Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know Hunter had 6 teeth removed and 3 roots removed a few weeks ago. The teeth that were removed were all teeth between his canines (the front teeth). I was told that these teeth aren't used for much and that he wouldn't miss them but this is SO UNTRUE! Now, I know he doesn't use these teeth to eat and I am certain this is what the vet was talking about but now many of his toys are sitting in a box. He can't pull treats from some of his toys without his front teeth and he can't play with some of them like he used to. In fact, he often ignores them now and we are working to find things for him to play with.

I hate seeing him not play like he used to and would love some imput on what toys others use for their pups without teeth.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Typically the gums will harden up over the time.
I am suspicious that part of his problem may be anticipating discomfort or your reaction to his behavior. There is no reason why he can't play fetch and tug. I would encourage him to do so and be very non-reactive any time he appears to have trouble. I've seen hundreds of dogs and cats with much more dramatic extractions than Hunter...and this is not typical.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Poor Hunter boy, I'm so sorry to hear about that!

Hope you're doing better very soon! Hugs and kisses from us to you!

Alexandra :wub:

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Typically the gums will harden up over the time.
I am suspicious that part of his problem may be anticipating discomfort or your reaction to his behavior. There is no reason why he can't play fetch and tug. I would encourage him to do so and be very non-reactive any time he appears to have trouble. I've seen hundreds of dogs and cats with much more dramatic extractions than Hunter...and this is not typical.

That's what I was thinking too. Since it's so soon after his recent extraction, he may be anticapting discomfort, but once he gets used to his mouth the way it is, it will once again become his normal and he will be back playing with his toys again.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jackie - do you think his gums still have some healing to do? That was something I wondered about and thought maybe this is why he isn't trying to bit down on anything at this time?

He never has played fetch but did like tug - and we were told no more tug as one canine isn't firmly planted in the gum and we need to allow that area to heal more before we reintroduce tug.

He has never been a real player -he is a very serious, task driven little guy (which makes training great) but playtime isn't something he really does well so to see him ignoring his few toys caused concern.

Thanks for the feedback!

PS. teeth were taken out because they were too loose and causing him pain and discomfort. He was a rescue and came to us with very bad teeth that we tried to recover but you can't grow back roots and gum lines.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Aww poor Hunter. Jackie raised some great points. Maybe it'll just take some time for his mouth to heal and for Hunter to feel comfortable with playing again. Is he eating the same?

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tammy - He has been eating the same since 24 hours after the procedure. It's simply treats and toys that he has become cautious around and downright ignoring.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Erin, give him time and don't make a big deal out of it. My Skipper had NO teeth at all and could still get all the eggs out of any Egg Baby toy in the house. Grace no longer has her incisors, not only does she get the eggs out of the Egg Babies, but if I'm not right there to take the eggs from her she will have them ripped open in no time to get at the squeaker. I bet Hunter just needs to figure it all out.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Awww, poor Hunter...did you try getting down on the floor with him or buy him some new toy, maybe he's bored? I know I have to keep switching toys to keep Rocky amused, we rotate them every week.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Oh, poor boy. I'm sorry he seems to be having difficulty. Hopefully he just needs some time to adjust and then he'll feel comfortable playing with his toys again. *Hugs*

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
I know how upsetting this is for you Erin. I'm really sorry. But I'm thinking Jackie is right. Not only may it be anticipation of it still hurting (he still remembers what it was like before the extractions), but also it just feels down right 'different'. I still remember what it felt like to loose a baby tooth as a kid and I didn't like eating certain things simply because it felt 'wierd' i.e. different. I'm betting that's how it is with Hunter. And he's a sensitive little guy who is very in tune with you. I'm betting he's noticing how carefully you are observing him and sensing your worry. Think and act like mom's do when their little ones fall and hurt themselves but they know it's not serious. They act like it's no big deal. Usually the kids don't even cry. Just keep reminding yourself that Hunter is not in any pain. And you want to encourage him to figure out how to do things differently. He's a smart boy. He'll figure it out.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
16,777 Posts
Bonnie had her front teeth pulled last summer, and she's chewing on a bully stick as we speak! We also play tug and fetch, so maybe he's just healing.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
His gums should be healed...but the tissue may take a few more weeks to really toughen up.

ha ha ha - I love that you used the phrase "toughen up" because I told Hunter today when he wouldn't eat his sweet potato that he needed to "toughen up" and stop being a little wimp because that's what he was going to get. :HistericalSmiley:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts