Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Our youngest Gucci just took about a 3feet fall off a counter onto hard tile. She wipped around when she fell and I heard her hit pretty hard against the tile.

She seemed to not have any sensitive area when I picked her up and felt around her head, but she keeps shaking her head and scratching at one ear???

What do you guys think, at what point do me make a trip to the ER?

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I cannot give advise from the medical standpoint,but personally I would already be on my way to the E.R. or have a call in to my Vet. Hope she's ok.Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would call the vet, if not over the weekend, then first thing Monday. I have no experience but from what I've read, there might be issues down the road. Please keep us informed and give us the good news asap because we will probably all go through something like this sooner or later. Big hugs to you.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Awww. The poor thing! I don't have any advice...I would be worried though if you know she hit her head...a call to the vet wouldn't hurt-maybe for some advice of what to look for. Good luck and keep us posted!
Sending kisses and hugs her way!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I would definitely call the ER vet and go there if they say to. On the other forum (MO), there was an awful stories about a fall but I am not sure of timing and type of fall.

However, I tend to overpanic and we definitely make too many trips to the vet.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys,

We just got home. Thank you for all the support and advice.

When I posted we had already called the Vet, they told us not to bring her in but keep a close eye on her.

I was still a little worried so I wanted some second opinions from other maltese people, so I posted before we left to come home.

Now that we're home she seems like she is doing ok, not shaking her head anymore.

They told us to keep her awake for the next couple hours and watch for any rapid eye momement or stumbling.

She's right here with us so we will take her if there is any indication.

I'll keep you all updated if anything changes.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Glad to hear you took her on in and that everything seems to be ok for now! Hope it stays that way!!!!!

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry..

my posts were confusing.... I was kinda frazzeled.

We did not go to the vet. We were at work.. they come to our store with us 4 days a week.

She hit her head at our store. We called the Vet and they said to watch her..

So I was worried and posted from work before I left and drove home...

We just gave her some chicken, she's resting but seems to be ok..

We will keep our eyes on her.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Now that I read your last post...I see where I misunderstood.
Sorry! I thought you meant you just got back from the vet, you meant you just got back from work! So sorry!
Anyway, still glad to see she is doing ok.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
glad shes doing ok...parker did this, but it wasn't 3 ft. it was from him being excited when we got hom and he was hopping around and slipped on the tile and i heard a crack when his head hit. but he wimpered a few seconds, then he was fine. with him, i knew if he was really hurt he wouldnt have stopped crying. he is a big baby, so i knew if he wasnt crying, he was ok.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Falls worry me too... Catcher is so squirmy, especially if I'm holding him and getting ready to put him in his play pen or take him off the grooming counter. One time he squirmed out of my arms and fell about two feet and sort of flipped over but thank goodness, he was OK. I now hold him very carefully and I'm trying to get him to learn the "settle" command but I am not very consistent in doing that.

When I had my house built I knew that my laundry room would be the "Malt Room" and had vinyl put on the floor instead of tile that I would have normally chosen, for that very reason... I just didn't feel comfortable having tile in that room. That's where Catcher fell so I'm glad there was vinyl on the floor instead of tile.

I sure hope Gucci is OK... I can imagine the horror of seeing her fall....

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I hope Gucci is feeling better! XOXO's for her!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by GlamourDog@Mar 12 2005, 09:22 PM
Hey all, 

Our youngest Gucci just took about a 3feet fall off a counter onto hard tile.  She wipped around when she fell and I heard her hit pretty hard against the tile.

She seemed to not have any sensitive area when I picked her up and felt around her head,  but she keeps shaking her head and scratching at one ear???

What do you guys think, at what point do me make a trip to the ER?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42727
[/QUOTE]
I haven't read through all the posts yet, but I think you would want to look for signs of trouble like any changes in behavior, vomiting, nose bleeds, dialated pupils (although that may be hard to tell). I would also suggest that you take her to the vet today to make sure everything is ok.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts