Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Often I feel that I'm writing to dogs instead of real live humans. Could you please consider using your first names or at least made up ones that look real? It is extremely difficult to talk to someone who has a dog name. We are a small forum. However, even larger forums that are dedicated to one particular topic, often use first names....let's exclude AOL. I also believe it might help moved our forum along better whewn we are talking to a Susan and not a Lovemydog. It makes it, at least for me, difficult to have conversations. Very often people on small forums get to know each other to some extent and not just the dog. It might just help move the forum along.
Gail....Colette'sMom

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
hello, my name is Joe and i'm....oops, wrong meeting :D

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
p.s. if you go to "MY Controls" above and then look to the left for "edit signature" i think is what it says you can put your name in there and it will show in every post

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My concern about using names is the privacy issue. Didn't we recently have a member who had to change her logon name because of internet stalking?

This is also why I generally don't post to the types of postings that ask for details about our personal and professional lives. I like to keep my professional life, well, professional and my private life, well, private.

I teach at the university level on privacy, technology, security, including dataveillance and data collection systems. If you knew just how much about your life can be compiled about you, and either stolen or sold, you would probably be cautious about what you reveal online. Our conversations aren't just available to forum lurkers. Everything we write can be collected, compiled, and mined, by intelligent agents and systems crawling the web for this purpose.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Originally posted by SylphidesMom@May 13 2005, 06:03 PM
My concern about using names is the privacy issue.  Didn't we recently have a member who had to change her logon name because of internet stalking?

This is also why I generally don't post to the types of postings that ask for details about our personal and professional lives.  I like to keep my professional life, well, professional and my private life, well, private.

I teach at the university level on privacy, technology, security, including dataveillance and data collection systems.  If you knew just how much about your life can be compiled about you, and either stolen or sold, you would probably be cautious about what you reveal online.  Our conversations aren't just available to forum lurkers.  Everything we write can be collected, compiled, and mined, by intelligent agents and systems crawling the web for this purpose.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62257
[/QUOTE]

Alrighty then! My name is Miranda, and I am an astronaut working out of a high tech government agency in Houston, Texas that shall go unnamed. I mess with nanophysics and the kazoo as hobbies, but when pressed, I will sometimes whittle away the time practicing piano concertos at Carnegie Hall.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
this is a great thread! its sooo hard learning everyones name. i agree that you should have a name (or a fake name) in your signature....if its not in your screen name.

im cathy!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts