Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that traveling with our fluffs has come up before. I read your posts and when I did, I started feeling anxious and my stomach got upset just thinking about it. I hope you all don't think I'm nuts. My DH wants to go to Europe in a couple of years. I love to travel and both DH and I have done a lot. We always take our girls and have a wonderful time. I have never left them, and I am not sure I could. I've been to Europe, but DH has not. We're in our 50s' and he wants to go while we still can. I feel so torn because I really want to be with DH but I don't know how I can leave my girls and go overseas and have a good time. That's really far away and there is no one I trust to leave them with. :smcry:If I knew they were safe, happy, and well-cared for, maybe I would go. What would you do?

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
April - I did leave Tyler. Maybe I'm a bad mom but he was just fine. Last year I won (yes won) a sweepstakes and the prize was free RT Biz Class trip on Open Skies to Paris. I had arranged to take it in April for a week with my DH. I had gotten Tyler in October. I worried about the flight for him and also about where we could or couldn't go. I scoped out a couple of friends, did a trial run with one of them, which didn't work out and then chose the second. She was someone whose Maltese I pet sat for in helping me decide to get a Maltese. He had a great time with little Peter and was totally loved and my friend had a great time having him. I've petsat for a couple of friends before I got Tyler and I can tell you those dogs were totally loved and adored and spoiled. I think if you find someone it really isn't a burden to them. And as for my DH and I, it was really like a second honeymoon and we never had to worry about getting back to feed Tyler or take care of him. It's kind of nice to be spontaneous. I wish we lived closer. I could take in your two little flowers.:wub:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would look into taking them with. Since you are planning this a couple years in advance I would plan out the places I want to visit..see if they are pet friendly and look for pet friendly hotels, etc.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
What would I do? I'd go to Europe.

Since you're not going for a few years, you have plenty of time to find someone who you trust to look after your girls. For me, it's my Vet.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Definately go to Europe! I LOVE to travel and haven't gone overseas in a few years and miss it terribly. I would leave Louis with someone I trusted and knew would take good care of him. If my bf was in town it would probably be him or my parents if he was gone. I would recommend doing a trial run for a night so you could see if its a good match. Also, I would definately have that person come over and spend a day wth you so he/she could observe the routine with feeding, hair brushing, teeth brushing, and etc. If you really had to take the fluffs go to Paris, they are so pet friendly! I'm sure your girls would love it!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Oh I can definitely relate to you on this...my family and I have planned a trip to Europe this winter and I am so stressed about leaving Bailey. I do have a few different people I can leave him with, but just the thought of leaving him behind REALLY worries me. I am a complete control freak when it comes to Bailey and I have a feeling I'll be leaving a mile-long list of instructions for whoever will be watching him (yes I know that's kind of obnoxious haha).

People always tell me...you're young, you should travel a lot, go see the world. And I always say, "But what about Bailey?" haha...I often refer to him as my "ball and chain" VERY LOVINGLY of course :)

I definitely think you and your husband should go ahead and plan your trip...in the mean time, maybe do test runs like Sue did with her friends watching Tyler. You have a couple of years so hopefully you'll find someone you'll be comfortable leaving Rose and Lily with.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Definately go to Europe! I LOVE to travel and haven't gone overseas in a few years and miss it terribly. I would leave Louis with someone I trusted and knew would take good care of him. If my bf was in town it would probably be him or my parents if he was gone. I would recommend doing a trial run for a night so you could see if its a good match. Also, I would definately have that person come over and spend a day wth you so he/she could observe the routine with feeding, hair brushing, teeth brushing, and etc. If you really had to take the fluffs go to Paris, they are so pet friendly! I'm sure your girls would love it!

We went to Paris last year and I was SO pleasantly surprised at how pet-friendly it was! There were dogs walking around in restaurants, even! I have always been curious about how it would work to take your fluff with you to Europe. Could you carry them on with you in the cabin? And dont most countries have quarantine periods? Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread...but maybe this info could be useful to you as well.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
I went on a cruise - not the same as Europe - Star stayed with my groomer. He loved her kids, made the rounds at night and slept with all of them for a bit, and he played with the fur kids as well. By all accounts. he had a wonderful time. We both had the same vet so if an emergancy arose a vet wasn't going to be an issue.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,700 Posts
It isn't difficult to take a dog to Europe but you do need/have to fulfill the requirements---let's say for the EU countries (not including Ireland, UK of course). You need an up-to-date pet-passport (W/rabies shots, etc. & health certificate written in pet passport at least 10 days prior to travel stating dog has no communicable diseases), and a micro-chip. That is pretty much it. You pay according to the air-line (approx. 150. euros each way) and the dog goes in cabin at your feet in an approved carry tote. He is sometimes also counted as one of your carry-ons depending on which airlines you fly.
Europe is pretty much pet-friendly but check it out to be sure (hotel, eating places). I have had our maltese in some of the finest eating places in Europe over the last years.
I would recommend, however, for a short (say 2 week trip) leaving your baby home---it is stressful for a dog to travel these long-haul flights if they are not used to it. If you need more info. let me know---I have traveled for the last 39 yrs. internationally w/maltese! I am not an expert but I am experienced.:yes:

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
If I were you, I would go to Europe, and spend this coming 2 years before the trip, searching for the best/safe place to leave the girls when you are gone since the flight from the States to Europe is very long....Unless your stay in Europe was for soooo long (2 months and + for example)

:) all the best!

Kat

·
Premium Member
6,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm so glad I asked! You gals are the best:hugging: and I feel so much better having asked! You have given me some great advice. Thank you so much:wub:

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
We go away every year and luckily we have our kids to watch the fluffs,
but 2 years ago we went to Hawaii for 2 weeks and the kids came with us. I found a pet sitter that was very reliable and also gave keys to the neighbors and to my sister to check in on the boys occasionally. I worried and obsessed and left lists and directions a mile long.... and the boys were absolutely fine when we got home. Use the next couple of years finding a pet sitter that you really trust and let your babies get to know him or her.... don't give up a trip to Europe!!!!

Good luck with your plans!!!

Debbie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts