Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I'm very happy to know that there's a place where I can share my experiences with people that care about malteses as much as I do!
Lira is my second puppy and I got a maltese because I'm allergic to dogs that shed, the reason why we had to re-home the amazing Labrador we had. Lira is adorable and very healthy, but she started shedding a few weeks ago so I took her to the vet and he told me she is fine and that she will shed twice a year, but not like a Labrador for instance. She doesn't give me allergies so I don't understand what's going on. I bought her from a maltese breeder, but I don't know if I can trust him.
I've read the AKC guidelines and she has two faults: her pads are spotted just like her belly and she is almost 2kg at 3 months old, but I assumed that was my dad's fault since he likes feeding her.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Toy dog

Dog Carnivore Plant Dog breed Companion dog

Nose Dog Dog breed Carnivore Ear

Also her hair doesn't look full like the other malteses I see on the internet.
Anyway, I love my puppy, but I paid the full price for a purebred dog and I'd like to talk with the breeder if that's not the case because that's plain irresponsibility. If she was mixed and gave me allergies I would have to give her away and I can't stand the idea of someone else going through this.
Do you think she's mixed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She should not shed, ever. Consider a DNA test.
Thank you, I'll do it. I'm actually very disappointed now because the breeder told me she was 8 weeks old when I got her, but he confessed this week that she was actually only 34 days old and that's why she was so small. My heart is broken, she didn't even got to be properly breastfeed by her mom.
The cherry on top is that now the breeder doesn't pick up my phone calls.

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
I'm sorry you're going through this. Unfortunately, you've learned the hard way that you weren't dealing with someone on the up and up. While larger breeds can leave the litter at 8 weeks, the breeder's code of ethics from the American Maltese Association requires that Maltese (as well as other toy breeds) remain with the litter for at least 12 weeks for best nutrition, socialization and growth. That's why some of us here are quick to question any time someone takes a pup home before that.

Your pup is cute, and hopefully will grow to be a healthy happy dog, regardless of the breed make-up.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,980 Posts
A puppy (even maltese) does shed the first puppy coat---often causing matting but then the adult coat comes in & no more shedding. I would do the DNA test but the pup looks absolutely adorable & very maltese looking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts