Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took Rocco to Petco today to buy him a harness. While there, the associate suggested we use eye make up remover for his tear stains. She said that it would clear them right up. Well, I haven't read anything like that here. What say you experts?
I am washing his face everyday with Spa Lavish, giving him natural food with no dye, and he is still staining. There must be some inside secret that I don't know. When we picked him up at the airport he had zero staining. He is as happy as can be, eats like a champ and already rules the house. What am I doing wrong? He is only 12 weeks old. How do breeders clear up the staining when prospective buyers come by or for pictures? I want my little guy to get the best care I can give him. I hate to think people assume I'm remiss in his care because of the staining.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
No I would not use human eye make up remover on a dog's hair.
Leave him be. Just keep the face clean and dry. Most puppies will stain while they are teething and the best solution is just to let it pass.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Ask your breeder what water they were given. Sometimes a change in the water can cause staining.

But, tear staining is the main culprit. Leila's face was ice white for the first month and a half I had her, but once her adult teeth started popping through she has had minor staining. I'm staying on top of it with Spa Lavish, corn starch to keep the face dry, and lots of patience..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts