Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Feeling blue...why is this happening?

3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  SugarBob62 
#1 ·
He doesn't want to sit in our laps anymore! We pick him up to cuddle and he would rather nap next to us. I miss my cuddling time. If I pick him up to hold him while I'm standing, he looks down on the floor for toys I think because he thinks if she's giving me attention let's play not cuddle. He's a very playful pup and he loves attention. I walk him for 20-30 minutes about four times a week and my husband and I play with him every day. He can settle down and sleep but as soon as he wakes up he brings me his rope. Did we spoil him? Will he ever sit on my lap again...this mama misses her baby. He does the same with the grandkids. He will play fetch with them, but when they want to cuddle with him he's looking to get away or sit on the other side of the sectional. I'm so sad.

#3 ·
It's not always because he wants to play. I don't want to give you the wrong picture of him though..he is very bonded with me & especially and more now than ever with my husband. He's my shadow. Sometimes we'll be sitting on the sectional and he's next to me...I pick him up to cuddle and he stands on me, won't lay down. Then he looks at the couch and wants to get off my lap and nap next to me. He follows me into every room of the house and wants to be near me, just not on my lap or in my arms. Sometimes he will lay in my arms if I am standing and he lays down his head over my arm for a few minutes. I want to look into his face, but he's always looking away unless I have a treat. It seems he cannot focus without a treat or reward. He "talks" to me in the kitchen while I'm cooking, LOL...then I have his full attention. I taught him sit, come, down, sit pretty, dance, leave it, stay and he now walks on a leash with no barking, no pulling and can be around stange dogs. When we go to the park people want to play with him and give him attention, but he doesn't care he just wants to do his own thing...sniff around..he doesn't look up at them. When the grandkids come he acts very excited, does his happy dance. I know he's happy...maybe it is a puppy thing. I wish I knew for sure. I know from the first night we got him he slept in his crate all night. Only now he is in the habit of waking my husband up early. But from the time he came home he's been sleeping in his crate and never cried. Is he just independent in ways? He is also humping his bed a lot. He was nuetered when he was 6 months old. I gave a bunch of info I know..Lol, sorry...thought I'd tell all so maybe someone would be able to figure my little guy out.

#13 ·
Rocky is in the "teenage" stage. :biggrin:

Note #1 on the list in this article:

During adolescence, your dog will:

Become more interested in the big, wild world than she is in you.

Adolescent Dogs | Dog Time - What to expect from your adolescent dog

Adolescence: The Teenage Dog - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!
Ladysmom, thank you so much for these links. They sure helped me a lot! I so appreciate it...now I can understand him a little better.:ThankYou:

#5 ·
my dolce is kinda acting like that lately , he wants attention , mind u he will play , he wakes us up , he will bark to be put on the couch , i put him on my lap , n he stays for a bit n then either lays next to me , or goes to the corner of my sectional and lays on a pillow ... its the teenage yrs lol !!!

#7 ·
He may end up being a pup that shows his affection in other ways. Catcher is not a cuddler at all. But he will sit in front of me and stare at me with such devotion in his eyes. He loves for me to pet and stroke him and talk baby talk to him and he just about melts. He follows me everywhere and the little guy really does adore me but he just will not cuddle. My girls are big cuddlers, especially Claire.

#8 ·
Aolani does that too. Sometimes he'll just plain ignore me and look away from me (my mom and I agree that he looks like my grandma when he does that LOL). I give him his space and when he does want my attention i ignore him back LOL. What I do when i want his attention and he's not responding is lay on the floor and he always comes to check out what's goign on with me - then he'll give me kisses and roll over for a belly rub, which he loves! But, yes, he mostly just wants to play, he's not much of a cuddler right now and often needs his space which I'm okay with because I like my space too in this heat :)

#9 ·
My Bitsy isn't a cuddler either. At 9 months now, all she wants to do is play. She does like to be carried around, but doesn't like to stay on my lap. Bianca on the other hand (almost 4 yrs old) will sleep on top of me if I let her and she will cuddle and kiss 24/7 with whoever is around.

#18 ·
My Bitsy isn't a cuddler either. At 9 months now, all she wants to do is play. She does like to be carried around, but doesn't like to stay on my lap. Bianca on the other hand (almost 4 yrs old) will sleep on top of me if I let her and she will cuddle and kiss 24/7 with whoever is around.
I had no idea there would be other fluffs out there just like him. The little stinker had me tossing and turning all night. I guess I worry too much, a little crazy sometimes, but that's me, LOL.
Thank you for this post!:flowers:

#19 ·
LOL, oh Matilda, you too? I guess there's hope for the Rockstar. After all he and Matilda are dating now, driving all around Paris in that Smartcar. Shhhh, don't tell the other boys!

Thank you Matilida's mommy! Rocky says thank you too for calming my Mommy down, sheesh!

#11 ·
He may just turn out to be a more independent dog, and there is nothing wrong with that. I have Preston who is 1 and he can't get enough lap time, and then I have London who is 2 1/2 and she would rather lay next to you. She likes to be pet, massaged, etc but doesn't care too often to actually lay in a lap. She also loves to play.

#12 ·
Sparkey is the same. he has never been a cuddler. once or twice I held him for 5 minutes and felt so good but I think he was tired. I never figured out why he doesn't like to be held or picked up. he likes his belly rubs and massages. he is bonded with me but in different ways.

#23 ·
He'll grow out of that stage. Izzy cuddled like crazy when I first brought her home and then she didn't want anything to do with me until she was about 2 or so. Now she is an awesome cuddler!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.