Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Marge's advise I am starting a new thread. I think it is really important that we have everything we might need in an emergency. Please, please feel free to add your suggestions.
1. Hydrogen peroxide
2. Alcohol
3. Eye wash
4. tweezers
5. Cotton swabs and cotton pads
6. Syringes of different sizes, for water or meds.

Please join us and add what you consider necessary.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
I do have all of those items. Do you think a thermometer is good to add. I have one for Zoe and one for humans available. I think everyone should have available for themselves an emergency ER/hospital and poison control phone numbers. Great idea to start this thread!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
This is my basic list:

Triple antibiotic ointment
Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrocortisone cream
Alcohol swabs
Benadryl
Pepto Bismal
Kaopectate
Baby Aspirin
Self-adhering bandages
Gauze pads
Eye wash
Baby syringe (no needle) marked w/m’s or cc’s for medication administration
Cold Pack
Styptic powder to stop bleeding
Cotton swabs/cotton balls
Thermometer (normal rectal temperature is between 101.0 to 102.5 degrees)
Copy of vaccination record (in plastic sheet)
Pedialite to replace fluids

I keep everything in a three drawer cart.

If your Maltese has any medical problems, I also recommend getting a medical alert tag for her collar or harness. Lady's said "diabetic and epileptic" and had the name and telephone number on my vet.

I also always keep a can of pumpkin on hand and also a jar of Gerber chicken sticks.

This is a good website to bookmark for dosages if you do need to give OTC medications when your vet isn't available.

http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm

·
Premium Member
5,003 Posts
On Marge's advise I am starting a new thread. I think it is really important that we have everything we might need in an emergency. Please, please feel free to add your suggestions.
1. Hydrogen peroxide
2. Alcohol
3. Eye wash
4. tweezers
5. Cotton swabs and cotton pads
6. Syringes of different sizes, for water or meds.

Please join us and add what you consider necessary.[/QUOTE

This is a great idea!!

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have all of those items. Do you think a thermometer is good to add. I have one for Zoe and one for humans available. I think everyone should have available for themselves an emergency ER/hospital and poison control phone numbers. Great idea to start this thread!
Absolutely. Marge has that as part of the kt.
thermometer added.

·
Premium Member
24,006 Posts
Marj - your are super doggie mom, extraordinaire!!:chili::chili: I think I have everything but the thermometer for Tyler. We just have the one that goes in our human ears.:HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
17,350 Posts
I have everything Marj listed except the HP as our's here is a different strength. I will have DH pick one up in the US shortly.
I also have cortisone---Lisi is very allergic & if she gets a bee sting or tries to eat one (more likely) then I have to have it on-hand.
I also suggest a special tweezer to remove ticks & small plastic bags to seal the tick in in the event the bite causes symptoms. I label the bags ahead of time w/pups names so they are ready to go. Then I put the date on the plastic bag---to help vet decide when to start antibiotics.
I have a small instrument w/light to look into the ears (esp. good if you have foxtails where you live).

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Marj - your are super doggie mom, extraordinaire!!:chili::chili: I think I have everything but the thermometer for Tyler. We just have the one that goes in our human ears.:HistericalSmiley:
You definitely want to have a separate thermometer for Tyler since you have to take his temperature rectally!

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Wow guys! You guys really rocks and are really prepared! Thanks for starting this great thread. Once again I've learned new things today. I told Ann to read this and ensure we have our kit ready as well.

Just so I don't feel left out...uh could I suggest also having one of them packages of surgical lub or vaseline? It's useful to lub the thermometer to make it less irritated for our precious furballs.

Also maybe having a easy to use timer, or easy timer apps for your smart phone so you can monitor duration of activities that could be imporant to track to provide feedback to your Vet.

Again, great post!

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Oh my goodness, thank you. Here I thought I had everything ready to bring Boo home and after reading this, I realize I didn't. I knew about some of these, but didn't realize some of the other human over the counters could be used. Good to know. thank you thank you thank you

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Oh my goodness, thank you. Here I thought I had everything ready to bring Boo home and after reading this, I realize I didn't. I knew about some of these, but didn't realize some of the other human over the counters could be used. Good to know. thank you thank you thank you

Hi Mags

OMG Boo is sooooo adorable! Welcome to SM and I hope you enjoy this site as much as I did when I first joined.

Please post more picture of Boo to share with the SM family!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good list! I also have the following in case of any squiffy tummy upsets :

(1) Tree Barks Powder/Slippery Elm
(2) Activated Charcoal (ideally in powder form, but tablets can be crushed)

I always try to use natural remedies first....

:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts