Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="font-family:Times">I read that fish oil capsules can be given to dogs for skin and allergy relief.
My question is what type of fish oil (for humans or are there some made specifically for dogs?) and where can I purchase them?
Also would like to know how much and how often I should give my pup some.
Thanks....</span>

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I give Lady 3V Caps and they have really helped with her allergies. I get the size for small dogs from Revival so the dosage is given (one capsule per day)

http://www.revivalanimal.com/product.asp?pn=23%2D260

When my vet recommended that I give them to Lady, she said I could just get fish oil from the drug store, poke a hole in the capsule and squirt a little on her food. I tried this at first but found that the pin hole disappears almost immediately so it's impossible to aim when you squirt. I got more oil on myself and all over my kitchen trying to squeeze a slimy capsule! I found the 3V caps to be much easier. It also comes in a pump style.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
I wish I had just gotten a good fish oil for humans that is more refined and no odor. Our vet wanted Frosty on 3V Snip Tip "HP" caps. The HP must stand for "high powered" or something like it, because a small dog dose is one every other day. They were around $25 for 60. They have a tip to snip off and squirt the oil on food. Nice idea, except the oil is so smelly it smells up the kitchen. If I get it on my hands it's worse then garlic to get rid of! and the worse part is Frosty won't go near the stuff! Even one drop covered up with his food makes the whole dish off limits. He likes cooked fish, but this stuff is ransid smelling. I don't know what to do with it now. I'm hoping my neighbor with 2 huge dogs will take it. Her dogs will eat anything.

I don't know why I even tried to change to this stuff. I guess thinking the vet knew best. I've given Frosty "Missing Link" ( with Glucosamine) for years. He loves it and it's the Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. It isn't as potent as 3V HP caps, but probably good enough and he loves it. He hasn't had skin allergy problems since he's been on it, and no red-tear staining.

Some of the breeders I've talked to use regular human Flaxseed Oil instead of Fish Oil, and Vit. E caps that you cut open and add to the food.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
My Irish Setter had some kind of reaction to something last year. All her hair fell out from her shoulder blades down to (but not including) her tail and all of her belly the inside of her legs and vulva were BARE. When it started (she was shedding WAY more than normal, I would find clumps of hair all over the carpet and on the furniture, and when I pet her my hand would be full of hair- I freaked out) I took her to my Vet. They said it was spring and she was just shedding. Mind you, I've had her since she was a pup, I think I KNOW what normal shedding looks like. The couldn't find any irritation. Well, in the next week she looked like she was shaved down so I took her back. They said it was most likely some kind of allergy. She's 8 years old and she has NEVER had anything like this before. They ended up giving her a cortozone <sp?> shot and Allerderm EFA-CAPS HP (high Potenency fatty acid for dogs over 50lbs, they cost me $13) and told me to give them to her until they were gone (1 pill a day for 60 days). She fully recovered and I STILL don't know what caused it! They told me to break them open and squeaze them on her food....I did it once (snipped the end)..it smelled so BAD I just opted to administer it in PILL form.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts