Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. We did surgery on her. She turned completely blue (tongue, gums, ears) and white (body) three times, we thought we had lost her, each time. Finally we got her stable and started taking xrays of the area and pinpointed it with hemastat. We also saw her throat up by where her neck and jaw meet, looked swollen. Dr. Heather looked around her larnyx, having to watch her jugular and it was such intricate surgery. Nothing around her trachea looked unusual, it all looked pretty normal.

So, she's got 3 incisions.. one on each side of her neck and one down the middle. she is bandaged up and looks like she has whiplash from a car wreck. I'm afraid to say it outloud...but here goes. We gave her 1cc dex at noon. Giving it to her the other day, it lasted 3 hours (and that was with 5mg pred am/pm) she didn't get any pred today, just the dex at noon... and here it is 6hrs later... AND she IS BREATHING 90% better than she was!!! I'm afraid to say it, because I'm afraid it won't last... but right now, it looks like she's breathing fairly well. Every little noise I hear her make, my heart sinks.... because I've been this route with her so many times before, just to be wrong again.

Please continue with prayers... she still needs them as I am praying her issues don't come back and once again, I'm let down and devistated. I, very much, appreciate them. I will keep you posted later on and let you know how she is doing.

thanks everyone. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your prayers. I know, prayer works.

Karla

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Karla keep your faith, this is when you need it the most. We are praying for Feather, I believe she is in the best hands ever, God's.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Karla - how frightening that must have been. Thank God she made it through the surgery. I still don't think I understand what was found or what was done to help her breathing but I'm so thankful that she seems to be doing better. I'm sending lots of prayers to her and to you that indeed this will be the answer. Come on Feather!! You can do it.:wub::wub:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Karla - how frightening that must have been. Thank God she made it through the surgery. I still don't think I understand what was found or what was done to help her breathing but I'm so thankful that she seems to be doing better. I'm sending lots of prayers to her and to you that indeed this will be the answer. Come on Feather!! You can do it.:wub::wub:
Sorry, I didn't get all of the info in there, maybe this makes more sense now ;)

Dr. Heather looked at the large "gland" I had been saying, all along, was not normal. I said to her, my other dogs don't have them and neither did any of the dogs I'd been checking at the clinic. You have to remember, everything is subjective. Maybe it is different from dog to dog, but maybe it is normal for THAT dog.

So, she removed both, either salavary glands or lymph nodes on both sides. I asked her if she needed either... nope. I said, Ok, take them out. They were very abnormal looking and I can see how they would cut off the trachea. To think all of the "experts" missed it... that part, is what makes me not trust that it could be this simple and that the other shoe is going to drop.

But here it is, 10pm and while she is having a bit of trouble, i have to remember there is swelling in there and she's coughing from the trach tube. I just hope all of the issues don't return tomorrow.

I again, appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers.

k

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
God bless little Feather. Get well soon, sweetheart. Karla, you sound like an amazing woman. Please take care of yourself, too.
xoxoxoxoxooxox

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Sorry, I didn't get all of the info in there, maybe this makes more sense now ;)

Dr. Heather looked at the large "gland" I had been saying, all along, was not normal. I said to her, my other dogs don't have them and neither did any of the dogs I'd been checking at the clinic. You have to remember, everything is subjective. Maybe it is different from dog to dog, but maybe it is normal for THAT dog.

So, she removed both, either salavary glands or lymph nodes on both sides. I asked her if she needed either... nope. I said, Ok, take them out. They were very abnormal looking and I can see how they would cut off the trachea. To think all of the "experts" missed it... that part, is what makes me not trust that it could be this simple and that the other shoe is going to drop.

But here it is, 10pm and while she is having a bit of trouble, i have to remember there is swelling in there and she's coughing from the trach tube. I just hope all of the issues don't return tomorrow.

k
Karla - thanks so much for explaining. Now it makes sense. You've got a lot of prayers coming your way tonight. Hope you can get some rest and that Feather improves. Hard to see improvement right after surgery I would think but hoping little by little. Sending you massive ((((hugs))))

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Keeping little Feather and you in our thoughts ,son to be on the mend. She made it through the surgery,so lets see her pull through this too.
Hugs from the 5 fluffs,Al and myself... and Harry the cat too.

·
Premium Member
10,201 Posts

k
Karla, I continue to keep both you and Feather in my thoughts and prayers. I thought about you and Feather all day. I can only imagine how stressful this is for you. All of us here understand, because most of us have experienced illness with our fluff babies at one time or another. It's scary not knowing what might be the exact cause of their illness. And, often when we know what's causing it ... we still worry because we love them with all our hearts.

I completely understand what you mean in regard to "all of the "experts" missed it." I've learned that often we can sense when something isn't right, even if we are told nothing is really wrong. And, with that, I've also learned to be assertive when I get that gut feeling that something needs to be checked further. So, I applaud you for not having given up with Feather.

I wish for you and Feather to get some restful sleep tonight. I know that may not be possible yet ... but, I hope you both get a little peaceful sleep.

Love and healing hugs for you and Feather. And, I hope Feather has sweet puppy doggie dreams soon. :tender:

1 - 20 of 92 Posts