Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I finally accepted that I have been a bad parent by not excercising Pico this summer. It's just been soo hot and humid in San Antonio! Plus, there were so many really big dogs being walked in the evening that I was afraid Pico would have just torn them to shreds.
Seriously, I just didn't want to deal with his barking and possibly provoking the Akitas and Malamutes in the area.

Then, things started to slow down and I started taking him on little 15 minute walks around the block which is 1/2 uphill and 1/2 downhill and he just loves it. But by the time we get home his beard and mustache are just dripping wet from drool! I know it's from smelling the scents of other dogs on our route and I'm hoping that he'll finally become accustomed enough to those scents that he'll stop the salivating.

But he DOES come sit at my feet and do the "it's time for our walk" mind-meld stare! And when he sees his halter come out he gets so excited and leaps right onto my lap to be fitted. When I clip his leash to it he grabs it in his mouth and leads me out the door.

So I guess he's "trained" me to do his bidding once again!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I remember one Pet Psychic show referred to dog's sniffing outside as being the same as checking mail is for humans. That's how they get their "messages" and find out what's going on in their world.

It's been brutal here in North Carolina, too. I've basically just carried Lady out under one of the big shade trees, then we run back inside and she makes a beeline to the bathroom where she lies on the tile floor next to the air vent to recouperate!

But it has been cooler this week and I notice she is much more interested in sniffing and exploring now, especially in the morning. She doesn't get as excited as Pico, though, because she's not all covered with drool!

But her feet got pretty wet from the dew this morning and they had just cut the grass yesterday, so she was covered in grass clippings. There are advantages to having inside only dogs, but I do personally think outside time is important for their minds.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I just heard somthing I never thought of before....it is hotter the lower you are to the ground..because the sun bakes the ground and the heat radiates back up...

So be careful that your little ones feet are not too hot as well as the rest of him.

It has been brutal where I am as well, so I actually tested this theory...actually my daughter gave me no choice as she locked me out of the house and Teddy and I were stuck in 100 degree weather for over 2 hours. I tried every which place to get cooler...shade...my condos alcove...the upstairs neighbors alcove...the grass...heat did radiate up in certain locations. Grass was good, but cement, blacktop, even fake carpeting in the alcove radiated the heat up.

Teddy, is like Pico always ready to go for a walk...now I am being a bit more careful about how long we go.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Paris loves her walks also. She knows that after supper is over and the kitchen is clean then it is her time. I will sit on the floor and play with her for a few minutes then she will just stop, sit, and stare a hole through me until I ask her if she is ready for her walk. When I get her harness and leash, it's like "can't you go any faster??" She actually takes me for a walk as she knows which way we go and takes off. She can't wait to see all of the neighbors and kids that are out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.