Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got her last year, as a teeny tiny pup...
here are some pictures of her growing up
and the last one is a picture I drew of her :)

Oh, and I have a question about her coat...is it considered "wooly"? I've seen some really silky maltese, and she's not one of them! Is it because she has more coat, or is it because of improper brushing (broken hair shafts), or is it just because it's an incorrect coat type?

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
Hi! And Welcome!!! Casper is adorable!!! What a cute smile, you've really captured her sweet smile in your drawling. It looks like Casper may have a cottony coat, same as my Ava. I had her in full coat for a about a year and a half, but she was so full and fluffy and neither of us enjoyed the grooming. And guess what, I think she's even cuter with short hair!!! Woohoo!!

I'm glad you found our forum and have joined. I look forward to hearing more about your little sweet girl.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
She is Beautiful!! Some coats are silky and some are like cotten. What shampoo and conditioner are you using?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Casper is just too CUTE!!! I loved seeing her baby photos and on up! She's a beauty- and I also love your drawing of her! Great job!

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
Awww so cute. What a sweet face!
She's cottony like my Emily. You can improve the look of a cottony coat w/ a good moisturizing shampoo,I use Organics Olive Oil shampoo and a conditioner w/ olive oil. I get it in the black hair care section. It's moisturizing w/o being heavy or greasy. It helps the coat lay down a bit more too.

A little light spritz of Cowboy Magic body shine wil help too,especially in combing. It helps the comb glide on the fur and not break it,plus sprayed on the rear end will help those little turds (hitchhikers)slide right off. I use a comb instead of a brush,I get less breakage and I can get right to the skin so I have very few mats and they don't look like giant fluff balls. It does take longer but I don't have to do it as often as I did when I brushed them.
If the Cowboy Magic makes him look too greasy or oily,you can water it down to half strength. I use it full on Emily,my cottom ball girl and half strength on the others.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
:Welcome 3: Casper is so adorable. You really captured her great smile
in your drawing. You'll love it here, a lot of information to help you with your little girl. My Chloe has a cotton coat. After a year I cut her down to a puppy cut with at top knot. I do miss her long coat but this way she can wear all her pretty little dress without matting.:wub:

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
:Welcome 4: Welcome to you and Casper!!! He's so handsome. I love seeing him grow up in pix. I know you'll get a lot of great info here. Tyler has a silky coat so I'm not much help in the hair dept but it looks like Casper has a cottony one. What shampoo and conditioner do you use?

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
She is absolutely beautiful. I think her coat is cottony like my dolce. Uve gotten great tips. Welcome to SM!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Adorable!! You really captured Casper in your drawing!! You are going to love it here....I know I do. So much information to help you with whatever you need can be found right here. Welcome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, everyone's so friendly here. Thanks for such a warm welcome!
I really do want to cut her down to a puppy trim, it would make grooming so much easier. We're not using any conditioner at the moment, actually. Maybe that's contributing to the problem a bit too.
Ah, "cotton" coat, is what it's called. I'm used to Siberian Huskies, and a long fluffy coat is called a "wooly" for the breed!
I really like more of a Cocker Spaniel style....longer coat on the legs, and shorter on the body, don't know how that'd work out with Casper though.
I see that a cottony coat is quite common? Is it a breed fault?

Thanks for everyone's comments and input!

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Hi and welcome. If you're not using a conditioner I'd give it a try for awhile before deciding on cutting her short. It may do wonders for her coat...hair, as we call it for maltese.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts