Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took Petroushka to the groomers today. It was her first time, she's almost 4 months old now. She had a lot of mats, and I was afraid they were going to shave her body. That's exactly what they did. She now looks like she has a huge head and her body looks like a chihuahua.

They told us that that was what they were going to do so I was expecting that.

However... I didn't really know what to expect taking her to a groomer and I don't know the way they're supposed to do things. They kept her there for 3 hours (said it would only be 2 hours but when we called they said they were "running late"). I didn't really like the overall vibe of the place, and they cut her body and didn't say anything to us about it. Also, how long do groomers keep the dog? 2 hours seemed like a really long time...

I just really hated taking her there, she looked so scared and confused when they locked her up in her cage and all these dogs around her were barking at her and going crazy. Is every grooming place like this? I'm new to this so I really don't know..

As soon as she came home she hid in her little bed/house and seemed upset/ashamed. I never laugh at her and keep telling her she's beautiful and giving her lots of love, but she keeps going into her area and hiding.

I know some people here are from S. Cali, can anyone recommend a good groomer??

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Abbey's first groomer had you drop her off at 9 am and pick back up at 3pm. That was soooo long. I found a new place that I will be trying next month and I drop her off at appt. time and pick up in 3 hours, which will be much better!

I was upset when I got Abbey back from the groomers the first time because they had shaved her face :new_Eyecrazy: but like everyone on here said it does grow back fast - So don't worry!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Another story about a bad grooming experience......Get a good book or two, get a video and put the money into a good set of electric clippers and scissors. Do it yourself and you NEVER have to worry again about how your baby is being treated. That's what I did after having a similar experience. If you make a mistake, at least it is YOU that made it, learn from it and move on. It grows back quickly and it gets easier. Start with the small stuff (feet, foot pads and body) and work your way up (the face is the toughest part)! I will never trust a groomer again. There are some on here that have excellent groomers, but I really think those are few and far between. I did not like the idea of leaving Sisse for several hours. You don't know how they are treated. And if a groomer ever cut Sisse and didn't say anything to me, I would of lost my mind with them....

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Where in S. Cali are you? I found a great groomer but he is in Burbank. Some groomers will keep the dogs for at least 3-4 hrs though. The most recent groomer Miko went to in Sherman Oaks has a quicker service for an extra $10 but he was done in less than an hour.

PS. I love your puppy's name (I am Russian
).

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
All the groomers I tried in my area (I now groom the boys myself), wanted to keep the dogs from 9 am to 5 pm, and while that is easier for people with 9-5 jobs, I hated the fact that my boys were going to be in cages all day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by okw@May 20 2005, 07:41 AM
Where in S. Cali are you?  I found a great groomer but he is in Burbank.  Some groomers will keep the dogs for at least 3-4 hrs though.  The most recent groomer Miko went to in Sherman Oaks has a quicker service for an extra $10 but he was done in less than an hour.

PS.  I love your puppy's name (I am Russian
).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63740
[/QUOTE]

I live in Northridge. Burbank and Sherman Oaks aren't too far from where I am. Having her at the groomers for 3-4 hours is something I do not want for her. Can you give me more info on these places?

(I named my puppy after Stravinsky's "Petroushka". I am a huge Russian composer fan.
)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
You know a mobile groomer would probably be the best solution but I have never personally used one. I think they would take the shortest and minimal stress to the puppy!

The one in Sherman Oaks is called Sam's grooming, its on Ventura Blvd. They have this straight through option (for an extra $10) the grooming will be done in an hour or less - so I really like that. However, if you go to this place on weekdays, it normally takes about that little time anyways. They are a bit cheaper. They do what you ask (they write it down) - but they are not artists!! This guy in Burbank on the other hand is! What I like about that place is that they don't cage the dogs. The little dogs all hang out together in one room. The owner has a maltese so he truly understand the coat problems. This place is called Double Dogs (its a little hard to find), they are expensive (normally about $50) and depending on type of cut, dematting, etc sometimes he will take a long time. I don't know...I am honestly not 100% happy with any of them. We have also been to a truly horrible grooming place in pasadena (I can't remember the name). And I would also stay away from Petcos, Petsmarts, etc.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Same thing happened to Kodie the first time he went to the groomers. I now groom Kodie myself... so if he looks bad its MY fault! haha. But then there arent any surprises when i go to pick him up from a groomer and hes bald.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It takes me about 2 hours to bathe, blow dry, clip and finish a dog. If it is matted and I'm dematting, it will take even longer. A cottony or poodle-type coat is much faster to do than a really silky coat that takes more scissor and blending work.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@May 20 2005, 08:56 PM
It takes me about 2 hours to bathe, blow dry, clip and finish a dog. If it is matted and I'm dematting, it will take even longer. A cottony or poodle-type coat is much faster to do than a really silky coat that takes more scissor and blending work.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63921
[/QUOTE]
I dont even do Kodie perfectly and he takes me almost 2hrs!! He has a silky coat.

·
Registered
841 Posts

I take Summer around 8am and Mary our groomer calls asap for me to pick her up around 1 to 2 hrs. later I hate leaving her there I totally trust mary its just i hate to see her locked up for a long time in a strange place she hates it ( I make sure she will start her with in 15 to 30 min. after i drop her off if not i take her back when she's ready for her . I know she's a dog but she's the BABY

·
Registered
249 Posts
That happened to Harley too. First time we had a hair appt he was covered in matts and had to be shaved. It was awlful looking.But now I brush him daily,as to never go thru that again!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The mobile groomer is the way to go if you have one in your area. I took Molly to Petsmart for her first grooming and when I found out she had to be there for 3 hours, I didnt leave her. Plus, it was so crazy in that place! Dogs barking and crying, she was shaking and I hadnt even handed her over yet! I found a great mobile groomer, she even let me sit in on the first grooming. You can kinda see what is happening and discuss just what you what while she is in the process. I think it was more tramatic for me than it was for Molly!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I like that idea more and more I did it a 2 x's with Christy my laso mix and my nieghbor uses one all the time i think there's only like 2 in town and their not that much different in price. I hate leaving her She need to be cut I;m just so nervous .

·
Registered
116 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut@May 20 2005, 10:06 AM
All the groomers I tried in my area (I now groom the boys myself), wanted to keep the dogs from 9 am to 5 pm, and while that is easier for people with 9-5 jobs, I hated the fact that my boys were going to be in cages all day.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63753
[/QUOTE]

I too found the same thing (I'm in Maryland) which is why I try to do it myself. As time goes on, I learn new ways of doing things and I read a lot of the groups posts on grooming tips. Don't worry too much about it. It will grow back and the plus side is that as it grows in, you can work with the hair to bring it back better than ever. I had to shave my yorkie once (she has a thicker coat)and I thought she'd never look the same. However, it worked out great. Her coat came back and as it grew in, I was able to trim it to stay at the legnth that I wanted it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The last new groomer I tried, Puddles was there from 10 am to 3 pm. I had called several times to see if he was ready. That is to long and we will not be going back.
When we were walking out the door, up his leg went and peeeee all over the door facing. I let him do it cause it was their fault, he should have been walked.

At Petsmart I hold Puddles and walk around the store with him until they are ready to start his bath . Once I leave it's only an hour before I get a call to pick him up. They know how I am and they even come and find me when ready to start.

There is no reason for a dog to stay at a groomer 3-6 hours, atleast take them out for a potty break !

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Most groomers ask you to bring in the dog at 9 am and take him back around 3 pm. That's mostly why I started doing Alex myself. I hated having him there being caged. My daughter used a mobile grooming for her shi tzu. It was great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts