Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brinkley is pretty much free fed...he gets a scoop a day in his bowl to finish whenever he wants.
How do people with two...that need two different foods (adult and puppy)...make sure they eat the right food? I think it would be next to impossible to keep them separate.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
As you know, we're in the same boat!

Here's what I'm going to do. I have a playard/x-pen. The puppy will go inside there to eat. I'm at work for about 4 hours, come home for 1, and then go back for another 3 hours. The puppy will surely eat during those times.

That way, I can ensure that they are separate when I cannot supervise, and no one steals the others food.

Eventually, I am going to switch the puppy over to natural balance. It's a good food that both puppy and adult can eat.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I was in a similar situation when we got Toby.

I figured Wally needed to learn what was his and what was Toby's and vise versa.

I put Wally's food in his bowl first and then Toby's. Wally, for the first week, tried to eat Toby's food, but we just kept saying, "Noooo..." in a calm voice and finally he learned to stay away from Toby's bowl.

The downfalls are they are both fed at the same time and everyone has to eat or the bowls are picked up (of course that is never a problem for Wally, but some days Toby is just picky). That means that there is no free feeding and someone has to be in the kitchen when they are eating because Wally will steal Toby's food, however, if someone is in the kitchen then all is fine.

I don't know that if you get two, free feeding will still be possible, but having two sure makes the minor inconvenience of feeding time worth it. :D

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
When chester and chelsey were eating different food . I fed them in there crates... Even now they eat in there crate... or chelsey will eat all the food and chester being the gentelman that he is will have noting to eat. He always lets chelsey get her share first. .

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I still have Catcher's puppy play pen up and I feed him in there and Kallie eats in the kitchen. When he was a puppy, I often hand fed him. Now, sometimes for supper I feed them together but give them just a few pieces of kibble at a time, so they are too busy eating their's to worry about the other's. They eat the same thing now but Catcher always tries to eat Kallie's food. I don't free feed because they gobble up what I put in their bowls right away. Mostly, though, Catcher eats in his pen and Kallie in the kitchen because they can relax and not worry about each other's food, etc.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I usually separate the girls. When I had both crates up I would but them in that. Now that I have the x-pen up one goes in that and then other goes in the crate. Sometimes I don't separate them and just put both bowls down. I've been doing that too much lately and I think Nikki (aka the pig) has been eaching most of the food.
So I need to start separating them again.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I was feeding Peanut Artemis small breed which is for all life stages, so I didn't have to worry about it much. Just had to be sure they both got their share of it. After Peanut got switched to prescription food, I had to feed them in their crates. It was a little rough the first couple of weeks, but now the boys know that's how it is and it's easy now. The crates are next to each other so I had to put a towel around one of them because Tic would try to cram his nose through the bars to reach Peanut's food

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.