Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With so many new Malt moms and new posters, I wanted to remind everyone how important it is to have a basic first aid kit on hand for your furbabies.

Here's my list. Feel free to add to it!

Triple antibiotic ointment
Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrocortisone cream
Alcohol swabs
Benadryl
Pepto Bismal
Kaopectate
Baby Aspirin
Self-adhering bandages
Gauze pads
Eye wash
Small syringe (no needle) marked w/m’s or cc’s for medication administration
Cold Pack
Styptic powder to stop bleeding
Cotton swabs/cotton balls
Thermometer (normal rectal temperature is between 101.0 to 102.5 degrees)
Copy of shot record (in plastic sheet)
Pedialite to replace fluids

You can get one of those plastic storage conatiners with a lid at Walmart or the dollar store to keep everything in. Also, download a copy of of this emergency first aid for pets from the Red Cross, put it in a plastic sleeve, and tuck it in there, too.

http://www.redcross.org/services/disaster/...d/firstaid.html

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
This link from the ASPCA has more to do with 'Emergency Preparedness" but thought good idea to put with this thread.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=emergency

I also was given a sticker that is on the sliding door window and says 'in case of an emergency..please save me".. and has Missy's photo on it. I have been meaning to add to the bottom "I'm a diabetic"..and her vets phone number. Should something ever happen where we wern't here. ( though that is seldom we leave her).

I also have on the refrig door a plastic baggie that holds all Missy pertinent info ( meds etc).plus the number for her vet plus the after hours ER.. with a map.
Terry and Missy

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That reminds me of another good point. If you have a dog with a medical issue or on medication, like my Lady, make sure you get a medical alert tag for their collar or harness. Lady's has "diabetic" and "epileptic" and her vet's name and phone #.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts