Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so Belle comes home next Wednesday, and her first vet appt. w/our vet is Friday morning. What was your approx. cost for the 1st vet visit? If you remember! I think the lady on the phone said $25, plus whatever shot she needs @ her age.... plus, they want me to bring in some Belle poo
, which is gross, but I know its a good idea....

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
It's different everywhere but the vets around here usually charged about the same for everything but the visit itself. It's usually $15 per vaccination and $15 for the fecal exam. Then if she's old enough they will talk to you about flea preventative and hart worm preventative (those get expensive but I don't think she will be old enough for them). Then if she has worms you have to deworm her and then that's extra. Plus any unforeseen things as well. I assume you are getting from a reputable breeder so you don't have to worry about all those unforeseen things but it's always better to be prepared. I I think my first vet appointment with Fantasia was like $150 but it was an expensive place and they charged $35 just for the appointment.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The breeder that I am getting her from does most of her own shots, so she will be up to date. Well, except for the newest ones. I need to find that vaccination schedule I printed out.... anyways, so, yeah. I figured it would be different everywhere, I just dont want to show up in his office and fall over when they give me a bill!
I just know its $25 for a visit, and I guess I'll cross my fingers and go from there!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I think Sunny's first very visit ended up being around $170, it was more than a normal visit usually is.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I think it was about $80. No matter what the cost of a visit is at least $40 just for the visit, but it usually comes to $100-$150 depending on what they are getting done.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
some vets dont recognize the shots given by breeders, b/c sometimes the vaccines are not handled properly, and to assure the vet that the dog got what it needs. so be prepared for this also. but if the pup had any shots, it would only have been its first set. i would just call ur vet and ask how much an office visit/exam is and first set of puppy shots and fecal are. then u will know...and if there is any type of meds she needs that will be extra. if u want flea preventative and heartworm preventative that will make ur bill go up.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
We charge $50 for an office visit. Whether or not they need shots depends on when the last one was given and how old she is. We send new puppies home with the first dose of interceptor free (since they usually need the little size and we don't want to sell them a whole pack) and we always like to do a fecal and deworm if necessary.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Jackie when you do a fecal, do your customers bring in the poop ? I never had to. They do it with a kind of spoon ?? You can explain better.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Our new vet charges $25 for the appointment and then whatever else you need is added on. I always call before hand and ask them to tally up the bill lol. We go over everything over the phone and come to a final estimate so I know how much it will be and if I have enough. So just call them and tell them you are budgeting (that's what I do) and you want to know how much the visit will cost. Tell them it's your first time. Tell them she's will be an 8 1/2 week old Maltese and you want to know what they recommend vaccination wise. Then start adding up. Don't let them give Lepto or Corona (sp?) or Lyme. I think she will be too young for flea and tick preventative and I also think too young for heart worm pills but I could be wrong. It's been 3 years since Fantasia went to her first appointment. Anyway they will go over everything with you on the phone.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Apr 26 2005, 09:04 PM
Jackie when you do a fecal, do your customers bring in the poop ? I never had to. They do it with a kind of spoon ?? You can explain better.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57050
[/QUOTE]

Janine, we would prefer that you bring a sample. Just a small amount in a baggie is fine. You can get some with the fecal loop, but some dogs really dislike that and if they just went, they may be empty!

·
Registered
76 Posts
this is a really interesting thread! I took a while to find a vet, there ended up being a couple that I liked but this one's philosophy worked for me. He sold me a "puppy package" which included all vaccines, several fecal exams, first three months of hearworm preventative all for $120 -- I feel like I really got a bargain compared to what some of you have to pay.

On the first visit, it was just an exam, no shots, nothing, just to get the puppy used to being handled by the vet. He encourages me to drop in whenever convenient for him to "just say hi" to my puppy without doing anything negative, he thinks it helps build a relationship with the dog so Tristan is about 4 months now and he's visited this vet about 5 different times (each time I get to ask a couple of questions too) and so far all I've shelled out is the $120. Guess I'll count my blessings.

·
Registered
226 Posts
tessa's first vist was $180. the vets in santa barbara are very expensive!
but that did include all her shots, including the one for kennel cough that they put in her nose and the lepto shot (i know many don't get this but she had no adverse reactions and we rather be safe than sorry). we also got 6 capstar pills and 6 sentinel tablets...so i think it was worth it.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Our first vist with chester was 175.
Then the second was 150. I was in shock for the third visit as all the shot were over and it was just a checkup still 150. Gee. I found the vist was 60.00 without treatment.

Same thing for chelsey. I actually got a lot of frebeis when chelsey went in for her spay. they trimed her nails free and some other stuff too. That was shocking.
Then when I brought her back to get the stiches removed it was Freeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
They did not even charge for the visit.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by okw+Apr 27 2005, 09:35 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Apr 27 2005, 07:33 PM
I've spent almost $4000 this month. Feel better? LOL
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57454
Wow. That is amazing. It puts our surgery tag of $2400 into a compltely difference perspective. Is it that much every month?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57457
[/B][/QUOTE]

No. He already had an endoscopy, ultrasound, etc. and is having laproscopic liver biopsies taken. Plus hospitalization, bloodwork, medications, etc.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I know this is thread is for an initial vet visit-first time puppy...but after hearing some of the costs, I got to looking at my receipts from the last few visits, and I am really lucky to have a cheap vet.

For Brink's leg exam the other day-
18.00 for the Metacam
16.00 for examination/office visit

For the 2 cats today-
0.00 Feline Annual Spencer
9.00 examination with Vaccs-Spencer
5.00 FVRCP-C Spencer-
15.00 feline leukemia-spencer
8.00 rabies-Spencer
0.00 fecal-complimentary spencer

Callie (same as Spencer)

I read somewhere that somebody's vet charged 70.00 just for the visit!
Somebody else's was 50...we would have to be losing some pets if ours charged that much!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts