Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be trying the Fat Burning Soup Diet with a friend. She has done it in the past and lost like 18lbs in 7 days. You do it for 7 days, then stop for a week, and then do it another 7 days. Each time you do it you can loose 10-18lbs.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
At the end of the 7 days you'll likely gain back the water weight you lost. The proven way to lose weight for a long term basis is to change your eating habits for life and to exercise regularly. This is a subject near and dear to me as I've been dieting most all my adult life and I visit with a Ph.D. nutritionist once a month for ideas, recipes, encouragement, etc. It is a constant battle to keep my weight at a healthy level but I know from experience that fad diets are not a long-term solution.

I can't recommend Diet Power enough. Please take a look at the site. It helps you track what you eat. It is truly a wonderful aid for dieters. There are many ways to use it but one way is to set a weight goal and indicate when you want to be at that goal weight. It will tell you how many calories a day you can eat to get to that goal. Every day you key in your weight and what you have eaten for the day and what exercising you have done. Over time it will calculate your metabolism and adjust the number of calories. It will show you a graph of your progress. It is truly awesome and it can be used with any diet. Diet Power

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I did a soup diet I found in a magazine.. it was kind of an asian style soup with lots of celery, chicken, ginger and rice vinegar. I'm not sure if that's the same one you are wanting to do or not but I'm sure it follows the same idea. I did end up losing about 10 lbs in one week and of those 10 lbs I kept off about 6 lbs so it wasn't a total failure. I wouldn't recommend doing it more than once though because it's not balanced nutritionally and it will leave you tired. It was fine for a quick fix for me. I should also mention that I was doing some mild exercising at the time so I think that's why I was able to actually keep some of the weight off instead of gaining it all back.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The one we are going to do is one that they use for overweight patients that need to lose some weight before heart surgery. It is not a diet you would stay on for a long time.

Here is the info I have on it.
Fat Burning Soup
- 6 large green onions
- 1 or 2 cans (28oz) tomatoes
- 1 large cabbage
- 3 cans of water
- 2 green peppers
- 1 bunch of celery
- 2 packages of Lipton Soup
Season with salt, pepper, curry, parsley, if desired or bouillon or hot sauce

Cut vegetables in small to medium pieces and cover with water.  Bring to boil; add soup mix and stir in.  Boil fast for 10 minutes, reduce heat and cook until vegetables are tender.  Some combinations which have worked well:
- Italian style tomatoes, Italian spices, and onion soup
- Mexican style tomatoes, Fiesta soup, and if desired salsa

The soup can be eaten anytime you are hungry.  THE MORE YOU EAT THE MORE YOU WILL LOSE. This soup will not add calories. If eaten alone for indefinite periods, you would suffer malnutrition.

Day One: All fruits except bananas.  Cantaloupe and watermelon are lower in calories than most fruits.  EAT ONLY SOUP AND FRUIT. For drinks, unsweetened tea, cranberry juice or water

Day Two: ALL VEGETABLES. Eat until stuffed with all the fresh raw or canned vegetables.  Try to eat green leafy vegetables but stay away from dry beans, peas  and corn.  At dinner time treat yourself with a big baked potato and butter.  Eat soup but NO FRUITS.

Day Three: Fruit and vegetables.  Eat all the soup, fruits and vegetables you want.  Do NOT have a baked potato.  IF you have eaten for three days as above, and not cheated, you will find you have lost 5 to 7 pounds (never true for us, 3lbs max).

Day Four: Bananas and skim milk.  Eat as many as 3 bananas and drink as much milk as you can along with soup.  Bananas are high in calories and carbohydrates as is the milk, but on this particular day your body will need the potassium, carbohydrates, proteins, and calcium to lessen your craving for sweets.

Day Five: Beef and tomatoes.  You may have 10-20 oz. of beef and a can of tomatoes or as many as 6 fresh tomatoes on this day.  Try to drink at least 6-8 glasses of water to wash away the uric acid.  Eat the soup at least once this day.

Day Six: Beef and vegatables.  Eat to your hearts content of beef and vegetables on this day.  You can eben have two or three steaks if you like with green leafy vegetables, but no baked potato.  Eat soup at least once.

Day Seven: Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juice, and vegetables.  Again, stuff yourself.  Have the soup at least once.

The end of the 7th day, if you have not cheated, you will have lost 10-18lbs.  If you have lost more than 15 lbs, stay off the diet for days before resuming the diet again for day one.  This 7 day eating plan can be used as often as you like.  If correctly followed, it will clean your system of impurities and give you a feeling of well being as never before.  The diet not only allows weight loss but also an abundance of energy.

The diet burns more calories than you take in and flushes your system of impurities and gives you a feeling of well being.  DO NOT DRINK ANY ALCOHOL during the diet because of the removal of fat buildup in your system.  Go off the diet at least 24hrs before taking any alcohol.

Because everyone's digestive system is different,, this diet will affect everyone differently, after day three, you will have more energy than when you began if you do not cheat.  After being on the diet for severy days, you will find your bowel movements have changed.  Eat a cup of bran or fiber.  Although you can have black coffee with this diet, you may find that you don't need the caffeine after the 3rd day.

NO-NO's: Bread, alcohol, carbonated drinks including diet drinks.  Stick with water, unsweetened tea, black coffee, unsweetened fruit juices, cranberry juice, and skimmed milk (the last three on the appropriate days).

You can eat broiled chicken instead of meat (absolutely no skin on the chicken). If you prefer, you can substitute broiled fish for the beef on only one of the beef days.  You will need high protein in the beef on the other day.

Any prescribed medication will not hurt on this diet.  Continue this plan as long as you wish and feel the difference both mentally and physically.

From Sacred Heart Memorial Hospital.  Used for overweight heart patients to lose rapidly, usually before surgery.[/B]

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Reminds me of the cabbage soup diet that was the fad about 10 years ago. The same thing happened - you could lose a bunch of water weight in the first week or two, but you gained it all back right away.

As you say, this diet is for people who have to lose weight quickly so they can have surgery. After heart surgery they have to make life style changes, including a food plan they can live with to keep the weight off.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Lexi, consider this... when you lose weight rapidly you lose both muscle and fat. When you gain weight you gain fat. So, if you do this as a temporary fix you'll end up worse than before because you will be replacing muscle with fat if you do not keep the weight off. Here's some good info from my Diet Power newsletter:

It's the Calories, Stupid! ™
A Piping Hot Classic
By Terry Dunkle, Diet Power Editor-in-Chief

Last summer, while sunning on the Maine coast, I overheard a lot of talk about diets. A girl on a neighboring blanket asked her boyfriend, "What's this whatchacallit 'beach' diet the Clintons are on?" Two women a little too old for their bikinis walked by, discussing the evils of white bread. A retiree with a potbelly as big as the nose of a B-17 told his Frisbee partner that he was thinking of "going on Atkins." A talk-radio caller waxed enthusiastic about the Blood Type diet.

After 30 years of covering science and health for newspapers, magazines, and websites, I'm a little tired of hearing this stuff. If you really want the best diet for yourself, you don't choose it on the basis of a tabloid headline, a TV commercial, or a guy with a microphone who says he's a doctor. You ask someone you can trust -- someone who knows the difference between a fact and a claim, and who isn't trying to take your money.

We have a name for such people. They're called scientists. They make a profession of distinguishing what people believe from what is actually true. They aren't perfect, but you can trust them more than, say, Suzanne Somers or Richard Simmons.

A Law of Physics

One thing that scientists generally agree on is that the human body is a machine. For all of its wonderful complexity, it's still basically a device that extracts energy from fuel in order to do work. The work is moving, thinking, reading, yelling at the kids, refinancing your house, and such. And the fuel is, of course, food.

The energy in your food is measured in calories. Your body burns some of them to heat your muscles and organs to their preferred operating temperature. It uses others to power thousands of chemical and mechanical processes that help you play the piano and prune your azaleas.

If any calories are left over, your body stores them as fat. Everyone knows this, but not many people know exactly how much fat. It's one pound for each 3500 calories. In other words, if you eat 3500 calories more than your body needs, you'll gain a pound; and if you eat 3500 calories less than you need, you'll lose a pound.

Now here's what I came to tell you today: The 3500-calorie equation is always true, no matter what diet you're on. It doesn't matter whether you're eating protein or carbohydrates or grapefruit or lobster -- the only way to lose a pound is to take in 3500 calories fewer than your body needs. This isn't someone's opinion -- it's a law of physics. If it ever stops being true, you won't have a weight problem because the law of gravity won't be true, either.

Only Two Kinds of Diet

If calories are what really counts in weight loss, then why are there so many different diets? Partly because diets with gimmicky names sell a lot of books and provide a great many jobs for celebrities. And partly because we all wish we could look like Denise Austin or John Basedow without giving up our second helpings of lasagna.

Don't get me wrong. Most of these diets work. But there's nothing magical about why they work. They're always designed to make you --
• Eat fewer calories, either by limiting your portions or by emphasizing foods that are low in calories but high in bulk. (Appetite-suppressing drugs or supplements also fall into this category.)
or
• Burn more calories, by eating foods or taking supplements or drugs that speed your metabolism so your body uses calories faster than you consume them. Many systems that claim to do this actually don't, however. Recent studies of Atkins dieters, for example, showed that their losses stemmed from lower calorie intake. Prescription drugs do speed up your burn rate, but they have side effects that rule them out for all but the morbidly obese.
-- or both.
No matter which diet or drug you're on, however, the laws of physics still apply. Eat 500 calories less than your body uses each day and you'll drop one pound per week.

Do Me a Favor

It's easy to count the calories you eat -- they're listed on every food's label. But how can you find out the number your body needs? It varies from person to person. It even fluctuates from day to day.

Two ways:
• Get a breath test. This measures the amount of oxygen harvested from each inhalation, which indicates how many calories your cells are burning. It requires you to breathe into a bag hooked to an electronic gas analyzer costing tens of thousands of dollars. Instead of buying the equipment, you can do the test at a laboratory for $100 or more -- but you wouldn't want to pay that every day.

• Use Diet Power. Diet Power weight-loss software is the only product we know of that measures your calorie needs without expensive equipment. It does so by comparing your weight change every day with the number of calories you've eaten lately. Because it adjusts your calorie budget to the daily fluctuations in your needs, it can guarantee reaching your goal on your target date. To use it, all you need is your own computer and five minutes a day to log your meals. Cost: $49.99.

I'm not arguing that you should use Diet Power instead of a diet. Although our software works beautifully by itself, it can make any diet more effective. Thousands of people have used it with Atkins, Weight Watchers, Slim-Fast, Nutri/System, Jenny Craig, and other diets to lose 20, 40, 60, 100 pounds or more and keep it off for years. (See our Success Gallery.) Diet Power works by providing a definitive answer to the universal question, "How many more calories can I eat today and still reach my goal on schedule?" Once you know this, you have total control over your weight.

Now, please do me a favor: When people try to lecture you on the fattening properties of carbohydrate, bleached flour, processed sugar, and such, just tell them, "It's the calories, stupid!" -- and send them this article.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess I forgot to mention. I'm planning on starting the South Beach diet again after I do this. I did pretty good with SBD last year when I was on it. Lost 30lbs total. I've been really bad in the last 3 months and have gained back about 15 of the 30lbs. Before that I had only gained back about 5-8lbs from March to August.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Sounds kinda like 0 point soup that I eat when on weight watchers. It has lots of vegetables that are zero points and tomato sauce and boullion I think. I can't eat it alone...it is not very filling on its own...but with a good salad, or some yogurt, lowfat cheese toast, etc....it can be the filler part of a very low point w.w. meal.
It would also be a good way to jump start a diet as long as you know ahead of time that the soup in itself is not a good nutritional choice for the long run. Getting a few pounds off in the beginning quickly can boost your morale and go a long way as far as encouragement.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
To me, loosing 10-18 lbs/week sounds like its too much. However, do any of you watch "The Biggest Looser" -- its a show on NBC. I love it!! And the people on there do loose that much, but they are exercising 3 hrs/day and dieting hopefully in a normal fashion. I find that show so inspiring.
I don't know if I could do the soup diet, I never tried. I do run for an hour every day but I still find it a struggle to stay at my ideal weight. I guess the metabolism just slows down as we age
. Good luck if you do decide to do the diet. But I don't think its the best idea.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
i am no one to talk because i am a big guy but if you look at

6 large green onions
- 1 or 2 cans (28oz) tomatoes
- 1 large cabbage
- 3 cans of water
- 2 green peppers[/B]
those ingredients = water, you gain and lose water, not healthy, again, i am a big fatty so dont listen to me :lol:

·
Registered
552 Posts
I hate diets! I went on one but can't remember the name of it but you cut out all carbs. I needed to lose about 30 pounds and I did it fast. The sad thing is that I ended up in the hospital because I bottomed out my sugar levels too fast. The doctor told me that I wasn't that much over weight and if I wanted to shed what little I had just to pay attention to what I eat and excersice regularly. He told me to cut down on carbs but not to take them totally out of my diet. I did this and it worked. My husband and I walk about 4 miles twice a week or more.

Be careful with diets they can be dangerous. Always seek help from your doctor if you want to lose weight.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I dont usually diet, but after quitting smoking 4 times and putting on 10lbs each time before I started to smoke again, due to weight, I decided I had to do something to get off those smokies! So, two years ago I quit again, but this time the only thing I did was cut the bread, not even completely, but in half, and I did not gain.

Since then I have done alot of reading, especially alot of health nut advice which has made some sense to me, and I feel better and I fit my clothes so much better, and my energy is better. Basically I eat alot of veggies, fruits, and meats are fine, good ones, and cut way back on pasta. Actually, I cut bread completely out last week, because of allergies I wanted to try it, and already I notice I have lost a little weight. Also I'm not itching as much, and no headaches that I always get this time of year.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
My Dad did this diet but I think he only did the soup part he has high blood pressure. It worked for him for a while... he kept the pounds he lost off my exercising. That was like 7 years ago. Last year at x - mass he gained a lot back... he just could not pass up the goodies. So he is back to exercising again and weight watchers. I have to say he eats way healthier then me and exercising too. It's just a battle for him because he loves tasty food and so do I. I started exercising again yesterday my husband bought the Billy banks tape... and it's really good... for someone that is not very active and has bad knees and feet. I actually made it nearly to the end... I'm going to try to do it every other day at lunch. I'm the last person that should be saying this but if you want to keep the weight off that you loose you also have to do some kind of exercise. If I had kept that up I’m sure I would not have gained so much. Anyway I hope it works for you.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
When I met with my nutritionist today I asked her about it. She was very skeptical that it could have been recommended by a hospital. She is a Ph.D registered dietitian who teaches in the family practice residency program at a teaching hospital. Anyway, she reminded me that to lose one pound you need to take in 3,500 less calories than your body needs. If my math is correct, to lose 18 pounds in 7 days you'd have to take in 9,000 calories less per day than needed ...pretty much an impossible scenario... it doesn't even make sense.

Also, she said anything lost besides water would be muscle since it is being lost so fast. She said lots more that but it is hard to explain but basically anytime you restrict what you eat to just a little bit per day and with little variety to choose from, you will lose something... mostly water and muscle.

She said it is much better to learn how to eat a healthy balanced diet consisting of lots of vegetables plus some protein and some carbs.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Whoa.... I just Googled this diet and found this: Sacred Heart Medical Center

Miracle Soup Disclaimer

Sacred Heart Medical Center
Food and Nutrition
Disclaimer

The Miracle Soup Diet
You may have heard about a weight loss diet attributed to Sacred Heart Medical Center called the 'Miracle Soup Diet', 'T.J.'s Miracle Soup Diet', or the 'Cabbage Soup Diet'. This diet did not originate at SHMC and it is not endorsed by the Dietitians or the staff of our Cardiac Rehabilitation Program.

One of our major concerns about this diet plan is it emphasizes the consumption of fruits and vegetables while excluding the consumption of meat or fish, cereal grains and milk products on most days. Any diet that focuses on only certain food groups will be low or deficient in essential nutrients and, therefore, lead to poor nutritional status long-term.

Our experience with any low calorie diets, like this one, is that they do not lead to permanent weight loss. Once individuals start eating in a more normal pattern, the weight is regained. A very important factor in obtaining a healthy weight is to evaluate your physical activity and other lifestyle concerns. This is most appropriately done by consulting with a Registered Dietitian.

We would appreciate your assistance in helping others, like yourself, who have been misled by this diet to let them know it is not a Sacred Heart Medical Center program and is not considered healthy or safe. Thank you for your help in combating this misinformation.

For accurate nutrition information on current issues, you may contact any of the following:

Consumer Nutrition Hotline, sponsored by the American Dietetic Association, at 1-800-366-1655 or their website at www.eatright.org
Registered Dietitians at Sacred Heart Medical Center at 1-509-474-3220 or contact your local hospital(s) to find a Registered Dietitian in your area.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well my friend and I decided to try it. I made it to 9PM on the first day! I got a bad headache and was getting lightheaded. I decided it wasn't worth it. I'm going to go back on the South Beach Diet tomorrow. I did really good when I was on that last year (lost 30lbs in 4.5 months).

·
Registered
545 Posts
Originally posted by okw@Nov 2 2005, 09:43 PM
To me, loosing 10-18 lbs/week sounds like its too much.  However, do any of you watch "The Biggest Looser" -- its a show on NBC.  I love it!!  And the people on there do loose that much, but they are exercising 3 hrs/day and dieting hopefully in a normal fashion.  I find that show so inspiring. 
  I don't know if I could do the soup diet, I never tried.  I do run for an hour every day but I still find it a struggle to stay at my ideal weight.  I guess the metabolism just slows down as we age
.  Good luck if you do decide to do the diet.  But I don't think its the best idea.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=116139
[/QUOTE]
I LOVE the Biggest Loser! Can't get enough, and I hate that it is ending soon. I want Suzy to win!

I tried the cabbage soup diet, I was always hungry and had low blood sugar.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
cynthia has been doing this really strict diet (well, i think any 'diet' is strict. lol) and already lost like 35 lbs. since june till like 2 weeks ago...she just cut her meals really small and would only eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner and wouldnt eat after 7:30pm. she walks like 2-3 miles every morning with the dogs.

and 2 weeks ago she decided to just cut out all carbs. breakfast-2 eggs, lunch-salad with boiled chicken, dinner-boiled chicken. and wouldnt eat after 6pm.

if she wants something sweet,, she'll have crystal light or sugar free jello. but she's only had jello 2 or 3 times.

good luck on your soup diet...if it doesnt work out---you could always try this.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I have found the best way to lose weight is to increase the daily activity and eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegies, a small amount of meat with one meal. Eat your main meal for lunch and a light meal for dinner. It's all about nutrition and balance.
If you make this your new lifestyle and never say diet you may find it much easier to stick with it. We have been eating 6 very small meals per day, I have to do this for hubby as he is diabetic, so I do the same and we have both lost a lot of wieght and feel so much better for it and not only that his diabetes is well under control too and that to me is a super plus.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts