Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that the Maltese standard says that Maltese should be between 4-7 lbs, and that occasionally we get one that is under or over the standard.

My Lacie weighs approximately 6 lbs. If she's eaten before she's weighed she sometimes runs as much as 6.2 lbs. and if she hasn't been eating a lot, we will sometimes go as low as 5.8 lbs.

She's certainly within the 4-7 lb. standard and I don't see where anyone can call a 6 lb. fluff BIG.

BUT -- I'm now seeing more and more pressue from pet owners about wanting fluffs are only up to 4 or maybe 4 1/2 lbs. So many seem to be looking for fluffs under 4 lbs. Even when I take Lacie and Tilly out with me for errands, a lot of people are saying that they thought Maltese were a lot smaller than 6 lbs.

Tilly is a bigger girl weighing approximately 11 lbs., but she is also a rescue and I never thought she would be within standard, but Lacie is from a good breeder (no longer breeding) with many of the famous champions in her pedigree.

Do any of the rest of you feel this way, or am I being overly sensitive in feeling that others are making me feel that Lacie is GIGANTIC?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Lynn, I think more and more breeders are getting requests for puppies who will grow to be no more than 4 lbs. but preferably less. And no matter how many times these people are told what the low end of the standard is they keep asking. So I haven't figured out if more people want teeny weeny dogs or if it's the same small group of people who are contacting every breeder around. Personally I love them at 5-1/2 to 6 lbs. If someone else thinks that's too big, oh well. What disturbs me is when I hear that a breeder is using a 2-1/2 lb male for breeding. It seems to me that the only reason for using a stud that small is because the breeder is now breeding to please the crowd rather than to maintain excellence in the breed. My oldest, who also came from rescue, weighs 10 lbs. Next to a 5 lb. dog one looks big and the other looks small. Next to a 3 lb. dog mine looks like a pro football player ... or the other looks like a speck of lint. I couldn't care less what people think of my dogs and I certainly do not apologize for any of their sizes.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I usually hear the opposite when i take the kids anywhere. Chloe is 6 1/2 lbs., Riley is 5lbs 15oz and Noelle is 5lbs 9oz and people comment on how little they are and ask if they are teacups, i kindly tell them that no they are within the standards and tell them that there are no such things as teacup anything except the cups you drink tea out of.

Lacie and Tilly are both perfect, don't worry about what people are saying. Some just don't know any better and all you can do is educate them.

Unfortunately there is a trend for people wanting the smaller end of the standard and even smaller than small end of standard. I'm happy with my big kids that are within standard.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Healthy is always #1 to me; size is fairly low on my scale. I wanted a dog who was hearty, didn't shake and tremble and had good self-esteem. And boy did I get one. When I saw the listing for Tyler I didn't even pay attention to estimated weight. When I went to the breeder to look at him though, he had two pups. The other was bigger and more expensive but very cute. The breeder looked at me (I'm only 5'1") and said pointing to Tyler (nee Elvis:HistericalSmiley:) "He's the one for you. He just fits." I picked him up, he leaned into me and sighed and he was just the right size to fit in my heart.

I'm in love with so many of the fluffs on the forum and really can't tell from pictures how big or small they are. I don't care if they're purebred or rescue rascals. They're beautiful inside and out and loving and that to me is the thing to look for...not the tiniest dog on the block. JMHO.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Who cares what other people think, or what other people want in a Malt? You have lovely dogs, you love them, and they love you. That's what matters.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Little ones can be found in all breeders litters now and then. I really don't think everyone wants a tiny. Those that do hopefully know the extra commitment and care they take. I've seen just as many people go for the standard size if not more. 6 lbs is on the larger side of the standard. 4 lbs is on the smaller. Overall quality is to be considered so only breeders who are concerned with free whelping litters are concerned with size. They usually sell off the smaller ones. Perhaps that's why we see them on here. Also, another thing to consider is how our lifestyles have changed. People travel more and don't want to leave their dogs at home. Thus the small dog goes in the bag and off to lands unmarked (yet).

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Your baby isn't gigantic by any stretch of the imagination. I get asked if Pepper is a teacup (just like the other poster wrote), and it is irksome. But it's a term people toss around like it's a widely accepted, professional, breeding term to describe a super-tiny specimen of some sort. And one that is highly desirable, to boot. Seriously, a 4-7 pound dog is already tiny enough, anyone seeking to miniaturize the already microscopic isn't catering to the animal's best interest, but to the crowd. As has been noted, we are a supply-demand world, and as long as there is a market for micro/minis(more faux terminology) there will be no short supply of them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
People are not always very sensetive to others...

Bentley is a bit larger than he is "supposed" to be ... lol- but then again i am not a perfect weight either! So if he is a bit bigger that "standards" oh well!

Last time I checked no one or nothing was "perfect" God made us all unique ...not perfect! :)

So if anyone that tries to make you feel less or "bad" in any way, understand they are searching for the impossible...perfection and missing out on unique. :)

Your baby is beautiful!! :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
No, Lacie is not gigantic, she looks perfect. Take a look at Rocco. He weighs 6+ pounds at 5 months of age. He comes from a wonderful breeder who told me he would weigh between 4 and 5 pounds. He is not fat, he is big. I highly doubt that he will fall within the "Standard" He is healthy and happy, those are my priorities for my pet. Enjoy your beautiful girl!

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
2 of mine are BBB Big Beautiful Babes...:HistericalSmiley:They're 8 and 9 pounds,one is 6 pounds and one is 4.5 pounds. The larger ones are so much healthier than my smaller ones,their bones don't pop when I pick them up and they're solid and play like maniacs. They have no trouble w/ steps or getting up and down on the sofa or jumping in and out of the car or even the truck.. Bitsy does pretty good on the sofa,she can jump in the car,but not out,she's 6 pounds, Rylee has a real tough time on furniture ,steps needs lifted in and out of the car and the poor little guy does yip sometimes,he gets hurt easily..
Sometimes I think there's a disadvantage to being to small and delicate. Sure they look adorable but I think the bigger ones do too.
I guess ,for me,I'd rather them be healthier than conforming to an imposed standard.:unsure:
I'm sure there are tinies out there that are heathy,with no health issues,just like I'm sure there are some larger ones that have issues.
for me,I just care they're healthy and happy,to me there's nothing more beautiful than a happy,healthy fluff,no matter the size.:wub:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Before we understood about puppy mills we purchased Casey from a pet store; he is approximately 9.5 pounds. Cosmo is a rescue, weighs approximately 13 pounds and is obviously a maltese mix. We ran into someone one day with a much smaller maltese then my 2. Other people were there and made a comment about how cute all the dogs were and asked what breed they were. The woman said her dog was a maltese, she pointed to me and said I told her mine was too but she didn't know if they were because they were so big. I told her I had more to love. I was so upset that someone would dare say anything negative about them. I think Casey and Cosmo are the most handsome boys in the world and would not change anything about them (other then Cosmos constant barking!!). As a matter of fact I call them that so often they will turn to look at me when I say the word "handsome".

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
Lynn, You have beautiful girls and I think Lacie's size is perfect. I can't imagine anyone thinking she's gigantic. She's around the size of Tess and that's not gigantic. Tess was such a tiny thing at a thin 3 1/2 pounds but in the past year she's blossomed into a beautiful almost 6 pound baby. I think that weight is perfect for her!
Zoey is around 5 pounds and perfect. Emy is only 3 pounds and I have to be so very careful with her. I didn't search out a tiny, she just landed in my lap. Emy's really thin so I hope in time she'll gain more weight. She plays hard all day so its been hard to get weight on her. Actually Emy's perfect too. I've never seen a Maltese that isn't. :wub:
Hug your 2 beautiful girls for us.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
What i love is they come in all shapes and sizes and are all beautiful ....Baci started to creep up in size TO ME LOL and is 6 LBS...As long as he is Heathy and happy so am I..

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Personally, I've come to really like them on the little larger side of the standard. Pixie is about 4lbs and she just seems to fragile to me. if/when I ever get another, I will be looking for one that will be a little bigger. 6lb range would be great!

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Lynn, Lacie is perfect. Abbey is perfect too...and she's up to 7 lbs now - she's not fat - she looks good. Archie is up to 10 lbs now , but he really needs to lose a pound or two....for the sake of his health.

I enjoy the 4 - 8 range. They're strong and healthy and still small. I also love Ava's tiny size, but we've got to be so much more careful around her. Geez when I combed her long hair i'd pull her over sometimes - she's such a light weight. She can't go down steps nor can she use the doggie door. There is a big difference. The only thing big on her is her bark :blink:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If Lacey is gigantic, my Maggie is enormous! She weighs 7 lbs. and is solid as a little rock. Trixie is almost 6 lbs and when I got her a year ago from a local rescue she weighed 4 lbs. I was afraid I would break her. My two girls are healthy and happy and I am glad they are not so-called teacups. Hey, they still fit in their purse carriers.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I dont care if they are 10 lbs or 2.5 lbs or if they are show dogs or puppy mill dogs. They are all Beautiful and full of life . Your Girl is Absolutely Beautiful!!! How could anyone not simply love these dogs!!!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts