Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done all Frosty's grooming for these 13 years, but tomorrow he's going to his first groomer. I haven't met the lady. She was recommended by his vet. I don't know anyone in this area with a Maltese, so couldn't get a personal recommendation. The only reason I'm doing this now is because of his behavior when I try to do it now. I don't have a clue why he's turned vicious toward me when he's being brushed or anything, but I'm crossing my fingers that he won't be to the groomer. He hasn't so far at the vet's. So I'm not only worried what he's going to look like, I'm worried he'll freak out and try to hurt somebody! and that they won't be able to get him done. I didn't even ask the price, because it has to be done and I don't know if she'll be able to do all, or part of it. I'm hoping she'll only charge for what she's able to do. Does that sound like the right thing? Or should she be able to charge a flat rate? I've heard she charges $40. normally.

· Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
You may want to talk with the groomer, prior to leaving him. Letting her know his likes and dislikes so she would know what to expect.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85455

Since Frosty is deaf now and is having fear and biting issues, is a senior with some health problems and is on meds--I've written up a sheet with all his info. i.e. vet, phone #'s, what I'd like done, what he hates most, etc. I'm hoping she won't be put off and feel like I'm telling her how to run her business. I told her when I made the appt. about his history and she agreed to give it a try. I'd love to have him all clean and spiffy before taking him in, but the reason I've had to make the appt. is he won't let be do it without getting badly bit.

· Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
K/C's Mom: Yup, that's the plan. The only way I can brush him is take him for a ride in Daddy's PU. While Daddy drives I brush. It's not easy! Frosty with his age changes now is scared in a vehicle. He stands up in my lap with his front feet on the window sill like he's trying to get out. He's so involved in that, I can brush away without a fight, except he's leaning against my chest so I can't get but one side very well! He will, if I'm very slow and careful, let me clean his face (at home) every few days.

· Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Frosty's appt. went OK. Not great. She used his muzzle probably more than she needed to, but she said she was glad she had it. She was amazed how as soon as she quit doing something that made him want to bite, he'd be just a sweet as pie. She said even cuddley. She said "he looks horrible" when I picked him up. I wouldn't say horrible, just short hair, which on a Malt does look anything like with longer hair. I'm not pleased with his ears! They are short and cut squared off. She didn't know how to leave them more Maltese like. Out of 800 clients she said they only do 2 Maltese, and they are just cut short. (I'm always saying this area doesn't know what a Maltese is!).

At least he is clean and easier to take care of, and he came out of it with no problems. This way I didn't get bit, or have a nervous breakdown! I'll have to have the vet do his glands and ears when they need it. She doesn't want to upset him that much. He'll remember she hurt him, he always does!

Not sure if we'll go back. I'd rather have someone who can put a cute face and ears on him. However, they loved him there and took good care of him. Even though he is so touchy. That's more important than the way he looks! :D

· Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jul 31 2005, 09:19 AM
I'm so glad things worked out!! Since she handled him so well and is willing to "work" with him, perhaps bring a photo of the face you like and maybe she can duplicate it. I thought the squared off ears were a normal part of a puppy cut... ??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86163
[/QUOTE]
I did send pictures with him, in fact I used your sig. picture with Kallie circled, the big one of Lizzy, and one of Puddles in a new short cut.
She REALLY squared off his ears. More than any I've ever seen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.