Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today Kylee and I attended our first Puppy Head Start class (well I went last week but it was just orientation and I didnt have to take her). I just want to say that I am so happy with it and I am so glad I decided to do it! The class is just me and one other dog. The other dog is a rottweiler but she is a sweetie pie and they do a reallly good job of keeping them apart (i.e. keep my puppy safe). They had one time to interact and it was very strict supervision with me holding Kylee in my lap and having the rottie sniff her and then the rottie was put in a down stay while the trainer stood on her leash and Kylee was allowed to go over and smell her. The rest of the time we were on opposite ends of the room. It's really nice also having such a small amount of people in the class because we get very very individualized instruction. The trainer will give us an instruction and then make her adjustments to me about what I should do with my dog. The trainer complimented me on how smart and friendly Kylee was and said she might be the star of the show! Kylee got everything after only the first time we did it and the trainer commented on how smart malteses are in general. The only problem with the class is that the puppies dont get to have their free playtime because of their size difference buttttt I get to take Kylee to a different class on Thursday nights to have playtime with another class that has 2 smaller dogs in it- a maltese and a cavalier king charles spaniel (or whatever they are called). So overall I am very happy so far with my training and wanted to share my experience so those of you who are on the fence about whether or not to take classes. ~Lori & Kylee

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lacey is currently taking a clicker training class. She took the first one and now we are into the more advance class. The trainer also told me that maltese are very smart little dogs and she is very impressed with Lacey. This week we have to teach Lacey to walk backwards...taking a step or more back in a straight line. Lacey has learned to stay away from our feet so she will sidestep us so we don't step on her feet. So this should be a little bit of a challenge. We did have 2 other dogs in the class but the last class one of the dogs was asked to take the first class...was very glad to hear that. This dog was a lab/rott mix and was out of hand. It keep looking at Lacey and would lick its chops...you could just see what it was thinking..."snack." This dogs name is "Baby" and picture a big dog that guards a junkyard. The other dog is a mix of lab and lots of other things. Very friendly but wants to play alot. Lacey just ignores this dog and does her thing...walking like a little princess. I think she loves to show the other dogs up...look I can do it and you can't! Of course I am very proud of her.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I'm so glad you had a good experinece with training
I live in a bad area for dog training...everyone here is so mean to animals and I just won't have it. I have checked out several places, and walked out on every one. I took my dads German Shephard to a class and we left that one too. Good trainers are hard to find anyway...but I'm not sure they even exist in this part of Texas. I'm just going to buy a lot of books and hope for the best. It's GREAT that you found a trainer you like, good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Bellasmommy - if you have a groomer try asking if they know of a good trainer. Lacey's first trainer was great - she does it for the love of the animals. The trainer Lacey has now is a handler. She has been great with Lacey. She understands that Lacey should be treated with love and respect. It took me about 6 months to find a training center I like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts