Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet told me that Milo's eyes are bloodshot, and that I should be trimming the hair around his eyes. Well Besides this proving to be the most traumatic experience yet for the little guy, how do I tell which ones to cut? I can't really tell where the hair in his eyes are coming from, so its hard to know which ones to cut. His eyelashes are really long, and I think that might be the problem, but aren't your eye lashes supposed to keep things out of your eyes? This could be different for these little guys, but that's why I'm asking for help.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
We were also told to keep the eye hair trimmed around Caesars eyes. The way were were shown how to do it was to push the eye hair foward that is under his eye and trim it with baby scissors. Not sure if this really explains it well to your or not. I would maybe take ur baby into the vet so they can show you how to do it, our breeder showed us. We don't cut the hair on the upper part of the eye, just the lower part.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Mar 24 2005, 08:51 AM
We were also told to keep the eye hair trimmed around Caesars eyes.  The way were were shown how to do it was to push the eye hair foward that is under his eye and trim it with baby scissors.  Not sure if this really explains it well to your or not.  I would maybe take ur baby into the vet so they can show you how to do it, our breeder showed us.  We don't cut the hair on the upper part of the eye, just the lower part.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=45942
[/QUOTE]

By push it forward, do you mean make it stand up so that you can clip it? I don't get the push it forward part..
but maybe it is just me.

Anyway, that is what I do, I fluff up the hair under his eye with a toothbrush and brush it backwards of the way it grows so that it stands up some...then I take the tiny clipper that I have and clip that...it is probably not the best way to do it...the groomers do it with real clippers and call it "scooping" out under the eyes, but I can't ever get that to work, and I end up making him bald under his eyes, which really looks funny.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Mar 24 2005, 08:51 AM
We were also told to keep the eye hair trimmed around Caesars eyes.  The way were were shown how to do it was to push the eye hair foward that is under his eye and trim it with baby scissors.  Not sure if this really explains it well to your or not.  I would maybe take ur baby into the vet so they can show you how to do it, our breeder showed us.  We don't cut the hair on the upper part of the eye, just the lower part.
[/QUOTE]

By push it forward, do you mean make it stand up so that you can clip it? I don't get the push it forward part..
but maybe it is just me.

Anyway, that is what I do, I fluff up the hair under his eye with a toothbrush and brush it backwards of the way it grows so that it stands up some...then I take the tiny clipper that I have and clip that...it is probably not the best way to do it...the groomers do it with real clippers and call it "scooping" out under the eyes, but I can't ever get that to work, and I end up making him bald under his eyes, which really looks funny.

I do keep the area around his nose/brow shorter and trim his eyelashes a little. They get SO long.
I am jealous! HA!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Yes, eyelashes are suppose to keep stuff out, BUT their eyelashes get like 20 times longer than ours! LOL I wish mine were as pretty as theirs! So cut them short. If you go to the groomers, they automatically trim the lashes too.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Mar 24 2005, 08:32 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Caesar's Mommie
@Mar 24 2005, 08:51 AM

but maybe it is just me.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=45954
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes
I mean to make it stand up so you can cut it.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
OK I don't get it. I didn't think that Fantasia had eye lashes. I don't cut anything around her eyes. When they get red or it looks like there is hair in there I just flush her eye out with saline solution and wipe in the corners with a cotton ball. It makes everything better. I think this also helps with tear staining because I told a friend about it that has two Yorkies and she couldn't thank me enough because it reduced their tear staining and she said their eyes haven't ever looked better. Anyway all the hair around Fantasia's eyes is so long that this doesn't happen often anyway.
So fill me in here, where are these eye lashes and how come Fantasia doesn't seem to have them?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
FannyMay--What kind of Saline solution do you use?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions... I'll try to trim them a bit after he's just woken up from a nap. Hopefully he'll be a little calmer then. Anytime I try to do anything, he screams as if I'm hurting him, and tries to bite me. I guess this is what the breeder told me about him trying to control me. It's just so hard to be firm with them when they're so tiny.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Mar 24 2005, 11:56 AM
FannyMay--What kind of Saline solution do you use?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=45981
[/QUOTE]

For some reason this didn't come up in my new posts. I use something one of my old vets sold me and it has lasted a really long time. It's called Vedco and this is what it says...
"Eye Irrigation Solution (Sterile)"
"Cleanses, refreshes, and soothes irritated eyes"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts