Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my baby for a few months now. I sure could use some advice on how to trim his face. I look at the pictures of your babies and they all have nicely trimmed faces. I know that some of you do it yourself. Would it be too difficult to explain via a post on how you do it. I think I need pictures of where to trim or recommend a place on line I can learn how to do this. Or maybe the name of a book I can look at. I'm so nervous I'll mess it up but I'm afraid if I take him to a groomer they would try to shave it. I would love to learn how to do it myself.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I use scissors, thinning shears, and clippers ...but I don't know how to explain it.

I will let JMM do that...I may make myself look like an idiot!

There is a thread about grooming by JMM somewhere...I will edit and add if I find it...
You can do it!
It does take some trial and error though, so be prepared!

Here is the grooming thread...maybe it will help!
JMM Grooming thread!!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I scissor the mustache and beard to round it off an blend with the head. For the corners of the eye I either use small scissors and just trim off the hairs, or a 1 inch #30 blade and shave a small portion. It depends on the dog and your preference. I keep my dog without tear ducts clipped just in the corner and then just trim the rest of the mustache/beard.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Ok JMM, you tell us how to do it and have wonderful pics on the subject.

My question is ......HOW THE HECK DO I KEEP HIM STILL. I know you have some ideal .... help me out on this one, please. So scared I'm gonna poke his eye out.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Before I start any grooming like that, I train my dogs how to behave on the grooming table with short sessions and treats. For the face, they need to learn to leave their head where I put it. We practice holding the head in my hand for longer and longer periods of time and laying their chin on a top knot pillow or rolled up hand towel. I do the same for any other grooming position.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I will start working on that tomorrow, on the bathroom counter. Maybe since it's smaller than the kitchen bar it will work. He will hold still for eye/face cleaning, but when he sees the scissors or clippers he jerks. I guess he knows I don't know what i'm doing.

I'm making to many trip to the groomer just because his face hair gets to long.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You should also desensitize him to those objects. Start by setting them near him and giving him a treat. Then touch his back and various parts of his body with them (you would slowly over days move them closer to him with each session until you were finally touching him). Work until you can touch his head with them and he is relaxed. If at any time he reacts to them, you moved to fast and you need to take it a step back and move in smaller steps. Then repeat with the clippers on and opening/closing the scissors. It should take a number of weeks depending on how fast he is comfortable going.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts