did caution about over dosing, and that Tylan (I guess the generic form of the antibiotic?) can throw off some blood test results so always mention it to the vet.  Over all, her conclusion was that it was most likely ok to use long term (as the website instructs).  She also said that the staining is caused by yeast.  Finally, she said not to waste money on topical treatments because they don't work or work no better than daily face cleaning.  I might have to try this because, while Valletta's tear stains aren't bad, I do have to trim right around her eye to keep her looking really nice.  I'd prefer not to have to trim as I am always afraid I'm going to poke her in the eye while I'm doing it.  Plus the little hairs then grow back and start to poke even more.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117476
This is a powder right? How does this work on dry food or do you have to use can food? Does it taste?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117478
[/B][/QUOTE]
I haven't tried it yet, so I really don't know...but from their website it says you can sprinkle it on food so I assume it's a powder? I know with my dog, I give her heart worm pill in a ball of cream cheese and she thinks it is a treat. I wonder if you could mix it into a bit of cream cheese? I think MsLoke mentioned she uses cottage cheese? Or am I dreaming?...I haven't had my diet coke this morning (my source of caffine).

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Ok, so I was dreaming...any way, how long did Cassie take it before you decided to stop? And her stains have stayed away, so obviously it worked. BTW, I saw her photo on their website...she looks beautiful.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts