Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,589 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom+Aug 26 2005, 12:40 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Laceys mom
@Aug 24 2005, 06:35 PM
Wish everyone who was getting a dog read about the type of dog they want to get.  I see so many people complain about how there dog acts...full of energy, too big,  or something.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93804
You bring up such a good point, Lacey's Mom. People fall in love with Maltese, but say they just want to get a pet so they get one from a pet store or BYB. What they don't realize is that if the breeder isn't breeding to the breed standard, not only can you end up with Maltese thatis phsically very different than the standard, but you may not get the typical Maltese personality either. How often do we see posting on these forums from frustrated owners who have hyper or aggressive Maltese when they expected a laid back little lap dog. In each and every case I have read, the puppy came from either a BYB or pet shop. I have never heard a complaint about disposition from anyone who got their puppy from a reputable breeder.

What I've learned from my experience with Lady is that it is much cheaper in the long run to save a bit longer and get a puppy from a reputable breeder than to get a "bargain" puppy who may need expensive surgeries or have big vet bills its entire life due to a genetic illness or need expensive training to correct inbred behavior or dispostion problems.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94233
[/B][/QUOTE]
Wonderful information Marj....although here puppies from pet stores cost at least as much, and more often, a lot more than puppies from reputable breeders. I know someone who just purchased from a broker located in Middletown, NJ...she paid $3500 for her "teacup maltese" puppy that is 10 weeks old and weighs almost 4 lbs. No doubt this person's dog is beautiful, but she did not get what she expected. The unfortunate thing is that she probably won't discover that until several months. That's not to say she won't love her pup any less, but who knows what she'll end up with down the road.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Wow, Middletown...betcha it was from American Breeders...was it not?? Although the local vets around here say that they are clean, take care of their puppies, and they use good vets..... the fact is they get their puppies from puppy mills......I got Pacino from there...I am lucky because so far, knock on wood, he is healthy and he is a full breed, (not that , that part matters) but I wish I had known beforehand the potential risks. We love Pacino and he is the best, and like I said, we got lucky......but I would never get from there again......her puppy is 4 pounds and he is only 10 weeks old?? WOW...Pacino is 7 and a half months and he is a little over 4 pounds now.....Yes, they push the "teacup" bit a little too far.......sad. They tried telling me about the "teacup" thing also...I laughed.

· Registered
2,589 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom+Aug 26 2005, 12:40 PM-->QUOTE(LadysMom @ Aug 26 2005, 12:40 PM)
<div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Laceys mom@Aug 24 2005, 06:35 PM
Wish everyone who was getting a dog read about the type of dog they want to get.  I see so many people complain about how there dog acts...full of energy, too big,  or something.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93804
You bring up such a good point, Lacey's Mom. People fall in love with Maltese, but say they just want to get a pet so they get one from a pet store or BYB. What they don't realize is that if the breeder isn't breeding to the breed standard, not only can you end up with Maltese thatis phsically very different than the standard, but you may not get the typical Maltese personality either. How often do we see posting on these forums from frustrated owners who have hyper or aggressive Maltese when they expected a laid back little lap dog. In each and every case I have read, the puppy came from either a BYB or pet shop. I have never heard a complaint about disposition from anyone who got their puppy from a reputable breeder.

What I've learned from my experience with Lady is that it is much cheaper in the long run to save a bit longer and get a puppy from a reputable breeder than to get a "bargain" puppy who may need expensive surgeries or have big vet bills its entire life due to a genetic illness or need expensive training to correct inbred behavior or dispostion problems.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94233
[/B][/QUOTE]
Wonderful information Marj....although here puppies from pet stores cost at least as much, and more often, a lot more than puppies from reputable breeders. I know someone who just purchased from a broker located in Middletown, NJ...she paid $3500 for her "teacup maltese" puppy that is 10 weeks old and weighs almost 4 lbs. No doubt this person's dog is beautiful, but she did not get what she expected. The unfortunate thing is that she probably won't discover that until several months. That's not to say she won't love her pup any less, but who knows what she'll end up with down the road.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Wow, Middletown...betcha it was from American Breeders...was it not?? Although the local vets around here say that they are clean, take care of their puppies, and they use good vets..... the fact is they get their puppies from puppy mills......I got Pacino from there...I am lucky because so far, knock on wood, he is healthy and he is a full breed, (not that , that part matters) but I wish I had known beforehand the potential risks. We love Pacino and he is the best, and like I said, we got lucky......but I would never get from there again......her puppy is 4 pounds and he is only 10 weeks old?? WOW...Pacino is 7 and a half months and he is a little over 4 pounds now.....Yes, they push the "teacup" bit a little too far.......sad. They tried telling me about the "teacup" thing also...I laughed.
[/B][/QUOTE]
That's the one...and it's a real shame because there are several very wonderful breeders here in NJ.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, it is a shame...I wouldn't trade my Pacino in for a hot million as he is the best...and like I said, we are one of the lucky ones....But, I am considering a little sister for Pacino...not right this very minute but I am intrested. I am going to research the breeders here in Jersey and check them out.

Thanks

Marie & Pacino

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.