Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
This is referred to as "Black Points" and are found on the nose, eyeliner, lips and pads of their feet. Some have full black color, some will darken as the pup matures and some never do. This doesn't mean anything is wrong with you pup, just that it is not a "show" quality dog.
Tiki had alot of pink on his pads. At a year old he still has some, but alot of it turned black. I have also read that malts that are kept inside all the time may have their nose turn pink do to lack of sunshine.

Judi

G

·
0 Posts
my pup has blackish-pinkish pads... I noticed that when I'd take her out for walks the pink parts started turning black so I stopped walking her- I think she looks adorable with the pink/black pads...the tip of her nose also has a light section & one of her eyes doesn't have "eye liner"- the vet said it's just lack of pigmentation :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
When your pup has lack of pigmentation, it is usually a sign they need to get out into the sunlight. A very common problem in the winter time.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Just some FYI on pigmentation:

Some maltese dogs have less natural pigmentation. This is often called "winter nose." Since skin's response to sunlight is to produce more pigment, Maltese dogs with "winter nose" will typically regain some pigmentation in the summertime when they get more exposure to the sun.

Unless you are showing your dog the lack of pigmentation is not a problem. I take Tiki outside for a walk 2-3 times a day, he seems to be getting plenty of sun. His nose and eyes are very dark. Just because you keep your dog out of the sun does not guarantee that the nose and pads will stay pink, this is also genetic.

Judi

G

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure if it's genetic or not.. but from the moment we got her she was a little pink... and since one eye doesn't have a black circle around it I'm thinking that it's just her & doesn't have anything to do with the sun

·
Registered
939 Posts
She sounds cute! You need to post a picture so we can all check her out... I am sure she is adorable.

I didn't mean to imply that the lack of pigmentation is a problem
; to me it makes no difference. Malts are just wonderful little companions whether they are considered within the standard or not. Tiki sure isn't perfect as far as the standard goes, but he is sure perfect in my eyes!

Judi

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by Colette'sMom@Nov 30 2003, 10:58 AM
She hates for me to look at them. Maybe she's embarrassed.

Gail
Sampson doesnt like his fee touched very much, cant figure out why, his is mostly black with just a little pink

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tikismom

So what your saying is to beable to show your maltese it must have all it's black points with no pink at all is this right ?

cris

·
Registered
939 Posts
Cris,

This is a link with more information regarding AKC standards for showing a Maltese.

AKC Breed Standard Information

I do not own a show dog, Tiki is a pet (actualy a member of our family :>) quality maltese. I just enjoy doing research; it's a hobby and since I love maltes so much I have aquired quite a bit of knowledge about them ..... just like to share!

Judi

·
Registered
27 Posts
Buhsi has Black Points

He hates for me to cut his nails.... I had to a muzzle today, and he still gave me a hard time.... Not to mention my husband has to hold him while i cut his nails.......

I would love to sit in while he gets Groomed, that i would have to see.

Remember Maltese Rules :ph34r:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bellas pads are very black. I had never actually knowne if they were meant to be before now or not

Today was the first time i had ever cut her little nails
(the vet had always done them before which Bella hated)
Everytime i would leave, the vet, the vets nurse and myself would be covered in the most awful scratches. Bella would start to whine and cry before the vet even had the first one cut!

Today she sat so nicely, she didnt move once and didnt make any sounds. I was really amazed :eek: As i had expected her to put up a huge fight like she does with the vet. Bushi's Mom..I know the vet said something about a relax spray that she was going to try the next time for bella, im not 100% sure what it is but i might be worth trying to find out. I know what a hassle it is when they dont like getting their nails done

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by Bellas Mummy@Feb 21 2004, 07:28 AM
Bellas pads are very black. I had never actually knowne if they were meant to be before now or not

Today was the first time i had ever cut her little nails
(the vet had always done them before which Bella hated)
Everytime i would leave, the vet, the vets nurse and myself would be covered in the most awful scratches. Bella would start to whine and cry before the vet even had the first one cut!

Today she sat so nicely, she didnt move once and didnt make any sounds. I was really amazed :eek: As i had expected her to put up a huge fight like she does with the vet. Bushi's Mom..I know the vet said something about a relax spray that she was going to try the next time for bella, im not 100% sure what it is but i might be worth trying to find out. I know what a hassle it is when they dont like getting their nails done
Please let me know when you find out.... I'll ask around in the meantime....

Chow 4 Now

G

·
0 Posts
wow... sounds like a huge problem with the vet. Maybe she has been hurt before. My pup doesn't mind my cutting her nails.. she just sits there & might try to pull away her paw a few times but that's about it.

Oh... about the pads being dark... those of you with pups that have pink paws- do you walk them outside??? My baby had pink paws when I got her & I walked her outside a couple times.. each time she'd come back with her paws having blisters & such... the same area she got the blisters are the areas that are black now. So I'm guessing that walking them outside will turn their paws black.. just my guess though

·
Registered
994 Posts
Maxi has all of his black points since i got him when he was 10 weeks
i did notice on one of his paws 1 pink patch but it has now turned all black
He is basically white he does have some lemon on his ears which appears to be fading back to white.............Personally i don't care if he had all the black points or not , he is my baby forever and i got him to adore and love not to show

1 - 20 of 26 Posts