Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled back Chanel's eyelid and looked towards the top/rear of her eyeball there is brown color, like staining or something. She has the "haloing" of the eyes, like black eyeliner around her eyes, so I am wondering if it is natural/genetic or a problem.

I emailed my breeder with this same question and she said:
"If it's something you don't understand, better have it checked. Better to be safe then sorry." I mean, she's been breeding for who the heck knows how long.

Any suggestions?

~Elegant

·
Registered
31 Posts
In my opinion, I think the black eyeliner look around the eye is just genetics. But I'm not to sure about the staining in the eyeball. It could have been caused from excessive tearing from the eye if there is a lot of tear stains under the eye. But excessive tearing usually just causes tear stains
hmmm this is tricky. I don't think it is anything serious, but I would just contact your vet about it just to make sure.
Here is a website on eye care with maltese dogs and other small dogs:

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/eyes.htm

The site also tells you how to clean your dogs eyeball, so you might wanna check that out.

Good Luck with Chanel

·
Registered
31 Posts
In my opinion, I think the black eyeliner look around the eye is just genetics. But I'm not to sure about the staining in the eyeball. It could have been caused from excessive tearing from the eye if there is a lot of tear stains under the eye. But excessive tearing usually just causes tear stains
hmmm this is tricky. I don't think it is anything serious, but I would just contact your vet about it just to make sure.
Here is a website on eye care with maltese dogs and other small dogs:

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/eyes.htm

The site also tells you how to clean your dogs eyeball, so you might wanna check that out.

Good Luck with Chanel

Sorry it posted two times

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@Dec 26 2004, 11:27 AM
I pulled back Chanel's eyelid and looked towards the top/rear of her eyeball there is brown color, like staining or something.  She has the "haloing" of the eyes, like black eyeliner around her eyes, so I am wondering if it is natural/genetic or a problem.

I emailed my breeder with this same question and she said:
"If it's something you don't understand, better have it checked. Better to be safe then sorry."  I mean, she's been breeding for who the heck knows how long.

Any suggestions?

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=25402
[/QUOTE]

My Missy has this too... at least I assume it might be the same thing. I had never noticed it until I had to start giving her eye drops for dry eye. ( starting many many months ago). Her vet never mentioned it and she has checked her eyes many times over the years...and she has raised the eyelid and checked there so I haven't been concerned about it. With Missy it is under the upper eyelid.
However always good to reassurence from the vet that all is OK.
Terry and Missy

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I am a firm believer that Kodie does not have tear staining because his mother did not. Kodie will get tears but never a stain. His mother has a perfect face too. I think genetics has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
If the actual eyeballs are brownish, I'd definately have my vet check Chanel. Not to scare you, but discolored eyeballs can be a sign of liver disease. Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The eyeball itself isn't brown, the tissue that connects the upper eyelid and the eyeball is brownish looking. If the eyeball itself was brown, I would definitley have a problem on my hands.

Thanks for the help.

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
it can be normal pigment, or can be epscleritis (inflamation of the eye tissue) if u think it is something that has just occurred..get it checked out...otherwise it is prob. normal.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Dec 28 2004, 04:26 PM
it can be normal pigment, or can be epscleritis (inflamation of the eye tissue)  if u think it is something that has just occurred..get it checked out...otherwise it is prob. normal.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=25878
[/QUOTE]
THANK YOU...pigment was the word I was looking for when I originally posted. It isn't anything new...she's always had it and hasn't gotten worse...just thought maybe someone could reassure me by telling me that their Malt had it too!

Thanks you guys!

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
ive seen it on other dogs...in fact drcathy asked me about it the other day b/c gruffi has it...i tried to find a pic online of it to make sure it was the same ..but i couldnt find n e.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts