Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experiences to share on the pros and cons of a more "fine-boned" maltese and one that has a thicker or sturdier frame? Please let me know as soon as you can! I have a choice and need to make a decision quickly! I don't have any children so that's not a factor but I would like to know what the differences are. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
well, it seems like ellie is sturdier. and i like the sturdy dogs more because you dont think that they'll get hurt, you know? and you can wrestle with them and hug them. and with a more fragile dog..you cant really throw them on their back and give raspberries and kisses on their stomach. well....you can---but you dont think something will break. LOL.

OK>..im just talking to my sis...and she thinks that both of our dogs used to feel fine-boned but that they've gained weight and feel thicker boned. i dont know....but if you had a choice---you should pick the thicker boned cuz they seem healthier, you know?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's what what we were thinking. i also heard that smaller or more fine boned dogs are more proned to tear staining as well, have you heard that?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by gizzysmommy@Apr 7 2005, 12:21 AM
that's what what we were thinking. i also heard that smaller or more fine boned dogs are more proned to tear staining as well, have you heard that?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49991
[/QUOTE]
Thats not true.. Kodie is fine boned and has NEVER had any staining at all.

I do agree that a fine bone dog is very fragile. I worry about kodie constantly. Hes sooo tiny I'm very nervous with him around other dogs. He never gains weight (his liver prob could be a factor). I baby Kodie soooooo much more than a bigger boned dog because he seems (and is) soooo breakable. Well.. his grandmother was paralyzed by a little kid petting too hard on his back and broke her back. I'm just saying that you really have to watch you baby when they are so tiny. I dont let kodie jump on couches and stuff (not like he can even reach because hes so small) because his knees are so tiny i'm scared of him hurting himself. I think that applies to bigger boned maltese too though. I do hug Kodie but i'm a petite person soo i'm not rough with him at all. My dad is bigger than me (of course) and he doesnt know his own strength soo sometimes he can be rough with kodie. His hands are stronger, ya know. My point... I worry A LOT! I dont know how big your smaller boned dog is... you didnt specify weight. Kodie is 3.2lbs and tiny boned. Just keep in mind your life style.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by gizzysmommy@Apr 7 2005, 01:21 AM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49991
[/QUOTE]

That maybe just a saying but I don't belive it to be true.
My first maltese was fine boned and had no tear staining at all.

·
Registered
608 Posts
From what I have been told Tunder is a "larger malt" and he weighs a whopping 4 1/2 pounds. He isn't fragile but he is what I would call middle ground. I think he is perfect. I would be nuerotic with a teeny tiny one... scared to break em.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina@Apr 7 2005, 09:03 AM
From what I have been told Tunder is a "larger malt" and he weighs a whopping 4 1/2 pounds.  He isn't fragile but he is what I would call middle ground.  I think he is perfect.  I would be nuerotic with a teeny tiny one... scared to break em.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50064
[/QUOTE]
How old is Tunder?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Apr 7 2005, 09:08 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-dhodina
@Apr 7 2005, 09:03 AM
From what I have been told Tunder is a "larger malt" and he weighs a whopping 4 1/2 pounds.  He isn't fragile but he is what I would call middle ground.  I think he is perfect.  I would be nuerotic with a teeny tiny one... scared to break em.
How old is Tunder?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50066
[/B][/QUOTE]

He is going to be 5 on 5/24.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina+Apr 7 2005, 09:23 AM-->
Originally posted by Lexi's [email protected] 7 2005, 09:08 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-dhodina
@Apr 7 2005, 09:03 AM

How old is Tunder?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50066

[/QUOTE]

He is going to be 5 on 5/24.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50078
[/B][/QUOTE]

Just to let you know a maltese that is full grown and is only 4.5lbs is actually considered small. The standard under 7 pounds with 4-6 preferred.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I don't think Tunder qualifies as a Larger Malt.
At 4.5 lbs he is at the lower end of the standard, which is 4-7 lbs.

Pico is 4 years old and also is 4.5 pounds.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I guess breed standard and what the public wants are two different things. During my search I specifically wanted a dog that was closer to 5 pounds. Alot of breeders were very proud of the fact that their dogs were all in the 3-4 pound range. I wonder how much the media and celebs having their teeny tiny 2 pound dogs are driving the public and backyard breeders to have the smallest dog possible. That one kennel Divapup, they brag about Lindsay Lohan having one of theirs. I guess marketing is marketing.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Well, Tic tac hasn't come home yet, but I noticed when I visited the breeder's house that her dogs had bigger bones than Peanut. Peanut is sturdy but when it comes down to it I worry sooo much about him playing rough because his bones are soooooooo fine. Tictac's father seemed like a whole different breed to me because he was just so 'thick' compared to Peanut. I wouldn't trade Peanut for the world, but if I had a choice I wish he wasn't so delicate.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina@Apr 7 2005, 09:44 AM
I guess breed standard and what the public wants are two different things.  During my search I specifically wanted a dog that was closer to 5 pounds.  Alot of breeders were very proud of the fact that their dogs were all in the 3-4 pound range.  I wonder how much the media and celebs having their teeny tiny 2 pound dogs are driving the public and backyard breeders to have the smallest dog possible.    That one kennel Divapup, they brag about Lindsay Lohan having one of theirs.  I guess marketing is marketing.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50099
[/QUOTE]

This is from the American Maltese Association website:

There is no such thing as a "teacup" or "pocket" Maltese. The Maltese is a TOY breed. Our Standard calls for the Maltese to be "under 7 lbs. with 4-6 lbs. preferred". Some Maltese do mature at under 4 lbs. while others mature at over 7 lbs.

·
Registered
608 Posts
There is no such thing as a "teacup" or "pocket" Maltese. The Maltese is a TOY breed. Our Standard calls for the Maltese to be "under 7 lbs. with 4-6 lbs. preferred". Some Maltese do mature at under 4 lbs. while others mature at over 7 lbs.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50147
[/quote

That kills me.... During my search on so many different web sites they had their puppies classified by toy, tiny toy blah, blah, blah. I guess those are the ones in it to make money and they will say whatever to make their money.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
A 4 lb. Maltese is a small Maltese, anything smaller could have lots of problems besides breaking bones. I don't show so can have and prefer, by far, both the looks and health of at least 6 lbs., but even to 10 full grown. That's my individual taste talking---but there are so many other reasons for it! It would be nice to have some sort of data base of all registered Malts with catorgories including size that kept track of how old they were when they died, what they died from and what they suffered from during their lives. It would be great data!

A good healthy Maltese should have not heavy bone, but sturdy enough for it's body size. I feel like if people want a rat sized pet to carry in a pocket, they should get a gerbil or something intended to be that size, not a dog.

I don't mean to sound critical of any of you that have small dogs! That's the last thing I'd do. I am expressing my own preference and I guess being a little critical of some breeders who are tending toward breeding smaller and smaller dogs. I don't think with the better breeders who have the welfare of the breed at the center of their program that is a problem. O.K.! Off my soapbox now!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Maxi is sturdy and strong boned he runs between 9- 10lbs depending on his appetite
he is long but he is a pedigree he has all his black points and he has the babydoll face
when you pick him up sometimes he feels like lead weight lol i like him like this because i feel like he isnt so delicate

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sisse is a very healthy 6.4 lbs and I am so glad she is!! She is rough and tumble and we are careful with her, but don't worry so much about breaking her!! Her bone structure is "medium" according to our Vet, and she said she is the perfect size for her frame.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts