Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya all i havent post in a while but im still here.. well Lulu started bleeding about 3 days ago .. and today Spike is trying to do things with her... she is biting him ... now we do want to breed her but not on her first.. what can we do? keeping them in separe rooms is becoming intolerable .. male cries and neighboor is not all too happy.. suggestions or anything??

advice./. what can we do... what is she does get pregnant? what todo??

need a group advice

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Can't help with the practicalities, I always spay/neuter my furbabies.

My one strong suggestion: Don't Let Her Get Pregnant this Young!!! Do whatever it takes to keep them apart!!! All it takes is a few seconds of inattention for the mating to occur!

Actually, why get her pregnant at all? Find out if you can get Lulu spayed while in season. If not, can you board her at the vet? Or, do you have anyone who can care for Spike during Lulu's season?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by SylphidesMom@Feb 26 2005, 08:55 PM
Actually, why get her pregnant at all?  <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38018
[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing and went back to some old posts. Kaley, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you said you have relatives who want Maltese and you were going to breed yours so they can have puppies.

IMHO You are nice to want to accommodate them but I sure wouldn't sacrifice my baby for this reason. There are so many health benefits to her being spayed and there are certainly very real risks with the pregnancy and delivery and the potential of the expense of a C-section.

Also, if you're breeding her with your own male, I've heard that males are never the same afterward and that their whole point in life is to mate again and they are not the pets they once were.

But of course you have a problem right now in that she is in heat. I can't agree enough with Sylphide's Mom.... your best bet is to get one of them out of the house now and they should live apart until her heat is over.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If your dogs breed, you risk losing your bitch to complications from pregnancy and birth. You need to crate them separately for the next 3 weeks or board one of them. She should not be out of your sight and always on a leash if outside for the next 3 weeks.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
get her a Chastity Belt!!! anyway...did you ever get the xmas present? i was your secret santa. sorry i didnt wrap anything and i hope lulu and spike liked their things.

V

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by SylphidesMom@Feb 26 2005, 08:55 PM
Can't help with the practicalities, I always spay/neuter my furbabies. 

My one strong suggestion:  Don't Let Her Get Pregnant this Young!!! Do whatever it takes to keep them apart!!! All it takes is a few seconds of inattention for the mating to occur!

Actually, why get her pregnant at all?  Find out if you can get Lulu spayed while in season.  If not, can you board her at the vet?  Or, do you have anyone who can care for Spike during Lulu's season?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38018
[/QUOTE]

Any reputable vet would advise against having a dog that is in heat spayed!

Alll the significant organs are engorged.
It is safer to wait past the end of this heat.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I'm sorry, but I do see the reason why she'd want to mate her dogs. Maltese are not cheap and she wants to help her family out who wants puppies too! She'll be saving her family THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS. There are many CONS to the idea of mating but if she decides to do it, then we need to help her the best we can. In fact, I know this guy who's shih-tzu had a liter and he gave the babies away to his family and friends and his dog is still alive.

Even if you have your opinions and you want to state your concern, please take a lesson in tact!

Anyway, getting back to the subject...it was pure heck to keep my babies away from each other when Noriko was in heat. Cloud turned into a psycho FREAK! I almost cried because he was so crazy. Seriously, don't let there be any possibility of them mating now. I believe the rule is to wait at LEAST 2 years.

Also, if Spike is bigger than Lulu, don't consider mating them.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole+Feb 27 2005, 02:44 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-vita
@Feb 27 2005, 01:02 AM
I would wanna give the poster heck but if I did probably the idiots on this site would tell me dogs will be dogs!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38072
That's always nice to know...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38075
[/B][/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing..
That was nice to wake up to this morning...

Vita, just wondering why you didn't "edit" and delete your post after you realized you had "accidently" posted it publicly?

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole+Feb 27 2005, 02:44 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-vita
I would wanna give the poster heck but if I did probably the idiots on this site would tell me dogs will be dogs!
[/B][/QUOTE]

I for one do not feel ANYONE here is an IDIOT.And certainly someone who is asking for information shouldnt be critized ,but offered educated information on their questions.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
This is why pets should be fixed as soon as possible. Are you a breeder? I assume not. I assume that you just have a male and a female and you want to breed them because they are cute and you want your family to have puppies. There are so many unwanted puppies out there. Tell your family to adopt and get your dog fixed! Both of them! Take your male to the vet's and get him fixed RIGHT NOW! Then have them keep him for a few weeks. Then after your dog is out of heat take her in to get fixed and then you can take your male home and then when the female is done take her home too.
We have a neighbor a few apartments down that has a male maltese and we have seen him around. I commented that SHE was cute and they told me he was a male. I told them sorry and that I had a female so I just automatically called him a her. They knew I had a female, but never the less when we were walking Fantasia yesterday the woman saw me with Fantasia in my arms (she didn't have her dog outside) and she said she was cute. Then she asked if she was a full breed maltese and I said yes. Then she asked if she was fixed! What a nerve! I said yes and when we got home I thought I should have said "of course, it was the responsible thing to do!"
I'm sorry but people like that make me crazy! She didn't even ask if she was apet store puppy or anything. She would have breed her dog (probably from a pet store as well) with a pet store dog! Probably just because they are "cute" or she thinks she can make some money.
Proper breeding isn't cheap and you would actually be out some money, especially on the first litter.
PLEASE FIX YOUR DOGS!!! I can't stress this enough!!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182+Feb 27 2005, 07:59 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 27 2005, 02:44 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-vita

[/QUOTE]

I for one do not feel ANYONE here is an IDIOT.And certainly someone who is asking for information shouldnt be critized ,but offered educated information on their questions.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38086
[/B][/QUOTE]
Wow, that is pretty harsh Vita. If we are all idiots on this site, why in the heck do you still lurk around and read our idiotic posts!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
How funny! Vita can't abide us being mean to MO so she graciously leaves SM but she has no compunction about lurking and calling some of us names! (I KNOW she didn't mean me when she said "idiots"!
)

C'mon Vita. Come on out and face us like a Maltese Mommy!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie+Feb 27 2005, 12:19 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 27 2005, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by [email protected] 27 2005, 02:44 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-vita

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38086
Wow, that is pretty harsh Vita. If we are all idiots on this site, why in the heck do you still lurk around and read our idiotic posts!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38148
[/B][/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Feb 27 2005, 12:36 PM
How funny!  Vita can't abide us being mean to MO so she graciously leaves SM but she has no compunction about lurking and calling some of us names!  (I KNOW she didn't mean me when she said "idiots"!
)

C'mon Vita.  Come on out and face us like a Maltese Mommy!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38154
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
just locking this up until i figure out what all my PM's are about

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.