Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still working out what is the best cut on Poppy. I feel we're getting there with his body, tummy and legs, but I am still unsure about his face and head.

I have not cut his ears at all, and we have left all of the hair around his eyes and face, and have quit trying to trim out the stains. BUT ... when I look back at one of his pics where we had trimmed his face down some (see below), I am thinking I much prefer that look ... and it is easier to keep clean.

So, can you guys show me your pup's face shots ... just to help me with ideas on what direction I'd like to go. And, feel free to chime in on the pros and cons of cutting his face hairs back.

NOTE: We are scheduled for a holiday photo shoot tomorrow, so we have an appt. with the groomer at 5:00 this afternoon, and I can't figure out whether to trim his face or leave it.

HUGz! Jules

Attachments

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a recent shot of him, to give you an idea of the length of his ears and beard now.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i love how he is in the first shot ... he looks morelike a puppy , but hes cute any which way..

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I love the cut in your first shot. Rocky has a cute cut too (a little longer on the face) Maybe his mom will post. I'm always changing Aolani's look. Below is his latest cut

Here it is without the flash - we went shorter on teh face and ears and kept the body a little longer

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow! He looks so cute with the puppy cut. How about something like this? I've had this photo saved on my laptop for awhile now. It's so cute!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
first picture

Poppy looks awsome in both pictures, I prefer the fist one though. My advise, take him the groomers. I just finished BUTCHERING poor Cappi's face I feel so bad :blush: thank God he still has his bangs otherwise OUUCH!

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Jules, here's what's been a good length for Tyler's face and yes we do keep his hair trimmed around his eyes. The hairs were getting in his eyes when they were longer and the staining was worse and more noticeable. I also think when his face hair gets longer he doesn't look as puppyish and happy. JMO on my guy. Good luck. Can't wait to see pix of Poppy with his cut.

I just quickly took this now. Tyler had his haircut last night

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Question .... what if I do sort of a modified version of the first pic ... but keep his ears long ... do you think that would look silly?

Thanks bunches! Jules

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
I never cut Star's facial hair, and only trimmed the ends on the crown, ears. When we were "on the road", I found it easier to have him in a full coat. It's all what you prefer. As you can see here his ears and beard were even when he was taken out of the long coat. I really don't care for the perpetual puppy look, but again it's preference.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,981 Posts
I had Kitzel's hair cut in preparation for the up-coming possible surgery---so his is longer than the puppycut in your first shot---but I REALLY like that first shot and may go in that direction before Christmas. HE IS SO, SO CUTE! I think that they get the beard so dirty otherwise that they look unkempt! I say whatever is easiest for you and where he feels comfortable. Kitzel used to like grooming but is into adolescence now so "no" is his favorite word! He has a very silky coat, very straight so don't want the body hair too short, but he does lift his leg so shorter hair on the legs is nice. The good thing is that his hair grows very fast so if I get tired of this cut then it grows quickly.
Please post photos soon---I have an appt. in early Dec. so am open to a "new look."

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I think he would look cute with his face short and his ears longer. That's how Terra looks now.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,981 Posts
I think he would look cute with his face short and his ears longer. That's how Terra looks now.

This is a BEAUTIFUL cut but it looks (IMHO) feminine to me. I would love to have a little girl w/this cut! :aktion033::aktion033:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Oh, wow! She is beautiful!!

But, now I'm thinking that might make him look too much like a girl ... with the ears almost looking like pig tails??

Thank you so much for posting the pic ... I had no idea what a short face and long ears would look like.

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
245 Posts
I love Poppy in the first picture! It seems like it would be much easier to keep clean too. He looks like such a little man!!!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love Poppy in the first picture! It seems like it would be much easier to keep clean too. He looks like such a little man!!!
Thanks Becky!! My problem is that I don't want to have him in just a plain puppy cut ... I wanted him to be a little unique. But in that search, he keeps looking scrappier and scrappier. :blink: ROFL

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Look at the picture of Archie in Pat's siggy (The A Team). He looks masculine and has long ears and short face.
Let me go find her.

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, found Archie, and I think this might really be what I'm going for!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts