Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to bring Milo to a fun show last Sunday as it was in aid of the rescue that I got Roxy from.

I brought the wrong dog though as poor Milo was skipped in every class, they accually walked right past us when looking at each of the dogs :( - I had no idea what was going on but I was told afterwards that a show dog will never ever be placed at a rescue show - only pets and rescues:huh:
Okay, fair enough but I told no one that Milo was a show dog - how did they know? and if they're presuming a well groomed dog is a show dog then I feel bad for people who go with their pet pure bred dogs who maybe decided to keep their coat long or whatever.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
That is frustrating. IMO if they didn't want show dogs included in the
field, they should have stipulated pet dogs and rescues only.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I am sorry, that was very rude of the judges. Its their job description to consider all of the entries not just the ones they want to look at! (whether it was an official judge or volunteer). Obviously you care about rescue or you would not have been there! IMHO, that was uncalled for and disrespectful.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm sure they have their reasons, but I agree, it was kind of rude for them to do that. SOmeone should have pulled you aside and told you rather than let you go through that.
Milo is very handsome btw! I just want to kiss that little face of his!
~C~

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I can understand your frustration, assuming a well groomed maltese in full coat is a show dog. Whose to say that a well groomed malt in coat can't be a rescue? I happen to have 2 rescue malts and one is in full coat because he happens to have a beautiful coat that's easy to maintain and i love the long show coat. Sometimes rescues are from reputable breeders that sometimes end up in the wrong hands, that's what happened to Riley.

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
I agree, that was rude. I live in "hound dog" country & know better than to enter my 2 fluffs in most contests here. The cute little toy breeds always get passed over with barely a glance,like they're not even a real dog.lol The judges are not real judges,just locals who usually have Labs, Beagles & Retrievers at home.

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can understand your frustration, assuming a well groomed maltese in full coat is a show dog. Whose to say that a well groomed malt in coat can't be a rescue? I happen to have 2 rescue malts and one is in full coat because he happens to have a beautiful coat that's easy to maintain and i love the long show coat. Sometimes rescues are from reputable breeders that sometimes end up in the wrong hands, that's what happened to Riley.
That was what annoyed me most - not that Milo didn't win anything but that he could have easily not been a show dog. I have seen malts here(including yours) that have longer coats than his and they are not show dogs - they would have been ignored aswell.

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure they have their reasons, but I agree, it was kind of rude for them to do that. SOmeone should have pulled you aside and told you rather than let you go through that.
Milo is very handsome btw! I just want to kiss that little face of his!
~C~
oh I understand their reasons and respect them - they said that they want to give the prizes to dogs that usually wouldn't get anything where as a show dog gets prizes a lot, which is fair but they didn't know he was a show dog - they assumed.

and thank you for your complements about Milo :)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
For sure it was rude and the rules should have been clearly stated to those entering...

but on the other hand,

What an AWESOME COMPLIMENT!!!!! He just shines and stands out as a winning show dog - while frustrating in the moment, truly you should pat yourself *and him* on the back - you have a Show Dog and it shows!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
:( argh, how frustrating! I'm sorry they treated you and Milo that way :grouphug:, so rude and ignorant on their part.

·
Premium Member
4,130 Posts
that is very frustrating, they should have shown enough respect for Milo as they did the rest!

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
It was admirable of you to go and participate because you care. . . I applaude you for this and yes, he is a beautiful guy! You can be proud of him regardless of the way you were treated---none of us like to be overlooked whatever the reasons! Discrimination is an ugly word!

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
For sure it was rude and the rules should have been clearly stated to those entering...

but on the other hand,

What an AWESOME COMPLIMENT!!!!! He just shines and stands out as a winning show dog - while frustrating in the moment, truly you should pat yourself *and him* on the back - you have a Show Dog and it shows!!!!!! :)
Yes, this is what I wanted to say, too!!! So no matter what ... Milo is a big time WINNER to us!! He is gorgeous!! :wub::wub:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
They shouldn't have assumed anything. I did a fun show with Rylie last summer...you can see the photo I took of him on that day in my siggie. He's in full coat and I had him groomed, brushed, and topknot done like a show yorkie...I had a few people ask if I actually showed him. But he's a 5 year old neutered PET yorkie...he was just very well groomed. Rylie actually got Best In Match though that day...but I would have probably been a little upset if I thought they ignored us just because he was purebred and well-groomed.

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone.

There was another fun show on today for the same charity, same judges and all.
My friend went with her group and Best puppy in show winning samoyed who has 2 titles and won a lot more than Milo at proper shows - and he won loads today - happy for my friend but he was a show dog - I don't get :(

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I would have asked the judges at the end of the event... something seems weird if they looked at the show samoyeds

???

Do you have an address where you could write a letter, since both events are passed... ?

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would have asked the judges at the end of the event... something seems weird if they looked at the show samoyeds

???

Do you have an address where you could write a letter, since both events are passed... ?
I wasn't at the show today but was told last week that show dogs will never place in their shows because they want to choose dogs that don't usually win.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts