Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted in another thread about how I am breeding Betta fish. The original thread is http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/49-anything-goes/103773-betta-fish-breeding-my-hobby.html if anyone wants to see the parents. Anyway, they are about 4.5 weeks old now and doing great. I got these two pictures and wanted to share. They are so cute!

He looks like he has googly eyes, I love it!

In this pic you can see my largest baby as well as one that is a bit deformed. The deformed one gets around really well though, and eats great. So long as he has a good quality of life, I will not cull him. He'll be kept as my own little pet. I have a hard time with the idea of culling anyway.

There are about 50 babies in all and I'm loving this!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the gimpy guy. You can definitely see where he is a bit twisted up. He gets around great though and has no trouble getting his share of the grub!

·
Registered
762 Posts
How cool and exciting!! Thanks for sharing the update and the awesome pics.

So how big are they now? It's really hard to get an idea of their size in your pics but I'm guessing they are still tiny.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The largest are about half an inch in length. The smallest are just over a quarter inch. They've gotten very curious now. Many of them zoom to the front of the tank to check out what's going on. They are really neat.

·
Registered
847 Posts
How coool! I LOVE the little googly eye picture :) Reminds me of a character from Finding Nemo or something. How old will they be when they start turning the vivid colors? I would love sitting there and watching them.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thanks for sharing. You will never believe it, but I was thinking of your fish as I was driving home last nite.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
That's great! and so cool!! I had a breeding pair of angels. They kept having babies and I tried a few times to raise them, but no go. Right now I am trying to save my 7 yr old kissing fish. Some how my 40 gal tank got something nasty in it, so I am treating it and the fish.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Thank you for posting updated pics of the babies!!! They are starting to get some color it looks like, and wow, they are growing so fast!

They remind me of guppy babies at this stage. Isn't it hard to find homes for 50 new bettas? lol

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How coool! I LOVE the little googly eye picture :) Reminds me of a character from Finding Nemo or something. How old will they be when they start turning the vivid colors? I would love sitting there and watching them.
They've already started to get a slightly orange cast to their bodies, but it won't be for another couple of weeks that they really change over. Some Betta keep changing colors over their whole lives, though these ones probably won't.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for sharing. You will never believe it, but I was thinking of your fish as I was driving home last nite.
Really? Ha, what a coincidence! That must have been what prompted me to post an update, lol!

That's great! and so cool!! I had a breeding pair of angels. They kept having babies and I tried a few times to raise them, but no go. Right now I am trying to save my 7 yr old kissing fish. Some how my 40 gal tank got something nasty in it, so I am treating it and the fish.
It's scary when a tank gets something in it. It's not like you can just scoop out the fish and take them to the vet. Luckily, I've had very few problems (and nothing in my fry tank), but I worry a lot.

Thank you for posting updated pics of the babies!!! They are starting to get some color it looks like, and wow, they are growing so fast!

They remind me of guppy babies at this stage. Isn't it hard to find homes for 50 new bettas? lol
I'm a member of a few fish forums and right now I'm worried I won't have enough to fill the demand for this spawn! I've had a ton of people wanting a pair, so we shall see. I also have a few people in my local area that are wanting some as well. I do plan on keeping at least a couple for myself for show and breeding.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Those are amazing!! It's going to be so awesome to watch them grow up and see how their colors turn out. When do you have to separate them from each other? I guess right now there's no telling which ones are male or female. :D

I have a 45 gallon that I used to keep platys and angels in....I wasn't interested in a population explosion so I let nature take it's course with the angel and the baby platys. One actually grew up and lived for two years! I remember he was special because the first time we saw him was on my birthday. :) And I'm starting that tank back up this week finally! I'll probably be all excited and post my own pictures. :)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Thanks for updating! They are cuties! :wub:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those are amazing!! It's going to be so awesome to watch them grow up and see how their colors turn out. When do you have to separate them from each other? I guess right now there's no telling which ones are male or female. :D

I have a 45 gallon that I used to keep platys and angels in....I wasn't interested in a population explosion so I let nature take it's course with the angel and the baby platys. One actually grew up and lived for two years! I remember he was special because the first time we saw him was on my birthday. :) And I'm starting that tank back up this week finally! I'll probably be all excited and post my own pictures. :)
I'd love to see pictures, I'm always interested in other people's tanks!

I'll have to start seperating them out as they start showing aggression. The females can often be kept together, but the males will start beating on each other and on the females. Hopefully I'll have a couple more weeks before I need to start pulling them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts