Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all of this week's posts about vaccines, I am a nervous wreck about bringing Boo in. :smcry: My only saving grace is he is a brute compared to everyone saying how small their little ones are. I should have called him Puff Daddy.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
What shots is he getting? I'm sure you've read this already on the forum, but just in case - it is highly recommended to separate vaccines out by at least a couple of weeks. So just get one tomorrow and then if he needs any others, go back in two or more weeks.

I got Emma her last DHPP shot a few weeks ago and was as nervous as you are! Don't worry...just keep an eye on him the rest of the day. I hung around at my vet's office for about half an hour after her shot just to make sure and then stayed close to her the rest of the day to make sure she was okay.

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
You do know to space out the vaccines, right? My breeder told me not to get Lepto, because it often causes complications. I have read about lepto and believe that with our life style there is very little risk of my kids being exposed. However, living in Florida could be a bigger risk. I suggest you read everything and make a balanced risk vs benefit judgement.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Per my vet and breeder we waited three weeks in between each vaccination except for the rabies shot. We waited a full month after Bailey's rabies vaccine to do his final combo shot.

It's good to space them out as the final vaccination should be given at 18 weeks for full immunity:

In one study of a cross section of different puppies the age at which they were able to respond to a vaccine and develop protection covered a wide period of time. At six weeks of age, 25% of the puppies could be immunized. At 9 weeks of age, 40% of the puppies were able to respond to the vaccine. The number increased to 60% by 16 weeks, and by 18 weeks of age, 95% of the puppies could be immunized.

Parvovirus: Serious Diarrhea in Puppies & Dogs

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
Sylvia, I live in Florida and my Vet wont give it to my Maltese. Unless they drank from a pond.
Yes, I just fear being too strong in my anit-lepto feelings. One really can find all the information they need to make a good judgement about their own situation just with a google search. My dogs would not drink water from a puddle, or even from a bowl offered by friendly merchants. We have zero wild life, zero standing water. Lepto is virtually no risk, certainly less risk than the vaccine. But others may have a different environment, so I never want to say flat out, don't get it.

·
Premium Member
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes he got the Lepto last week and he is due for his final parvo, distemper and Rabies. They had wanted to do it all but I did ask for the Lepto to be separated out. After reading everything, it will be the last Lepto he gets -not taking any more changes. Should I wait on the Rabies?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
If he just got shots last week, I would wait a couple more weeks before taking him in again. Yes, we absolutely recommend separating all shots, any shots...especially with Rabies, I'd want to wait a few weeks or a month after the DHPP.

Sent from my iPad using PG Free

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I would definitely wait at least 3-4 weeks for the rabies. It needs to be spaced out from the other shots.
Also, the later the rabies is given the better. Dr. Ron Shultz says to try to wait until puppies are at least 20 weeks old.
And be prepared to have to stand up to the vet for what you want!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Yes he got the Lepto last week and he is due for his final parvo, distemper and Rabies. They had wanted to do it all but I did ask for the Lepto to be separated out. After reading everything, it will be the last Lepto he gets -not taking any more changes. Should I wait on the Rabies?

Yes, rabies should always be given separately! And insist on the new thimerasol free rabies vaccine. If they don't carry it, find a vet who will.

Thimerosal In Rabies Vaccines | Dogs Naturally Magazine

How to Vaccinate Against Rabies More Safely | Truth4Dogs

When the rabies vaccine should be given depends on your state law. In Florida it is required by 20 weeks so according to your Ticker, you've got over a month to go.

RABIES LAWS IN THE UNITED STATES as of 6/16/10

You also want to do the final distemper combo around 18 weeks for full immunity so it's too soon for that, too.

Also a word of caution about the lepto vaccine. Just because Boo had no problem with it this time doesn't mean he won't in the future. The first vaccination rarely causes a reaction. It's usually the second or even the third shot that can cause the serious reaction. The body builds up antibodies from the first exposure that triggers the allergic reaction in subsequent shots.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Please wait.... listen to these wonderful ladies' caution....

We read things and think "Won't happen to my dog"

Then you are home cooking vegan dog food, unable to enroll your puppy in training classes or take them to the groomer for the rest of your dog's life because of irreparable liver damage..... or worse.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I don't do the Lepto and I have the vet space out all vaccines for my dog. Thankfully, I have a vet who feels strongly that pets in America are over-vaccinated so he is very willing to listen to any of my concerns. Like Kathleen mentioned, don't be afraid to stand up to your vet if you feel uncomfortable about something.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's my best article on vaccinating dogs. Questions to Ask | Truth4Pets I don't know what you mean by final shots? At 12 weeks? 15 or 16 weeks? Any older and you should get a parvo/distemper test instead. Titer Testing: A Crash Course | Truth4Pets And please, everyone, stay away from the leptospiroris vaccine. Even vet supply companies say how dangerous it is for toy breed dogs -- not to mention larger dogs. And never give it with viral vaccines. My personal belief is that a vet gives a toy lepto in a non-epidemic situation, and if the dog doesn't play in wetlands and woodlands, you need another vet!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.