Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok... I swear this is my last post for today... (I am at work...shhhh)

Chiqui's bithday is coming and I was thinking I should maybe plan a birthday party for small dogs only. I want to hightlight maybe because at first I was totally convinced but then I talked to a friend and she said that that would be too much... so now I am not sure. I don't want to look like a crazy lady that organizes parties for her dogs... but on the other hand, why not? I love them both so much that I want to celebrate their birthdays...

This is what I was thinking so far... having a treat bar with all kinds of treats, where the owner can chose and serve his/her baby.
Different kinds of waters, there is a natural store that sells natural flavored waters for dogs like cucumber water, lemon water...
Then I was thinking about hiring a caricaturist so the guests can have a caricature of him/herself with their dogs.
Of course have disposal cameras so guests can take pictures...

Can you give me more ideas?? games? ways to entertain the babies? It is too much. Will people think I am crazy?

·
Registered
552 Posts
No, you are not crazy! We love our baby so much that we bought him toys and treats for his birthday. We had a diabetic cake and icecream all vanilla for him. I gave him a tiny piece to enjoy and it didn't bother him. My son made him a party hat to wear. And I bought some balloons for him to pop. It was a private party with just me, my husband and my son. I didn't invite anyone because I didn't want any of our family to think that we are crazy! :new_Eyecrazy: I don't have many friends with dogs. People that I work with tell me that I treat my little man like one of my kids!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
totally UNcrazy. my friend and i had a joint bday party for the buttercup and my friend's dog, buffy (a black pomeranian). we set up a small agility course in her back yard and had contests for the "fastest thru the tunnel" or "best jump" or "most UNafraid of the teeter totter", things like that. each dog that won, won a large bone-shaped cookie that said "happy birthday" on it with sprinkles and all. there were only about 5-6 dogs there, so we made sure to have enough prizes for everyone, and made sure we could come up with a contest that each dog would have a chance to win.
(btw, sailor the silky terrier won the "most antisocial dog who happens to be wearing a green collar to the party" prize....)
it was a fun afternoon, not too much cleanup, and some exhausted pups!

i was planning a party for the buttercup's birthday number one, but i was going to wait for mid-week (her bday was on a monday that year) and then on tuesday.... no one was in a mood for a puppy party any more...it was "that" september 11...

ann marie and the "i WILL have my 1 year old birthday party someday! my mommy promised me!" buttercup

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I had a party for Toby last December and it was a blast. I think I had more fun planning the party then the actual party...well almost! Anyway, since it was December and my house is pretty small, I limited the people to just close family and a few friends who wouldn't think I was too crazy. I didn't invite any other animals because honestly, I didn't want someone else's dog in my house.

I made this cake for the humans...

(sorry it is a bad picture, it is a picture of a picture)

I also found a mold of "Milkbones" and using that melting candy, made Milkbones for everyone. I served the Milkbones as well as after dinner mints in a plastic dog bowl. I had plates and hats that had dog prints on them and said something like "Wipe your paws" on the napkins.

I made a doggie friendly cake. Here is the recipe...
K-9 Birthday Cake Recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup white or whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 cup shredded carrots
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup honey (optional)
1 egg

Mix the dry ingredients. Add the remaining ingredients and mix quickly. Bake in a greased ring mold at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. You may frost this cake with low fat cottage cheese and decorate with some carrot pieces. Store in the refrigerator.
(Dogs will eat this without the honey added)

*On the “frosting,” sprinkle with crumbled Milkbones.

I also made goodie bags for each person's pet. For example, since it was close to Christmas, everyone got a stocking stuffed with cat or dog related items. The stocking had a place for your dog's picture so I put a picture of Toby in it with a message that said something like "Thanks for coming to my party." Inside the stockings, I included treats, toy, dog/cat picture frames, etc.

Oh and for the people who don't have pets, they got a bird feeder for outside.

Anyway, if you want to see some more pictures or want some other ideas, PM me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great Ideas!! I love the idea of having contests and giving out prices and the birthday bags, I hadn't thought about it!! I'll have to read about agility course couse I have no idea how to do one.

And of course the cake!!, by the way, what an incredible cake!! how long did it take you?

I have a small fenced area. Well it is not that small for our small babies (45 x 120) so I was thinking about inviting all the neighboors and friends with small dogs (under 20 pounds)There are a lot of Shitzus, pomeranians, maltese, havanese and yorkies in my area so I think it will be perfect!

The only problem is the snow. I hope it doesn't snow!!
Thank you so much for all the ideas

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Originally posted by Silvia@Sep 20 2005, 09:42 AM
And of course the cake!!, by the way, what an incredible cake!! how long did it take you?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101411
[/QUOTE]
It took me about 5 hours. It wasn't hard--just time consuming. Plus, I had never frosted a cake with a piping bag, so that accounted for a lot of the time. I got all the supplies at Wal-Mart. :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Definitely have one! For Kylie's first birthday I made homemade cupcakes from scratch! It took me forever to grate the carrots, just so she could eat a tiny little bit of the cupcake...
The things we do for our babies! You only get one first birthday with them, so do it up good!!!

Jess

·
Registered
188 Posts
Oh, not crazy at all. I'm planning on throwing Molly a 1st bday party at a local doggy bakery. Her birthday is in January, so I still have time to plan.

If anyone knows of a resource that lists doggy bday party sites, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts