Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, that's the actual name! What a mouthful. Anyway, Noriko went in for her annual examination. She's been having horrible tear staining still. The benedryl helps some. The doctor told me to try it for 2 wks and call him. He said to put it in both eyes and one drop in between her eyes.

Anyone know more about this Neomycin and Polymyxin B sulfates and Dexamenthasone Opthalmic Suspension drop made by Falcon Pharmaceuticals?

The doctor said that she will not develop a resitant against the antibodies and that it is save and doesnt hurt to try for at least 2 wks.

I bought Efferfescent today too for the tear staining (thanks Chelsey for the tip
). Should I hold off on using it while I'm using the eyedrops? Target had one box left and it was on sale so I just bought it.

Just wanting to know more about the drops and if anyone has used it. :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would wait if I were you.... but I'm not keen on putting all of that stuff in my girls eyes (chemicals are bad, natural is good). I too am picking up efferdesent on the way home from work.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
AKA Dexacidin eye drops. They have a mild steroid in them. They are commonly used for chronic allergic conjunctivitis. Mikey gets this mildly and we do the drops 3x/week when he gets it. You do it twice daily, but for allergies, you can usually wean them to as needed after the initial inflammation has resolved. I'm quite comfortable using these as needed. If you ever have a concern about a different eye problem, do have it checked before using the drops as a steroid is not good if the dog has an ulcer. Sometimes an eye drop without steroids (similar to what people would be prescribed) for "allergy eyes" can be used. Your vet can call an ophtho for a suggestion if needed. Oral antihistamines may work just as well though.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The doctor said to use it for 2 wks and call him and we'll discuss it afterwards.

What are signs that your babies have conjunctivitis?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Good luck!
Hope it helps and that you are successful getting them "in"!
Brink turned into an octopus when I tried to put eye-drops in his eyes!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@May 27 2005, 09:39 PM
The doctor said to use it for 2 wks and call him and we'll discuss it afterwards. 

What are signs that your babies have conjunctivitis?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=66315
[/QUOTE]

If you pull back the eyelids a bit, the fleshy part should be a nice pink. If it is red and inflamed, they may have conjunctivitis. Goopy eyes are also a sign. Allergic conjunctivitis does well with a steroid drop. If your dog has excessive tearing and staining secondary to inhalent allergies, topical eye treatments can help quite a bit. You may not always need a steroid, just a flushing solution can be soothing and helpful, too.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Please wait to use this efferdesent a lease a few weeks after your done with the drops.
chelsey was also given some kind of drops but they only seemed to lubercate her eyes.
Tear stains were the same. I'm also going to do what JMM suggested. Thanks for the tips as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts