Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP our 12 week old Maltese puppy just got her second dose of shots but we were told it will be a few more months before she can go anywhere other dogs go. We do not have our own yard and she hates the carrier. Owners and pup going bonkers! Any suggestions welcome.

Premium Member
What kind of carrier have you tried? I would suggest a small satchel/tote type with a lot of mesh.

When I had a tiny puppy, my vet also advised me not to let him put feet on the ground because of parvo concerns. I got him a small Sherpa brand satchel carrier and carried him around the neighborhood and a nice park in it. He did not get a lot of socialization, but it was a relief from boredom. He was interested enough in the surroundings that he did not complain about going in it. I believe I used treats to help him get used to it.

He outgrew it, but later I got him a deluxe carrier (of another brand) with roll up shades, and he was comfortable enough in it to go on several plane trips and he behaved perfectly

A lot of indoor games will help. Playing fetch is a good one. I lay on the couch and threw the toy, and he raced after and returned it. 馃槃

Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
You can try a satchel, and you might also get a stroller. I can not tell you how much Casper likes his stroller. The satchel makes them feel secure, the stroller gives them a chance to move around a bit. i have both, but find the stroller more comfortable. I can't tell you how handy the stroller is. Fetch with a soft toy is a great idea.

Reactions: mss

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. We converted our garage to a 鈥渞omper鈥 room that way the door can be open so she gets use to sounds breezes etc.. She does actually fetch and return a small tennis ball! Maybe it鈥檚 just me/the humans feeling cabin fever lol. I haven鈥檛 tried a stroller, I thought she may just try jumping out, but like you said maybe all the stimulation will be enough to keep her in? I鈥檒l give it a try.

Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
Pet strollers have a safety line inside (mine has to from Gen Pet) so they won't jump out. This year we added a fan for Lisi (battery operated) to help w/the heat as needed. She used to hate the stroller but now she loves it. Well worth the money.

Super Moderator
I usually have the screen down on the stroller, si he can see out but is safe, but as Sandi mentioned they have a safety cord also.

Reactions: mss

Premium Member
I haven't used a stroller, but I see pictures that seem to have mesh surrounding where the pet sits, so the pet is enclosed and prevented from jumping out. I'd think that would also reduce the chances of some other, possibly contagious doggie sniffing too close to the "passenger"dog.

Registered
Thank you. We converted our garage to a 鈥渞omper鈥 room that way the door can be open so she gets use to sounds breezes etc.. She does actually fetch and return a small tennis ball! Maybe it鈥檚 just me/the humans feeling cabin fever lol. I haven鈥檛 tried a stroller, I thought she may just try jumping out, but like you said maybe all the stimulation will be enough to keep her in? I鈥檒l give it a try.
The pet stroller I bought has a mesh in the front of the stroller that zippers so they can't jump out. Being wheeled around is enjoyable for them and I don't have to worry about the hot sidewalks burning their paws.

Super Moderator
If you do think about a stroller, consider its weight and where you are going to store it. I find the stroller I got to be too heavy to carry in and out everyday, so I store it in the shed. I also live in a very hilly place, so it is a chore to push a heavy stroller up hill. We walk about five miles a day, and he gets so excited when he sees me roll the stroller to the door.

• Love
Reactions: edelweiss

Registered
Lily
My stroller has 2 security type clips so the pup won鈥檛 be able to jump out. She loves the stroller for when there are lots of people and pups eg. Parade, fair etc

Registered
I got this carrier purse bag for my pup: All-Black Pet Tote bag when she couldn't walk outside.

I think it's perfect to desensitize the world with. I first tried the snuggit, but she was so scared of the outside (I live in downtown, so imagine bunch of cars and people and there were also construction) that should would hide in it and not come out even when she's hot and panting (the panting and getting hot part was concerning b/c it's summer). I also had a wagon, but i think she felt too exposed and wanted to be close to me.

This carrier though, it's prefect for walking (she's comfy and has space, right beside my body, and she can poke her head (or see through mesh) if she feels like it). It's perfect as a car carrier (I just plop it on the sit), and to go shopping with (it fits perfectly on standard grocery shopping cart child seat).

If she is too small, you can pad the bottom so she can see outside. There is a tether in there for a harness so she won't accidentally fall out (or just zip the mesh). Also the bottom is like hard so her weight won't awkwardly round the bottom of purse out.

Registered
HELP our 12 week old Maltese puppy just got her second dose of shots but we were told it will be a few more months before she can go anywhere other dogs go. We do not have our own yard and she hates the carrier. Owners and pup going bonkers! Any suggestions welcome.
I am isolated with my puppy at home as well. And I had covid as well. We will complete her vaccinations today. She should鈥檝e had gotten her last vaccination 10 days ago but she didn鈥檛.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts