Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in finding Puddles a new groomer. The one I am using now is PetSmart (a hour away from me) and she does a good job. Well I thought she was until my vet said his ears needed more hairs removed and his toe nails were to long. That was only a week after he was groomed.....grrrrrr

The one thing I like about using a groomer where there are several employees, is that your pet is less likely be mistreated (well I hope anyway).

We have a new groomer in town that does it her self. Only her husband helps her and I am concern that Puddles could be treated harsh and no one would never know. They always takes glamour shots each time you have them groomed, for sell I am sure.

Do any of you have personal groomers? How do you know what's going on while your babies are in their care? If I go meet them, what should I look for?

Also, while on vacation I met a couple that had a Shitzu injured while being groomed. He had been restrained to tight by the collar. He has trouble eating his food and is given steroids now to help keep the area open. He also can no longer bark. I swear, if this had happen to Puddles .... some one would get hurt !!

Thanks for your suggestions !

V

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Puddles Mom@Nov 5 2004, 10:11 PM
I am interested in finding Puddles a new groomer. The one I am using now is PetSmart (a hour away from me) and she does a good job. Well I thought she was until my vet said his ears needed more hairs removed and his toe nails were to long.  That was only a week after he was groomed.....grrrrrr

The one thing I like about using a groomer where there are several employees, is that your pet is less likely be mistreated (well I hope anyway).

We have a new groomer in town that does it her self. Only her husband helps her and I am concern that Puddles could be treated harsh and no one would never know. They always takes glamour shots each time you have them groomed, for sell I am sure.

Do any of you have personal groomers? How do you know what's going on while your babies are in their care? If I go meet them, what should I look for?

Also, while on vacation I met a couple that had a Shitzu injured while being groomed. He had been restrained to tight by the collar. He has trouble eating his food and is given steroids now to help keep the area open. He also can no longer bark.  I swear, if this had happen to Puddles .... some one would get hurt !!   

Thanks for your suggestions !
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15117

Finding a good groomer is really hard work. Boris will be 6 soon and when he was about 16 weeks old I started him with this groomer. She was some peice of work! The dog loved her but her people skills were terrible! People find it hard to get a groomer who would let you stay while the dog was being groomed. Well I had the opposite problem...as time passed this woman WANTED  me to stay and all through the grooming I heard stories about how high her rent was, how the family was screwing her out  of money on the property she owned back home and on and on. I remember one summer hair cut for my 2 guys that took 3 hours and I was there for the whole session hearing her chatter away! The dogs looked great..they both adored her..but I was a nervous wreck after  it was over. The groomer moved back home. I started to use a groomer associated with my vet. She does very little..I bring them in all washed and she trims nails, faces, butts. I trust her completely. She looks at their vet records each time, though she knows the guys well to see if there is an update. She is friendly to me, the dogs love her and I tip her well. Once a year they get a haircut at a Salon..the guy does many show dogs..knows his stuff. The name of the shop is something like Posh Fancy Pets..traslated to..I will give you the best haircut for your dog and charge you a fortune. The back area where grooming is done can be seen cause of the glass but I don't wait. I let him bath them and do his magic. They look gorgeous and the hair comes back to growth even and heallthy. I leave him a lot of money. 6 weeks later I go back to the groomer at the vet..I lie...say I cut them...she must know I am fibbing and she does her little but reliable work on them.  The dogs smile, I smile at the groomer., she smiles at me.....I leave her "alittle" money.

Anyway..I bet the responses to this will be all over the place. People have good and bad experiences with groomers and every place in between. The scarey part is the occasional tragedy story you hear and those stories encourage to learn how to groom their own dogs and not use groomers at all.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm not too sure about how to go about choosing the right groomer. I would definitely say to keep with a place that has several employees, but then again you can't be too sure. I would also go check out different places and meet the grromers. Maybe see if you can watch while they do it the first couple times.
Luckily for me and Coconut, one of my childhood friends works at a grooming place called Happy Tails and i know she's very good at what she does.
Gee, i guess i've been doing pretty good in the "finding people" department! Our breeder is a friend, and i didn't realize, but she takes all of her dogs to my groomer friend and suggested her. It really is a small world!
But, yeah, sorry i can't be more helpful. I know with our Samoyed that passed away, our neighbor was a groomer and she would come to our house and do little maintenience things for free, like clipping nails, ear hair trim, and all that fun stuff and give her a pretty bow for her collar!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I was sick of worrying about a groomer and Kodie being sick afterwards... I just groom him myself.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
If you're that worried that they'll hurt them then watch them groom your baby. With me, if they don't say that my baby is cute or if they don't cuddle with them, then I'd get worried.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts