1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a huge thunderstorm about an hour ago and I hurriedly put
Teddy into his thundershirt. My husband and I actually think that it made
a difference!!! :chili: Teddy usually continually jumps at me and wants
me to pick him up during a storm. He stayed next to me tonight, but I was cooking in the kitchen and he was able to stand on the floor.... I didn't have
to hold him.... which is a major improvement. He really seemed calm.
So, the first trial of the thundershirt was a success!!! :aktion033:
I'll keep you updated about future experiences.

Debbie

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
That is wonderful! I know you are relieved to have something that calms him down. CeeCee goes crazy......Did you put up a link to the shirt?? I would like to order one........

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Hooray for Teddy and his Thundershirt!:chili:

I wonder if they make Thunderpants for little boys to wear when little girls are in season? :HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Cassie is terrified of thunder storms, and it's almost a daily occurrence in the summer and fall. Please let us know how it works the next time you have a storm. I've been thinking of getting one, but I just can't understand how it works.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Pat - the thundershirt applies pressure all over. It's similar to what they are currently using with autistic children. It looks like a regular t-shirt, but it's tight. Lacie's is pink.

Debbie -- I'm so glad that it seemed to help Teddy. It seems to help Lacie too. I got one earlier at the beginning of summer which is when the monsoon season begins here.

Lacie normally pants and looks "wild eyed" and hides under the bed and will not come to me and cannot be calmed. I had tried everything -- the calming drops, the plug-in with DPA, etc., etc. I didn't want to "drug her" but that seemed to be my last option. Now that we have the thundershirt, she will sit by me during storms. She wants to be close and is still a little anxious BUT NOTHING like she is without it.

I'm so glad that it seems to be working for you too. :)

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
The concept of the shirt is taken from the soothing effects that weight, compression and contact have on individuals with different typs of autism and aspbergers. When these individuals are in a state of panic, anxiety, or uncontrolled emotional episodes it has been shown that hugging or putting on a weighted jacket helps to soothe the person.

I would expect it to work depending on the reaction an animal has to storms or car rides (whether it is fear of the noise alone or an actual physiological reaction).

I am so glad that it worked for Teddy!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
That's great news! I was wondering how he was doign with the THundershirt - glad that it seems to be working!

I wonder if they make Thunderpants for little boys to wear when little girls are in season? :HistericalSmiley:
OMG!!! Did you just really say that LOL!!! That was hilarious, but oddly enough is a great idea! :HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
just ordered mine for CeeCee. I had previously ordered her one that was twice as expensive and you have to put it over her head and work it over her body and it was awful. I sent it back........this one is so convient, easy to put on with the velcro and I am so happy to hear about it. Thanks so much!:chili:

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts

SPIT TAKE!!:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley::smrofl::smrofl: Maybe this nation can check on them for teenage boys too. I can see the headlines: Drop in Teen Pregnancy Rate Thanks to Thunderpants.:HistericalSmiley: or Wear Thunderpants, not Underpants.
Night night -- back to work for me. :blush:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Glad the Thundershirt is helping him right away! I have read that you should continue to see improvements. :) Finally, something to help the little ones get through storms/fireworks!

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
I'm so glad it worked. I had a dog that would go into a full panic at the first sound of thunder so I know how bad it can be. I'm really lucky with the girls, they don't pay any attention to it at all.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Mary....

I got an email today from thundershirt.com that said, "Introducing thundershirt gear!". I almost fell out of my chair ...:HistericalSmiley: I thought for sure that they had read your post and were now going to offer "thunderpants"... :HistericalSmiley:. But, unfortunately, it's just thundershirt t-shirts and baseball caps for people. Why would anyone want to pay for and wear a shirt advertising thundershirts? :blink:

Thanks for the laugh, Mary!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts