Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most of you who use an eye wash use the Collyrium For Fresh Eyes Eye Wash, but I was wondering what the difference was between that and the Bausch & Lomb Advanced Eye Relief Eye Wash...

Here are the links to both:
Bausch & Lomb: Collyrium for Fresh Eyes, Eye Wash

Bausch + Lomb: Bausch & Lomb Advanced Eye Relief Eye Wash Eye Irrigating Solution

I have the Advanced Eye Relief and it looked like they were essentially the same thing, but thought I would ask if they are indeed totally different. I see that the ingredients are mostly the same, but ever-so-slightly different...didn't know if it made a difference in battling the tear stains.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Lisa, I wondered the same thing when I was at the store. But, I bought the Fresh Eyes because that's what Mary told me to buy. :yes:

Maybe somebody else here will know.

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your answers. :) I am not seeing how they can be so different that one would make a difference and not the other. I am going to try and be more faithful about using the drops in their eyes 1-2 times per day, and also using it to wipe the undereye area clean. With both of them tear staining now, I am really discouraged right now. :(

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Thank you both for your answers. :) I am not seeing how they can be so different that one would make a difference and not the other. I am going to try and be more faithful about using the drops in their eyes 1-2 times per day, and also using it to wipe the undereye area clean. With both of them tear staining now, I am really discouraged right now. :(
Hang in there, Lisa. I know they will be stain free (or close enough) in no time! :) BTW, I'd love to see some pictures... :innocent:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Advance Eye Relief says something like "for removal of irritants" while Fresh Eyes says something like "for removal of objects." But it looks to me like the only differences are the preservatives and that the Advanced Eye Relief may have something else added to change the pH. I'm going to write to B&L and ask and will let you know if they reply.

MaryH

·
Banned
242 Posts
My breeder told me in the event that my puppy heas eye stainining that i should use a product called angel eyes which is added to food or water. Now I am really baffled.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My breeder told me in the event that my puppy heas eye stainining that i should use a product called angel eyes which is added to food or water. Now I am really baffled.
Angel's Eyes contains Tylosin (common name Tylan) which is an antibiotic. It is okay to try a 14-day cycle to see if it works, but it isn't good to give daily as it can lead to antibiotic resistance. If you're considering Angel's Eyes, you are better off just buying Tylan powder because Angel's Eyes dillutes the Tylosin by adding beef liver to make it taste better. It's just not a safe product in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Advance Eye Relief says something like "for removal of irritants" while Fresh Eyes says something like "for removal of objects." But it looks to me like the only differences are the preservatives and that the Advanced Eye Relief may have something else added to change the pH. I'm going to write to B&L and ask and will let you know if they reply.

MaryH
Thank you, Mary for checking on this for us! I look forward to hearing if there is any considerable difference between them (as in one may not be as safe for our babies). Thank you! :aktion033:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Old post I kno but it's what came up while searching. :thumbsup:

I went to Target today and they only had the Advanced Eye Relief, not the Fresh Eyes one. How did the search go in looking up the Advanced one? Does it seem to be the same for their tear stains?

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
My vet recommended the B & L to me years ago. All the eyewash does is to remove hair and other irritants that get in the eye which may cause tearing, and in turn, more tearing can/may contribute to staining. I think it is safe to use. The size and shape of the eyes, ingrown lashes, blocked tear ducts, allergies, infections, and heredity can all be causes of staining. The eyewash is not meant to get rid of stains. It is okay to use as a cleaner around the eyes. One of my girls has never had staining and one had minor staining as a puppy due to teething, but it has cleared. If one of them suddenly developed heavy tearing and staining, (especially if there was rubbing of the eye, or heavy blinking,)I would take them to my vet to have it evaluated. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts