Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by SylphidesMom@May 13 2005, 07:03 PM
I teach at the university level on privacy, technology, security, including dataveillance and data collection systems.  If you knew just how much about your life can be compiled about you, and either stolen or sold, you would probably be cautious about what you reveal online.  Our conversations aren't just available to forum lurkers.  Everything we write can be collected, compiled, and mined, by intelligent agents and systems crawling the web for this purpose.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62257
[/QUOTE]

Is this really true? I am somewhat concerned about privacy issues but I thought I was just being paranoid. I have posted personal details about where I go to school, live, etc but I figured this can be found on the web anyways. When I google my name, I find an article from my school's newspapers that even reveals the details about what I am doing this year! However, privacy/security is definitely a concern.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Originally posted by okw+May 14 2005, 01:25 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SylphidesMom
@May 13 2005, 07:03 PM
I teach at the university level on privacy, technology, security, including dataveillance and data collection systems.  If you knew just how much about your life can be compiled about you, and either stolen or sold, you would probably be cautious about what you reveal online.  Our conversations aren't just available to forum lurkers.  Everything we write can be collected, compiled, and mined, by intelligent agents and systems crawling the web for this purpose.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62257
Is this really true?<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62330
[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh yes. My students include intelligence and information officers in the military and law enforcement, as well as directors of libraries and corporate information gatherers. The research and texts we cover tell us just how much is out there. Those working in the trenches confirm that the death of privacy is upon us, and security and protection of our information is a real concern.

For example, I immediately removed my phone number from the google feature in which one's phone number googled reveals one's name, address, and a map to one's house. When I was younger, and single, I was stalked more than once. Now that I am older and married, I don't worry about that--but the potential for unwanted surveillance by strangers remains.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Actually, I don't use my first name for anything on line...lol...I use Airmid-The Celtic Goddess of Herbal Healing..lol

So, By divulging my first name, noone can actually track me down...

I'm Lynne. I'm a secret agent stationed in a nation in the Middle east...I capture bad guys, who shall remain nameless, and do Unheard of thing to them....

OK-My name really is Lynne, and I'm not a secret agent...but my other personality, XENA is.....heh.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Originally posted by Airmid@May 14 2005, 06:43 PM
Actually, I don't use my first name for anything on line...lol...I use Airmid-The Celtic Goddess of Herbal Healing..lol

So, By divulging my first name, noone can actually track me down...

I'm Lynne.  I'm a secret agent stationed in a nation in the Middle east...I capture bad guys, who shall remain nameless, and do Unheard of thing to them....

OK-My name really is Lynne, and I'm not a secret agent...but my other personality, XENA is.....heh.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62354
[/QUOTE]

My name is in secret code if you decypher my code name here
Sherylmint you will find my real name hidden, it is Sheryl, Hello!
Anyone interested in stealing my identity go ahead make my day and pay my bills for me will you, please?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
we have alot onew members lately, i think we need to revisit the first names thread, lets hear them

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Uhmm....my name is Carrie...
(Mom to Massimo)

-c

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by sherylmint@May 14 2005, 07:37 PM
My name is in secret code if you decypher my code name here
Sherylmint you will find my real name hidden, it is Sheryl, Hello!
Anyone interested in stealing my identity go ahead make my day and pay my bills for me will you, please?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62359
[/QUOTE]

That's the way I feel too! And they would BE real disappointed if they got hold of any of my credit accounts!

Hi, I'm Traci, and I'm a Brinkley-a-holic.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Well despite confusion we have had in the past MY name is Lilly. My dogs name is Sunny, but me I am Lilly. I have no dog named Lilly. LOL ok just had to make that clear I am not upset at all with people who have gotten it wrong before I just wanted to make it clear since apparently my parents gave me a good name for a maltese.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Originally posted by Joe@Sep 29 2003, 05:07 PM
p.s. if you go to "MY Controls" above and then look to the left for "edit signature" i think is what it says you can put your name in there and it will show in every post 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=634
[/QUOTE]

If you don't put your name in your signature, nobody is going to remember all the names in this thread.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts