Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,891 Posts
I'm told that the puppymillers use a Westie or a Bichon to breed with a Maltese to get larger litters. This could account for some of this disposition.
I, too, have a Westie who is a pet. I dare anyone to say I'm mixing here though. She has earned her championship, and, if I decide I want more show pups, I'll breed her to the male I co-own. Otherwise, will just remain my pet. She doesn't get around my male Maltese.

· Registered
2,891 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Aug 26 2005, 01:28 PM
I think it's one thing to knowingly buy or adopt a mixed breed pet...that's a personal choice.  But if you believe you are buying a full bred dog and in reality are getting a mix, then that is fraud.  And you're right Lady's Mom...while these are wonderful breeds on their own, mixed with Malts (or any other dog du jour) they may or may not be what you expect.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94274
[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. I've had Westies in my life as pets a lot longer than I've had Maltese. There are many good points to each, but I don't see mixing them. When I want to go for a walk in the fields, my Westie (along with all the rescues) can go right along with me. They are easy to brush out after a romp like this. I would hate to see what would happen with a Maltese on some of these outings
My Maltese and my Westie get along great. Since she is a house dog also, she has adapted to their personality, and acts a lot like them.

I got "chewed out" this week by someone inquiring about a pup. Their email told me about their other two dogs. Only thing there was their small size. My response back was that I didn't think I would have a dog that would be right for them, as I was concerned they were more interested in size than anything else. They accused me of trying to play God, deciding who should get the pup. Well, it sure won't be going there. Besides, I breed to standard, and I'm sure mine would be too big for them. We all know that dogs become disposable to people when they don't meet their standard, and I would never put one of mine in a position to go to a shelter because it's adult size is five or six pounds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.