Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hubby and I have been talking about adding an addition to our family, a furry addition to our family. We believe Hunter to be 8 years old but we are not certain. We have been trying to determine when would be the right time to bring another home or if we should even do so when Hunter is here (for various reasons).

I am in the camp of not bringing one in right now but then I get concerned because I am of child bearing age and even though we are not 'trying' to have a child I worry that if we do pursue that in the future we will have shut the door to a second maltese due to the policy many rescues have about not placing a maltese with a family with a child under 10.

Do you think they would reconsider if there was already a Malt in the home? If the owners were former maltese owners? This has been weighing so heavily on my mind lately that I had to ask my friends their opinion.

Also, please don't think I would just run out and add another to my family to ensure that I wasn't "blocked out" because I would NEVER do that! Everything in my home is done with Hunter's best interest in mind (and I am not kidding - my veggies and meat are often purchased in this manner since we (Hunter and I) often share foods)!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Oh Erin, my heart leaped with joy at your post :). I am sure the rescue folks can answer your questions for sure. But I always try to live by the idea, follow your heart today and things will fall into place tommorow :). Meaning, if in your heart, you would love to have another furbaby now, I'd say go for it. I know it doesn't answer your questions, but will be happy for you either way :).

And oh my gosh, nooooo nobody would ever think you would rush out now, so don't you worry.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
My wonderful first vet up in New York had great advice about all things pet related. He told me if you were thinking about adding a second one, to do it before your dog reached six years old. After that, he said, it wasn't fair to ask him to adjust to another dog in the house.

Of course, Hunter's situation is a little different since he hasn't been with you his whole life. He adjusted to being rehomed just fine. He might do just fine.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i think if u want a new addition u should for it , hunter might even enjoy and benefit from having another companion , i think u have enough love to give.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I agree with the others follow your heart. I'm not too familiar with the process but do they let you introduce Hunter to the new pup before you take him home to see if they will get along? Either way, I think you're a wonderful mom and any pup would be lucky to have you in their life :)

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I say follow your heart too. I know a little fluff would be really really fortunate to be loved by you. :tender:

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Erin, I think you, your husband and Hunter would LOVE having a second malt in the house.

Have you considered getting a malt through a rescue group instead of a shelter? I would think a rescue group would have the dogs in foster care and the foster family and/or rescue group would have a better idea of the dogs personality and insecurities (if any). This might be helpful in trying to find the right match for Hunter. Just a thought.

And I wouldn't wait till you have a child. I'm afraid they wouldn't let you have a dog even though you already have one......errrrr....I wouldn't want to take that chance anyway.

Archie says to tell you to "get a pretty little girl" for his bud Hunter. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Erin, I think you, your husband and Hunter would LOVE having a second malt in the house.

Have you considered getting a malt through a rescue group instead of a shelter? I would think a rescue group would have the dogs in foster care and the foster family and/or rescue group would have a better idea of the dogs personality and insecurities (if any). This might be helpful in trying to find the right match for Hunter. Just a thought.

And I wouldn't wait till you have a child. I'm afraid they wouldn't let you have a dog even though you already have one......errrrr....I wouldn't want to take that chance anyway.

Archie says to tell you to "get a pretty little girl" for his bud Hunter. :thumbsup:

Love this idea :aktion033::aktion033::aktion033:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Yup, lead with your heart in concert with your head. You are 100% supported here, or isn't that obvious yet? :)

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh Erin, my heart leaped with joy at your post :). I am sure the rescue folks can answer your questions for sure. But I always try to live by the idea, follow your heart today and things will fall into place tommorow :). Meaning, if in your heart, you would love to have another furbaby now, I'd say go for it. I know it doesn't answer your questions, but will be happy for you either way :).

And oh my gosh, nooooo nobody would ever think you would rush out now, so don't you worry.
Christine - it is so nice to have you back here! I had greatly missed your kind messages! Thank you for the advice about following my heart, I am trying very hard to do so but, of course, my heart belongs to Hunter and it is considering his best interest first!

My wonderful first vet up in New York had great advice about all things pet related. He told me if you were thinking about adding a second one, to do it before your dog reached six years old. After that, he said, it wasn't fair to ask him to adjust to another dog in the house.

Of course, Hunter's situation is a little different since he hasn't been with you his whole life. He adjusted to being rehomed just fine. He might do just fine.
I did not have this information Marj - thanks! I do wonder if Hunter would be different as he has only now been with us for 2.5 years. So if the 6 year theory is right - we have a little ways before we reach that point. However, given he is 8 then maybe we should average it out and consider that we have one year left? I dunno:blink:

i think if u want a new addition u should for it , hunter might even enjoy and benefit from having another companion , i think u have enough love to give.
Thank you for such a lovely compliment.:blush:

I agree with the others follow your heart. I'm not too familiar with the process but do they let you introduce Hunter to the new pup before you take him home to see if they will get along? Either way, I think you're a wonderful mom and any pup would be lucky to have you in their life :)
The rescues that we have been looking at are quite a distance from us so I am not sure if having them meet first is feasible - I'm not necessarily worried about him getting along with another dog, that will be something we have to work on - it would be more making sure the dog was the right fit for our lifestyle and Hunter's role in it.

I say follow your heart too. I know a little fluff would be really really fortunate to be loved by you. :tender:
aww....thank you!:blush:

Pat, you hit the nail on the head! I am hoping some rescue people might chime in here. I would need to find the right fit for our home and with rescue's that seems like it would be a risk unless they were in a foster home! Hunter says to tell Archie that we have looked at both "dudes" and "pretty little girls" because its not fair to discriminate!

Yup, lead with your heart in concert with your head. You are 100% supported here, or isn't that obvious yet? :)
I know I am sooooo supported here! That's why I LOVE SM!!!!:chili::chili:

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I think the six year deadline from my vet was based more upon age, that senior dogs get more set in their ways. I meant that since Hunter was rehomed and adapted so well, he may adapt just fine to another dog in his house.

Does he enjoy the company of other dogs? Lady really doesn't. She's not afraid of other dogs (as long as they don't coming drooling and lunging at her). She just seems oblivious to the fact she is a dog. She basically ignores other dogs.

Between that and the fact that she came with health issues that I knew were bound to cost me lots of $$$ as she aged, I never got another one. I have never regretted it. I love the one on one with Lady and the fact that's it's so easy to take just one with you anywhere.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I don't have any advice as far as when to introduce a second malt when rescue is involved and with your scenario, Hunter being 6 but not with you for 6 years. How is Hunter with other dogs? Is he friendly when other dogs are near you or does he get protective? I would say that if deep in your heart you think he will adjust then I say go for it. Honestly, the best thing I ever did was get Emma. B&E have such a deep love for each other. They really are so close.

You and I are in the same boat (we have discussed many times before) where we dont' know when to start a family with kids. Well when that time does comes for us both at least our little fluffs will have each other. That to me will make a world of difference. As much as I say that B&E will still get a ton of attention it would be hard with a baby, and I'll do the best I can, but at least I know they will have their little bond and that won't be affected.

Adding a second malt can be super stressful. Will they get along? Is it a mistake? etc etc. But if it works out in the end and the stars align an AMAZING bond can be formed. To see it happen will make you feel so good. Everyday I get to watch B&E play and beat on each other with tongues hanging out of their mouths, tails wagging, barks of excitement and I can't help but think....I did a good thing. I hope and pray this can happen for your family too!

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
Erin, when the time comes you will know. I was worried how Matilda would adjust. It has taken 1 1/2 years but finally the girls sit together, beg together, and find things to get into trouble with together:HistericalSmiley: I do wish B&B would have been younger maybe 4 or 5, she doesn't play, I feel so sad for Matilda she would have loved a playmate. I think Hunter would love having a playmate

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
:thumbsup: I like this thought. I also think that a female with a personality match with Hunter will do better.

hugs
Kat

1 - 14 of 14 Posts