Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Kobe, 3 months, Maltese
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I get him on a schedule is beyond me. He has always been free fed. I put out a half of cup of his kibble in the morning and he eats throughout the day. Usually 2 to 4 times I’ve noticed but nothing set like a specific time. I’ve tried putting down a 1/4 cup twice a day and if he’s not ready he just won’t eat. He doesn’t seem to care. He doesn’t like very much in the way of our food. He loves bread so occasionally we share that and he doesn’t even care for dog treats much. Especially not if he has to chew on it too long. But he will definitely always finish his 1/2 cup of kibble as long as I leave it out in a common area where he can watch what’s going on while he eats. Not in a corner or off to the side of the kitchen. He will eat I think because he’s really hungry but he won’t finish it all in the day. Is this alright or do I need to figure something else out?

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Oh, you do have a challenging eater on your hands. I would keep doing what you're doing with the free-feeding if that's the only way he'll eat all of his food. This is another good thing to discuss at your next vet appointment. And I'd get a full liver panel, if you haven't already.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,066 Posts
You could try this.....put down his breakfast and if he doesn't eat it within 1/2 hr, pick it up. Don't give it back to him until dinner time and by then he might be hungry enough to eat it all. Once he realizes that he needs to eat at mealtimes, maybe he will get on a schedule. Have to tried moistening his kibble with warm water to bring out the flavor more. Then he might eat it better too.

·
Registered
Kobe, 3 months, Maltese
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, you do have a challenging eater on your hands. I would keep doing what you're doing with the free-feeding if that's the only way he'll eat all of his food. This is another good thing to discuss at your next vet appointment. And I'd get a full liver panel, if you haven't already.
Liver panel? What would that be for?

·
Registered
Kobe, 3 months, Maltese
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could try this.....put down his breakfast and if he doesn't eat it within 1/2 hr, pick it up. Don't give it back to him until dinner time and by then he might be hungry enough to eat it all. Once he realizes that he needs to eat at mealtimes, maybe he will get on a schedule. Have to tried moistening his kibble with warm water to bring out the flavor more. Then he might eat it better too.
Yes, we’ve tried both. I’ve even tried mixing his kibble with a small amount of wet food. Same brand as his kibble. Still all sits there.

It’s almost like he’s never hungry but at some point he eats because he knows he should. Like he will pass his bow and glance at it like, hmmm, maybe I should eat. It must be there for a reason. Lol

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,066 Posts
Yes, we’ve tried both. I’ve even tried mixing his kibble with a small amount of wet food. Same brand as his kibble. Still all sits there.

It’s almost like he’s never hungry but at some point he eats because he knows he should. Like he will pass his bow and glance at it like, hmmm, maybe I should eat. It must be there for a reason. Lol
I've always heard the saying: "some dogs eat to live, whereas other dogs live to eat". Pipper is one of the dogs that lives to eat. He LOVES food, any kind of food. He would eat anything I give him. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Guess I have it easy.

·
Registered
Kobe, 3 months, Maltese
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've always heard the saying: "some dogs eat to live, whereas other dogs live to eat". Pipper is one of the dogs that lives to eat. He LOVES food, any kind of food. He would eat anything I give him. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Guess I have it easy.
Alright then I guess Kobe is eat to live kind of pup.😌 I will discuss it at large with the vet though on January 25.

My husband asked to start giving him a tiny amount of wet food again so I’ve tried 2 tbsp in the morning and he will only touch it if I warm it of if little and if I smash it really good. It can’t have any lumps. If it does he will take them out of his bowl and throw them in the floor. 🤪

He does love burger though. My husband is a vegetarian so it funny to see him go to Burger King with Kobe and buy him a plain burger. He’ll only give him about 1/4 to 1/2 of a patty maybe once every 2 weeks but Kobe knows what’s in that bag already.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Merry Christmas..... I have the same problem with my little 11 months Mischa.... I have 4 different kind of food that I have bought because she does not like anything even we have been making food at home such white rice, turkey with vegetables and still does not eat much....but I would have her done a liver enzyme level test

·
Registered
18 Posts
How do I get him on a schedule is beyond me. He has always been free fed. I put out a half of cup of his kibble in the morning and he eats throughout the day. Usually 2 to 4 times I’ve noticed but nothing set like a specific time. I’ve tried putting down a 1/4 cup twice a day and if he’s not ready he just won’t eat. He doesn’t seem to care. He doesn’t like very much in the way of our food. He loves bread so occasionally we share that and he doesn’t even care for dog treats much. Especially not if he has to chew on it too long. But he will definitely always finish his 1/2 cup of kibble as long as I leave it out in a common area where he can watch what’s going on while he eats. Not in a corner or off to the side of the kitchen. He will eat I think because he’s really hungry but he won’t finish it all in the day. Is this alright or do I need to figure something else out?
I tried to g
How do I get him on a schedule is beyond me. He has always been free fed. I put out a half of cup of his kibble in the morning and he eats throughout the day. Usually 2 to 4 times I’ve noticed but nothing set like a specific time. I’ve tried putting down a 1/4 cup twice a day and if he’s not ready he just won’t eat. He doesn’t seem to care. He doesn’t like very much in the way of our food. He loves bread so occasionally we shareMy that and he doesn’t even care for dog treats much. Especially not if he has to chew on it too long. But he will definitely always finish his 1/2 cup of kibble as long as I leave it out in a common area where he can watch what’s going on while he eats. Not in a corner or off to the side of the kitchen. He will eat I think because he’s really hungry but he won’t finish it all in the day. Is this alright or do I need to figure something else out?
Sounds like he is doing good. My picky is going to get his food in great room and see if it helps. We have 2 young cats and if they go for Lucky's food, he eats it. I really think we are all worried for a small issue. I dont clean out my plate. My reason for his eating is more for having him do his pooping morning and evening. If Lucky will eat meat from my hand or his food as a treat, He is not sick.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I tried to gd v
Sounds like he is doing good. My picky is half bichon but mom was maltese. He has all the maltese traits and picky but from reading all these posts. I will let Lucky be Lucky, Will try the food in common area. Kibble in play toys is what he likes best. Fill toys with his 1/2 cup of dry food. It is gone by end of day. I know I need to relax about the food thing. Lucky is 11.9 # at 13 mo and vet said in great health.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts